Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2019, 01:03 PM   #41
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like they may be going up and down the lineup with music choice if Andersson (4) was first?
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:04 PM   #42
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
It’d be nice but I’m not expecting this to happen. I don’t think there’s any evidence that Peters was doing anything negative to this group. There’s something else at play here. The key is Gaudreau, something isn’t right and until they figure him out, this team will continue to struggle.
Seems like a bizarre take after the news that broke this week (not the racist stuff but the abusive stuff) watching this team so far this season it seems like excitement is lost and they were not happy.

It wouldn’t be the least bit surprising if Peters had lost the room this year and that was impacting everyone. A fresh start for the team could be the boost Gaudreau and Monahan need to bust out of their slump.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #43
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Seems like a bizarre take after the news that broke this week (not the racist stuff but the abusive stuff) watching this team so far this season it seems like excitement is lost and they were not happy.

It wouldn’t be the least bit surprising if Peters had lost the room this year and that was impacting everyone. A fresh start for the team could be the boost Gaudreau and Monahan need to bust out of their slump.
Funny what a week does to a statement.

A week ago the "losing the room" comments made my eyes roll wondering how many coaches this group was going to tune out before they looked inward (mirror).

However, that was assuming a lack of out and out abuse.

If that was happening then yeah it's a different story.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 01:08 PM   #44
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There's really no more excuse for the group if Ward doesn't get them going. You've swung from hardass Hartley to softball Gulutzen back to hardass Peters, and now to Ward, who I'm hoping is somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. That's 4 coaches in what? 5 years? If the group still plays like they played so far, there's gotta be a serious look at if the roster needs a big name shake up.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 01:15 PM   #45
fire_starter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Looking forward to the Flames icing their best line-up and showcasing Frolík and Brodie before Bennett and Välimäki return.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolík
Mangiapane - Dubé - Czarnik
Lucic - Jankowski - Ryan

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kylington - Andersson

Rittich
Brodie isnt going anywhere.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #46
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_starter View Post
Brodie isnt going anywhere.
Nope, Brodie on a 4x4 contract would be fantastic.
DJones is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #47
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
I like it.

Things have been heavy around the team for a while now. And with the last week, even heavier.

You have to have fun at what you do, or else, why do it?

Seems to me as though a cloud is being lifted here.

I really feel bad for Ottawa tomorrow. Coming in off a back to back against a loose Flames team on a Saturday night.
Probably because they make a good amount of money doing it? I completely know what you are getting at and agree that they should be having fun and its important to win games... but I would say the majority of the population doesn't have fun at work. It probably helps being paid millions of dollars to do it..
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #48
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Probably because they make a good amount of money doing it? I completely know what you are getting at and agree that they should be having fun and its important to win games... but I would say the majority of the population doesn't have fun at work. It probably helps being paid millions of dollars to do it..
All the more reason why it's important for hockey players to be enjoying themselves at work, no? I mean, unlike the vast majority of the population who is most likely not working their dream jobs, NHL hockey players are.

So yeah, regardless of how much they are getting paid, if NHL players are miserable at work, this is absolutely going to affect their performance in a League in which the separation between success and failure is a matter of seconds and centimetres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 11-29-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 01:37 PM   #49
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Derek Wills
@Fan960Wills
Geoff Ward just told us Rasmus Andersson picked the songs played at #Flames practice. Very well done, @RAndersson19!

DJ Phat Ras
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #50
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
It’d be nice but I’m not expecting this to happen. I don’t think there’s any evidence that Peters was doing anything negative to this group. There’s something else at play here. The key is Gaudreau, something isn’t right and until they figure him out, this team will continue to struggle.

Unless of course Peters was playing mind games with Gaudreau and that’s what has caused his play to slip. I don’t think it’s this. I wonder about the curious signing of Matthew Gaudreau to an AHL deal in the Summer and if there are some concerns that Johnny wants out or be closer to home.
I don't think it is a bizarre take. It does feel like revisionist history to suggest that the room was lost because of the coach's rants or abuse or whatever. Prior to these allegations being raised, we had basically the same group of players and the same coaching staff go from a first place team, playing an exciting, high scoring game, to a team that soiled the sheets in the playoffs, to playing an uninspired and at times cringe-worthy game this year. It can certainly be pinned on the coach, but I don't think there were any accusations of abuse or anything out of the ordinary from Peters (which worked last year until the playoffs, now, not so much).

Either way, I do hope the team plays better. If Peters "resignation" provides the juice they need to get their heads out of their asses and play better, I am good with that.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #51
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Disappointed to see Reider still in now that Czar is back.
Who says he's back...it's his first practice nobody said ready for game action
Old 11-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #52
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Tiny Dancer is a solid tune. Good job Rasmus.
FWIW it's the song the band sings on the bus in Almost Famous after internal squabbles, and then they are OK again.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 01:51 PM   #53
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
FWIW it's the song the band sings on the bus in Almost Famous after internal squabbles, and then they are OK again.
Haha, I knew there had to be some kind of symbolism. That's amazing .
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:07 PM   #54
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I don't think it is a bizarre take. It does feel like revisionist history to suggest that the room was lost because of the coach's rants or abuse or whatever. Prior to these allegations being raised, we had basically the same group of players and the same coaching staff go from a first place team, playing an exciting, high scoring game, to a team that soiled the sheets in the playoffs, to playing an uninspired and at times cringe-worthy game this year. It can certainly be pinned on the coach, but I don't think there were any accusations of abuse or anything out of the ordinary from Peters (which worked last year until the playoffs, now, not so much).

Either way, I do hope the team plays better. If Peters "resignation" provides the juice they need to get their heads out of their asses and play better, I am good with that.

I am not sure if it is revisionist history or just a clearer view of the type of individual that was in charge of the team. It sure doesn’t sound like Peters was punching or kicking players but I assume there was a similar feeling in the Flames room as there was in the Leafs room.

It might not even be Peters being gone as the reason they play better but the fact there is change that gets them going. This is a fresh start for the group in desperate need of one.

I think if Gaudreau and Monahan start putting up ppg numbers this team is going to start winning a lot more than they are losing. Both players seem to be in a funk and a fresh voice and direction for the team could be what they need to get out of the funk?

I am an optimist though so until I am proven otherwise I am going to have a positive outlook on this coaching change and believe it will yield positive results.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #55
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That’s awesome lol.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #56
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 02:17 PM   #57
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seems like the flames are getting their silver lining in this strange season. Could be the perfect storm.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #58
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Bringing him back with that contract is a no brainer, but I don't Brodie accepts that deal. I suspect the Leafs will find the cap space to pay him $5+ next season.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #59
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Oddly enough, being a team Hamonic guy, I would be happy with retaining either one.

When Brodie isn't carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders he is very dynamic.

We need to keep one of them:

Gio-Brodie/Hamonic
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Stone
Kylington

As a sidenote I might be in the minority but I've liked Stone as a #6.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #60
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know the reason why it's a 5pm home game tomorrow night? Don't see many 5pm start times on a Saturday.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote