Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2019, 08:05 AM   #141
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Definitely depends on the yeast strain for temps, it should say but most clean strains are 18-22 degrees. Also like was said above, get a hydrometer, there's many cases where people are tricked into thinking they didn't see any fermentation but the hydrometer doesn't lie. You won't see carbonation in an open container, you might not see much krausen either depending on lots of factors. Also, unless your container is sealed around all the edges, you may not see airlock activity either, the gas could just be escaping elsewhere. You should be able to distinctly tell a difference though between the before pitch taste and smell and the after....just be careful though, you can repitch, but the time that your juice is exposed also allows bad yeast to take hold so let your nose lead. Sometimes wild ferments come up with really neat things, sometimes they're poison haha

I would get a hydrometer and just check it anyhow, you may not pinpoint your ABV, but a cider with champagne yeast should dry out pretty good and if it's fermented out I'd anticipate it would be <1.005, some ciders will hit 0.98 but that usually takes sugar additions. You can't take the "sweetness" or lack of with crabapples as a lack of fermentables, I can't recall what my cider had for OG but it was likely around 1.05 before sugar
Old 11-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #142
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Probably to cold. Either get a heat belt, or move it somewhere warm. Depending on the yeast, you typically want it around 22-26°C. I like to pitch around 28 so it gets a good start......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Definitely depends on the yeast strain for temps, it should say but most clean strains are 18-22 degrees....
I agree with Aleks. I ferment at 18-20 degrees using Nottingham yeast, but it does depends on the yeast. 28 seems pretty high, unless you are using a kveik.

Also, get a hydrometer. They are cheap and an essential tool. I think I have 3 of them.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:55 AM   #143
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I guess my experience may not translate as well, as I do GF beer and it tends to need a kickstart. The yeast won't die until 35-40, so by starting somewhere below 30, within 24 hours it has dropped to around 24 which is when I turn the heat belt on, and that keeps it at 24. But I find the warm initial temp helps it get started. Otherwise it will be pretty piddly for the first week. If I don't use a heat belt, it will take a couple months to ferment properly. But out of habit I do the same when doing cider kits and have never had an issue.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #144
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

And ya, you want at least 2 hydrometers, becuase the little ####ers like to roll off your counter and shatter! I need to find a plastic one.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #145
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, I guess my experience may not translate as well, as I do GF beer and it tends to need a kickstart. The yeast won't die until 35-40, so by starting somewhere below 30, within 24 hours it has dropped to around 24 which is when I turn the heat belt on, and that keeps it at 24. But I find the warm initial temp helps it get started. Otherwise it will be pretty piddly for the first week. If I don't use a heat belt, it will take a couple months to ferment properly. But out of habit I do the same when doing cider kits and have never had an issue.
Yeah, this might work fine for ciders, I've never tried a warmer temp.

Brewing beer, I found that I ended up with off-flavours when I fermented too warm, so I always tended to ferment on the low side (unless I was actively seeking those flavours).

Unless you are in a rush, I'd take it nice and slow.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #146
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

GF beer already has an off taste!

Ugh. One day they'll make a vaccine for me, and I can have real beer again. One day.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:07 PM   #147
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Ugh. One day they'll make a vaccine for me, and I can have real beer again. One day.
You could always make carbonated session meads
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #148
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

But then I'd have to drink meads.

I'd rather have my GF beer. I've actually gotten really good at making it, way better than most of the store stuff.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #149
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
But then I'd have to drink meads.

I'd rather have my GF beer. I've actually gotten really good at making it, way better than most of the store stuff.
I've moved from making straight mead to making braggots. Half malt, half honey. Makes those huge 10.5% super hopped up IPAs really good.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #150
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I dunno, I've tried Meadjito and Hopped Mead from Fallen Timber, and they didn't really do it for me.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #151
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, I dunno, I've tried Meadjito and Hopped Mead from Fallen Timber, and they didn't really do it for me.
Yeah I'm not a big fan of either of those due to the sulphites. I find their hopped mead to be meh as it seems they only dry hopped and didn't boil the water with hops before adding honey once cooled.

I usually do a BIAB mash with grains and then add honey once the boil is done and the wort is cooled.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:31 PM   #152
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Do you like cider or ginger beer?

That's pretty much all I make nowadays. Low carb and gluten free.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #153
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I make both. But I also still like beer.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #154
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally had some time to check up on the cider again. The hydrometer reading, after the initial few weeks of dubious fermentation - the reading today was 1.018. It still looks clean and smells / tastes fine, but no noticeable alcohol taste. I have moved it a couple of cm over top a floor register this time and will see how things proceed this time
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:05 PM   #155
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Without knowing the initial gravity, I guess all you can do is wait and see if it drops. I'd keep an eye on the temps, too.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #156
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I finally had some time to check up on the cider again. The hydrometer reading, after the initial few weeks of dubious fermentation - the reading today was 1.018. It still looks clean and smells / tastes fine, but no noticeable alcohol taste. I have moved it a couple of cm over top a floor register this time and will see how things proceed this time

Its highly doubtful you'd have an OG of 1.018 so some fermentation has happened. That said 1.018 is really still quite sweet. You can always just get another package of yeast and repitch, no harm in that. Don't make it too warm though, you get off flavors doing that.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #157
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Its highly doubtful you'd have an OG of 1.018 so some fermentation has happened. That said 1.018 is really still quite sweet. You can always just get another package of yeast and repitch, no harm in that. Don't make it too warm though, you get off flavors doing that.

I was kind of thinking that some fermentation must have happened, otherwise the whole batch would have spoiled, right?
Old 09-05-2020, 07:16 PM   #158
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright. Attempting cider #2. Got about two Superstore baskets of crab apples from a couple of trees in my front yard. Ran them all through the grater on my food processor and then made another dinky cider press and ended up with 8L of juice. Checked the hydrometer, sitting at 1.052. Tastes pretty good. Will let the campden tablet do its thing tonight and pitch the year tomorrow. Hopefully this year I will get something a bit more fizzy.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:20 PM   #159
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Alright. Attempting cider #2. Got about two Superstore baskets of crab apples from a couple of trees in my front yard. Ran them all through the grater on my food processor and then made another dinky cider press and ended up with 8L of juice. Checked the hydrometer, sitting at 1.052. Tastes pretty good. Will let the campden tablet do its thing tonight and pitch the year tomorrow. Hopefully this year I will get something a bit more fizzy.
If it isn’t drinkable you can always distill it a few times and attempt to make rum.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #160
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If it isn’t drinkable you can always distill it a few times and attempt to make rum.

Phase 2 will be a micro-distillery in the furnace room.