Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Culture of hockey: Q&a with brock mcgillis, the first openly gay pro hockey player

https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...-hockey-player

This is a great read. I highly recommend.

Kudos to Brock
albertGQ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Really impressed with the kids who demanded 50 pushups for calling things gay.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #3
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Brendan [Burke] and I became friends, and it was such a relief, because I could finally tell somebody I was gay. I could also talk to somebody about hockey. I finally had somebody I could talk to about my breakup, you know? It was the first time I’d been truly in love, and I’m heartbroken, and I have nobody to talk to. I’m also depressed and dealing with a lot of stuff on top of that, and from the age of 17 or 18 until I was 23, I had suicide attempts, suicidal thoughts. I was drinking heavily. And now my only friend who knows everything, I had this one friend, and it was Brendan.

And then one day, Brendan sent me a text message. And it said, “I can’t wait for the day that you’re out to your family like I am to mine.” And I didn’t answer him. [...] I was afraid that, if they knew, they’d become more sensitive to the language used in locker rooms and around the game and stand up to it. And in the process, I would be outed, which would jeopardize any opportunity I had moving forward.

So when Brendan said that, I didn’t answer him. And two days later he passed away in a car accident. Those ended up being the last words he ever said to me. That’s why I speak.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The summer before I came out, a hockey mom called me. She said, “Brock, I want to set you up on a date.”

I was panicked because I was like, “I don’t want to tell her. I don’t want to out myself.” Because I was living in Sudbury, and I was working in hockey, and I feared that if people found out, especially up there, I would lose any opportunity I had, and people would not want to work with me.

So when I got that call I panicked, but then I was kind of curious what she thought my type might be. So I decided to ask her.

I said “What’s her name?”

And her response was: “Steve.”

I said, “What?”

She said, “Brock, you’re gay.”
Imagine living this kind of life, looking over your shoulder every day afraid someone might know who you really are...
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote