Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #41
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of seasons ago:

Other teams: "Hey Tre, I'll give you a bag of pucks for Bennett"
Tre: click

Two seasons from now:

Tre: "Anyone want Bennett for a bag of pucks?"
crickets...

Bennett isn't that bad, yet, if you still can get something for him. Worse thing that can happen is if he ends up like another Stajan where no one wants to take him and he retires in a Flames uniform and basically achieved nothing in the end for himself and for the organization.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #42
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Ok, it's every other gm that talks and not treliving.

Does saying I think a guy with good media relationships is good for the organization jive with my massive anti-flames point of view? That, with this most recent Peter's debacle, having a GM with a solid relationship among the leagues most important opinion makers saved us all a lot of grief?

Does that fit into my massive anti flames point of view or does it suggest you are completely intolerant to anything even approaching criticism about the team, iamnotkenking?
Where did you say "a guy with good media relationships is good for the organisation", Flash Walken, I must have missed that.
I just saw the initial drive by, and then this:

Quote:
Since treliving arrived, one of the leakiest organizations around imo.
I readily admit I wear Flames-coloured glasses, but will call them out, but drive-bys are not my preferred method of so doing.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #43
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post

Bennett isn't that bad, yet, if you still can get something for him. Worse thing that can happen is if he ends up like another Stajan where no one wants to take him and he retires in a Flames uniform and basically achieved nothing in the end for himself and for the organization.
Worst thing that can happen is the Flames move him to another organization (to make it the worst in division or in Canada) and he then goes on to become a 20 goal 50pt pest and all we get is a mid round pick.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:31 PM   #44
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A couple of seasons ago:

Two seasons from now:

crickets...

It is times like this that we need to remember that Bennett is the same age as Mangiapane. Sure Bennett has not lived up to expectations, and 23 is no longer young, but statistically speaking age 24-27 are the peak production years for NHL forwards. The Flames should not sell low on a player who can provide what he does, at the cap hit he has.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 12-04-2019 at 02:35 PM.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #45
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A couple of seasons ago:

Two seasons from now:

crickets...

If he's that bad in two seasons from now, Flames just have to simply walk away from his arbitration ruling and he will become UFA *crickets*
CalgaryFan1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #46
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Too bad the Flames and Ducks couldn’t get the pre-expansion trade that had Bennett and Lindholm as the main pieces over the finish line. Would have been a huge win for the Flames as tough as it would have been to see Bennett leave and join a division rival. The Flames didn’t want to lose the physicality and intangible aspect of Bennett’s positive impact in the dressing room, but overrated those impacts relative to what Lindholm was going to deliver.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 02:47 PM   #47
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

If I had to choose Bennett or Jankowski right now......see ya MARK.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #48
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Where did you say "a guy with good media relationships is good for the organisation", Flash Walken, I must have missed that.
I just saw the initial drive by, and then this:

I readily admit I wear Flames-coloured glasses, but will call them out, but drive-bys are not my preferred method of so doing.
I'm going to need a definition of a drive by. The mod team won't supply one so I assume it's one of those things when you know it when you see it and want to punish it.

You never asked about my opinion on the leaks because you were already elbows deep on your computer accusing a guy who has posted on this board for 15 years of a massive anti flame point of view.

Afterall, a guy critical of an organization as successful as the flames must have a massive anti flames point of view. Those criticisms couldn't possibly have any merit to them.

United, could you detail for those of us with addled minds about the specifics of the Lindholm for Bennett swap you're talking about?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #49
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
If I had to choose Bennett or Jankowski right now......see ya MARK.
IMO both players aren't even in the same conversation. At 25 Jankowski is who he is, and that I am afraid ain't much.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #50
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Too bad the Flames and Ducks couldn’t get the pre-expansion trade that had Bennett and Lindholm as the main pieces over the finish line. Would have been a huge win for the Flames as tough as it would have been to see Bennett leave and join a division rival. The Flames didn’t want to lose the physicality and intangible aspect of Bennett’s positive impact in the dressing room, but overrated those impacts relative to what Lindholm was going to deliver.
Flames were going to get Hampus Lindholm for Bennett at one point? I did not hear about that? Any other details?
Old 12-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #51
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two firsts for Hall is too steep. He is too inconsistent and he's a winger.

Trade for Palmeiri who can slot into the top six at a fraction of the cost.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 03:09 PM   #52
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm going to need a definition of a drive by. The mod team won't supply one so I assume it's one of those things when you know it when you see it and want to punish it.

You never asked about my opinion on the leaks because you were already elbows deep on your computer accusing a guy who has posted on this board for 15 years of a massive anti flame point of view.

Afterall, a guy critical of an organization as successful as the flames must have a massive anti flames point of view. Those criticisms couldn't possibly have any merit to them.

United, could you detail for those of us with addled minds about the specifics of the Lindholm for Bennett swap you're talking about?
I note you did not address my query regarding your "good media relationships" comment.

A "drive-by" post is one which does not provide any benefit to the conversation itself, but is simply meant to inflame.

Criticisms are fine, and unfortunately warranted at times.

Posts like "I was told once the Flames didn't leak" are clearly drive-bys, meant to stir the pot (deliberately proliferate tension and drama), or come across as holier than thou (acting superior or condescending), but do not add anything to the conversation or discussion.

Having different views and engaging in discussion is welcome.

Hope that helps!
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

That asking price for Hall is over the top for a pending UFA. If you think you have a shot of signing him in the offseason why pay that price?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #54
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers can actually pull it off, if they offer the rights to Pulijarvi, Yamamoto and an unprotected first.

They would have to include Sam Gagner, and NJ would have to eat the difference in cap space, to make it fit. If I were New Jersey, I would consider it.

Edmonton would have to buy out Kris Russell in the offseason and run with a league minimum backup goalie and defensive replacements. That would get them into the 8M range to offer Hall on an extension.

Do it Edmonton. Do it.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #55
BrennyBaller
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Two firsts for Hall is too steep. He is too inconsistent and he's a winger.

Trade for Palmeiri who can slot into the top six at a fraction of the cost.
I'd love to get Palmieri, he's exactly the type of player we need. However, I doubt NJD is going to be doing a full tear down. Likely trade Hall for futures and near-future help, and build around Hughes, Hischier, Palmier etc.
BrennyBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #56
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't think Hall would be at all interested in signing with Edmonton again.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #57
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That asking price for Hall is over the top for a pending UFA. If you think you have a shot of signing him in the offseason why pay that price?
Get him for an extra playoff run I suppose?

An extended Duchene would have cost the Jackets 2 1st and 2 meh prospects (he didn’t sign so the rental price was a single 1st with the meh prospects)
An extended Stone cost a high end prospect, a warm body and a 2nd

Hall is going to fall somewhere in that mix and it sounds like the Devils preference is a young left shot D
Old 12-04-2019, 03:46 PM   #58
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Miles Wood is big and fast...
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #59
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Oilers can actually pull it off, if they offer the rights to Pulijarvi, Yamamoto and an unprotected first.

They would have to include Sam Gagner, and NJ would have to eat the difference in cap space, to make it fit. If I were New Jersey, I would consider it.

Edmonton would have to buy out Kris Russell in the offseason and run with a league minimum backup goalie and defensive replacements. That would get them into the 8M range to offer Hall on an extension.

Do it Edmonton. Do it.

I doubt that gets anything close to done. Pulijarvi isn't anything but a reclamation project, Yamamoto is starting to look like an undersized bust. The first doesn't have that much value while the Oilers are hot.

I would expect that the Devils starting point would be Bouchard and and the first.

As well 8 m on an extension, basically Hall is going to wait for free agency because his agent knows they'll be a huge bidding war for him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #60
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I'd be curious what constitutes a "lowball" offer from those teams?
Puljujarvi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: