Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #1
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:
Default What to buy for Christmas

For the love of God, I've walked the mall 3 times and have zero inspiration.

My folks discovered Amazon Prime so now even the odd little things they'd never buy for themselves they order and are like "it was here in 2 days!"

I'm sure some of you are in your 60s or at the very least act like it.

Wow me with thoughtful gift ideas.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

buy this

https://www.amazon.ca/Foremost-60079...99928769&psc=1
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check out the Costco photo center. You can make calendars, metal prints canvas prints water bottles pillows blankets and all kinds of junk oldies love.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do they drink wine? Wine of the month club for a few months if they do.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #5
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you have kids (ie grand kids for your parents)? We've done family pictures made into a jigsaw puzzle in the past and I have seen places that take a collage of your pictures and turn them into a mosaic - that looked kind of cool.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

when my dad got sick one of the first things i did was go and buy a digital picture frame for him and load it up with a TON of pics of my kids. he loved it - it was always on.
my mom still loves it and uses it lots, but i reeeeally need to add a bunch of more current pics to the memory stick
Old 11-29-2019, 12:32 PM   #7
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anybody know where to find a girls pink large flames jersey? I have somebody who is looking for a kids large pink jersey. Anybody have any ideas where to find one?
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:32 PM   #8
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of those monthly (or semi monthly) gift box subscriptions would be cool, so many different things they could be interested in content wise.

One that I keep getting emails about is WeeBox, if you are a fan of Scottish things.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #9
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
One of those monthly (or semi monthly) gift box subscriptions would be cool, so many different things they could be interested in content wise.

One that I keep getting emails about is WeeBox, if you are a fan of Scottish things.
I bought the Sarah Baeumler one for my wife and it was one of the worst purchases I’ve ever made. All the items were cheap garbage and not practical

I am sure some of them are okay but that was my only experience with the subscription box

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:40 PM   #10
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

A pony every year.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:51 PM   #11
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

1) gift basket
2) family photos
3) gift cards
4) alcohol
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:41 PM   #12
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what I have done with my children for the last couple of years...no reason why you can't reverse it and do it as the child.

I have a son and a daughter. We each buy tickets to an event, whatever you like, could be theater, a movie, going to a restaurant, you decide.

And then we have a relaxing evening out where none of us has to cook dinner or anything else. We can just go out, catch up on our news, and enjoy our company. So for us, it is three evenings out and we each pay for one of the evenings.

Then we just get small stuff, it could be a bottle of wine, whatever, that much you can figure out on your own.

I do buy more for my grandson as he is not old enough to attend most of these function and would not be that interested either.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 02:08 AM   #13
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

The Clapper for the Christmas tree.

And a nice bottle of wine

You’re welcome
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #14
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
This is what I have done with my children for the last couple of years...no reason why you can't reverse it and do it as the child.

I have a son and a daughter. We each buy tickets to an event, whatever you like, could be theater, a movie, going to a restaurant, you decide.

And then we have a relaxing evening out where none of us has to cook dinner or anything else. We can just go out, catch up on our news, and enjoy our company. So for us, it is three evenings out and we each pay for one of the evenings.

Then we just get small stuff, it could be a bottle of wine, whatever, that much you can figure out on your own.

I do buy more for my grandson as he is not old enough to attend most of these function and would not be that interested either.

this is awesome!! very similar to what my dad did for us when i was a kid. he called it "a big day with dad". there would be a card in the christmas tree for each of us kids from my dad inviting us out for a 'big day'. each kid had dad for a day and got to pick what we wanted to do. i grew up in southern ontario, it was the late 70s/early 80s and my dad owned a business - due to the recession my dad worked a TON. we usually only saw him on sundays becuz during the week he was gone for work before we got up and home after we went to bed - so having dad all to yourself for a day was HUGE!!

i'd usually pic an afternoon blue jays game followed by dinner and maybe a movie. other times is would be a later jays game and in the morning we'd do stuff like the royal ontario museum, the science center or planetarium. i remember going to a leafs game one year... heh.. they lost! ha! the most amazing big day was after we moved to bc, and in 1989 he somehow got us tickets to game 2 of the cup final!

these memories (some from 40 years ago) are still so precious, especially now that he's no longer with us.

this christmas, i'll be starting the same tradition with my kids (they are 6 and 4) - it's gong to be awesome!
Old 12-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

World Soccer clubs have your back!

Spoiler!

And no....these are not a joke.

https://global.espn.com/football/blo...-curlersanyone

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote