Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-03-2019, 01:29 PM   #41
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gaudreau hasn't been playing like a top 6 forward so it makes sense moving down to the 3rd line. Ryan and Lucic are playing well and are winning a lot of board battles, something Gaudreau doesn't do.

Monahan already plays like a winger, so may as well play him on the wing. It should take some pressure off of him allow him to focus more on offense.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #42
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah honestly I like the idea of Gaudreau and Lucic playing together. Doesn't hurt to play with a centre like Ryan, who regularly improves the play of his linemates.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #43
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Derek Wills
#Flames Interim Head Coach Geoff Ward just told his team “Let’s be a little more barn painter, a little less Picasso.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #44
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very interesting to see Monahan on the wing
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #45
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Flames major forward line shakeup:

I absolutely love the youngsters in the top 9 this year and it's nice to see both in the top 6 with this experiment.

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Monahan - Backlund - Dubé

Sure is scary not seeing Johnny there though.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #46
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I absolutely love the youngsters in the top 9 this year and it's nice to see both in the top 6 with this experiment.

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Monahan - Backlund - Dubé

Sure is scary not seeing Johnny there though.
Switch Johnny and Mony, then Mony and Backs and its fine.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #47
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
Gaudreau hasn't been playing like a top 6 forward so it makes sense moving down to the 3rd line. Ryan and Lucic are playing well and are winning a lot of board battles, something Gaudreau doesn't do.

Monahan already plays like a winger, so may as well play him on the wing. It should take some pressure off of him allow him to focus more on offense.

Hasn’t been playing like a top 6 forward?

Gaudreau has had a bad stretch of 20 games by his standards for sure but he still has 21 points in 29 games.

14 points in his last 20 games.

No those aren’t superstar numbers like we are used to seeing him put up, but very much respectable as a top 6 forward.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #48
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nice to see a shake up. Only thing I'd like to change is instead of putting a C on the wing, take out Janko for Czarnik.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #49
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Yeah honestly I like the idea of Gaudreau and Lucic playing together. Doesn't hurt to play with a centre like Ryan, who regularly improves the play of his linemates.
In terms of fancy stats, Kent Wilson did a piece prior to the start of the season on comparing the best teammates for each player, and Gaudreau and Ryan were a 'pairing', posting 61.9 CF% and 68.4 xGF% together.

Considering that Lucic seems to at least not drag his line down in possession like Neal did, it could add a boost to that group and give Johnny/Ryan the option to dump it into the corner on zone entries so Looch comes in with a full head of steam.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #50
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

I expect this was just having some fun. I doubt it's the lines on Thursday, but I'm certainly not betting on that.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #51
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post

Gaudreau has had a bad stretch of 20 games by his standards for sure but he still has 21 points in 29 games.

No those aren’t superstar numbers like we are used to seeing him put up, but very much respectable as a top 6 forward.
He's really not though. Especially when you consider how much ice time, and offensive opportunity he's been getting.

He has 8 points at 5v5 in 29 games - that not good production at all when you are getting first line minutes.

Only 99 forwards have played over 350 minutes at 5v5 (call it top line minutes), his 8 points leave him as a tie for 16th worst in that category.

However it's even worse when you consider that he's played a lot more than others in that range. His 1.11 points per 60 minutes at 5v5 are the 9th worst among forwards that have played 350 minutes or more at 5v5.

At 5v5 he's been one of the worst "top line" forwards in the league this year. And his production only looks respectable since he gets a lot of PP time and has been able to put up some points there.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #52
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post

When a player getting premium ice time and PP time is on pace for 59 points, that player is not playing well.

Those are Stajan's numbers when he played with Iggy.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #53
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
In terms of fancy stats, Kent Wilson did a piece prior to the start of the season on comparing the best teammates for each player, and Gaudreau and Ryan were a 'pairing', posting 61.9 CF% and 68.4 xGF% together.

Considering that Lucic seems to at least not drag his line down in possession like Neal did, it could add a boost to that group and give Johnny/Ryan the option to dump it into the corner on zone entries so Looch comes in with a full head of steam.
I think this is part of it.

Teams are really trying to pressure Gaudreau to force him to dump in the puck. But issue is this year either it's causing Gaudreau to turn it over due to the pressure, or send it into the corner where his linemates haven't been able to win the puck battle to get it back.

Ryan and Lucic has done okay in terms of winning those puck battles this year, and having somebody that is going to get in and win that battle might actually give Gaudreau a little more space when entering the zone since the defense will have to play it more honestly.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #54
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I prefer "on hand" for wingers. But putting Johnny on his off hand might force him to play more to the middle than the boards, where he's been winding up.

I think more than anything this is Ward just changing things up in practice to alter the mood.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #55
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I wouldn’t mind seeing
Lucic Monahan Dube
Tkachuk Ryan lindholm
Gaudreau Backlund Mangiapane
Rieder Jankowski Frolik
scobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #56
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Derek Wills
#Flames Interim Head Coach Geoff Ward just told his team “Let’s be a little more barn painter, a little less Picasso.”
Let's be real here. What Geoff was referring to, clearly, was thisThe quality is garbage, but the point gets across)

OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:22 PM   #57
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good, I like those lines.

No problem with dropping Gaudreau down to the third with Ryan until he gets over whatever it is he has going on.

Would have thought Monahan would be a RW but I guess its better for his shot.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #58
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That 4th line... I know Jankowski has had a brutal year, but playing with Frolik and Rieder won’t help him break out of any slumps.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #59
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
That 4th line... I know Jankowski has had a brutal year, but playing with Frolik and Rieder won’t help him break out of any slumps.
When healthy, the best linemates for Jankowski are Bennett & Czarnik and I'd be fine if that were our 4L moving forward
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #60
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Switch Johnny and Mony, then Mony and Backs and its fine.
Monahan and gaudreau for whatever reason arent working this year I'm all for switching them up and by gaudreaus play lately the 3rd line is where he belongs
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote