Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 10:35 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Flames I like Lucic and Rieder! And Rinaldo too!

Both these guys took a little bit of time to adjust to the Flames, but I've been incredibly impressed with their play over the last month and change.

Lucic is surprisingly good with the puck. He's a smart player who, despite losing some of his agility, can still keep up with the play, make good passes, and find open ice. Where Neal often stood out through his puzzling positioning and inability to carry the puck, Lucic is strong on the puck and has proven to be adept at creating chances, especially recently. I predict that tonight's goal will the best first of plenty more.

It's also nice to have a player who has become so universally liked by the fanbase. The cheers of "Looch" from the fans at the Dome have only grown louder as the season has progressed. Lucic has stood up for his teammates, he's driven possession very much in the right direction, and he's now starting to contribute on the scoresheet. It's awesome to see.

As for Rieder, it's only become more and more obvious in recent weeks just how much speed he has. He's tenacious on the penalty kill and is clearly getting the green light to take off when he sees opportunities. Playing with Derek Ryan on the PK has clearly helped (interesting that Ryan is the common denominator with both Rieder and Lucic), but Rieder clearly has plenty of skill, to his credit. He reminds me of how Frolik used to play in his first few seasons here, but with more speed. I'm quickly becoming a fan.

These two ex-Oilers are quickly becoming some of my favourites to watch. Hoping for continued success for them and this team. (Cam, you're next).

Last edited by TheScorpion; 12-10-2019 at 08:45 PM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looch is awesome and still has something to give to an NHL team. His contract sucks but there’s no point in dwelling on that.

I haven’t been that excited for a Flames goal in a long time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 12:13 AM   #3
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

good god
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 12:34 AM   #4
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like these guys because they are Flames...but they have a combined 3 goals and 4 assists, not sure that's worth a whole like thread LOL
Old 12-06-2019, 07:20 AM   #5
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Given his love affair with him the past 24 hours I'd suggest this thread was created as a stealth Derek Ryan appreciation thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
hjerk
Draft Pick

TOE-BEE
REIDER!
*CLAP* *CLAP*
*clap*clap*clap*

I like what this guy brings to the table and yeah, Looch has strong hockey IQ.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:31 AM   #7
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I actually like what Looch is bringing too. He's clearly lost a step from his prime, but his hits are still bone crushing. This was something the Flames missed horribly. It seems as though every time Looch hits another player they just collapse against the boards.

If Looch can find a way to put up 25 points this year, from the bottom 6, and continue to lead our team in hits, I'll be very happy with the trade overall.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #9
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
good god
Hey, hey, hey.

See my signature. It still holds true.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 09:08 AM   #10
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like both players, and they both bring useful elements to the roster in depth roles.

That's just fine for Rieder as he's carrying a $700k cap hit for one season.

Lucic and his buy out proof $5.25 million cap hit/contract however, are a massive drag on the rosters overall cap for another 3.5 seasons.

Hard to believe his points per game and goals per game could get any worse than what they were last year in Edmonton, but here we are....

Would be nice if he could even get back to being a 10+ goal, 30+ point forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #11
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Looch is definitely massively underrated by some on here. Their previous stance on him (that he’s one of the worst in the league, which he isn’t) doesn’t allow them to revise their opinion of him even though if you watch him he’s clearly a solid player for us that brings a lot of elements this team was lacking (puck protection, board work, net front presence, physicality.

I really like the addition of Lucic. I really like the elements he’s added. Obviously if we could turn back time it’d be great if we could never have signed Neal but Lucic has been about 10x better than Neal was for us.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #12
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Looch is definitely massively underrated by some on here. Their previous stance on him (that he’s one of the worst in the league, which he isn’t) doesn’t allow them to revise their opinion of him even though if you watch him he’s clearly a solid player for us that brings a lot of elements this team was lacking (puck protection, board work, net front presence, physicality.

I really like the addition of Lucic. I really like the elements he’s added. Obviously if we could turn back time it’d be great if we could never have signed Neal but Lucic has been about 10x better than Neal was for us.
I watched him enough in Edmonton games to say he's better this year IMO. More involved and energetic.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #13
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a shocker this thread came after Reider & Lucic scored in the same game.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vilzeh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #14
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I understood the rationale of the trade when it happened (lower cap hit and better fit in the bottom 6), but was not a fan based on the potential bounce back of Neal compared to Lucic.

Having watched him, he does bring something to the table that the Flames lacked and it is fun to cheer for him. I think what stands out to me, is how his teammates react to him. Dube jumped into his arms like they just won the cup. Rittich, Johnny, Ward all fist pumped/patted him on the back. They love that guy. That was not the case with Neal.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #15
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like people who score goals
Old 12-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #16
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one can question that Lucic is over paid, and has a contract that is too long. Just the same, no can question Lucic's give a #### levels.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #17
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I like these guys because they are Flames...but they have a combined 3 goals and 4 assists, not sure that's worth a whole like thread LOL
They deserve a thread because both of them probably hate the Oilers more than us.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #18
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilzeh View Post
What a shocker this thread came after Reider & Lucic scored in the same game.
Is there a sub forum of topics from the future?
Old 12-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #19
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
good god
I think you're onto something here

Let's all go back to arguing, dwell on poor performances, chat about racism, measure levels of abuse, and bemoan the trade some more.

That's definitely been a lot more fun than celebrating some contributions from the bottom 6 that led to a win the day after their old stinkhole got worked by the Senators.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #20
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
good god