Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 12-05-2019, 03:31 PM   #61
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I'm not going to hold my breath, but I'd love to see some real citizen inclusive vision on this center, with restaurants, gathering spaces, etc built into the center itself with access into the "ticketed area" possible via these spaces. It'd be nice to have a facility that can not only be an arena but also an every day venue.
Given that it is set up to be part of an 'entertainment district', it would be surprising if the new building didn't have some outward facing establishments, if only a food establishment or two and a team store.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #62
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I'm not going to hold my breath, but I'd love to see some real citizen inclusive vision on this center, with restaurants, gathering spaces, etc built into the center itself with access into the "ticketed area" possible via these spaces. It'd be nice to have a facility that can not only be an arena but also an every day venue.
Some public outdoor hockey rinks that could be used as basketball courts in the summer would be cool. Plus the rinks could be used from time to time for Flames practices/Flames community outreach events. Or something else in the vein of public space that promotes physical activity.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 04:27 PM   #63
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The areana should have a restaurant that combines wild rose beer and bon tons meat and sides.

Talk about feeding the out of town guests a good taste of Calgary.

Im stoned and now want to go out and eat...dammit!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:05 PM   #64
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s finally Monday.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:57 PM   #65
Jojado
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
You mean the homeless / junkie daytime drop-in centre?
Don't forget people who would like to study or work at home but - for whatever reason beyond their control - can't: like loud, alcoholic or drug-addicted roommates or family members or substandard living conditions. The library is also accessible to nearly everyone given that it's on two C-train lines.

I hope the outer appearance of the new arena is as iconic in the skyline as the Saddledome.
Jojado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:26 AM   #66
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Public engagement"

Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #67
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
"Public engagement"

As someone who works in a related industry and sits on some design committees, this is scarily accurate, haha.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #68
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
"Public engagement"

So when does Elon Musk make this under the Tesla umbrella????
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #69
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
"Public engagement"

La cucaracha!

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #70
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
That's a good view.

I think the only disclaimer should be that the study listed is looking at a library system that was more widespread and broader reaching.

In comparison to the Calgary investing the money in revamping a single central library.

Not 100% clear if you get the same return on a single library vs having a more broad and accessible network of libraries across multiple locations.
This is certainly true, but I just wanted to use real studies and statistics to disprove a common criticism I hear about public library expenditure. I would imagine that the real impact from this library is less, but economic return on proper public amenities is real- and as Makarov pointed out, that is not even accounting for the myriad of public benefits that can't be quantified economically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
If you are going to include direct/indirect impact on wages etc., you have to do that with the arena project also. How much do the teams/events spend on employee wages and costs for food/goods used. Then when you expand the wages and goods to outside facilities such as restaurants, bars, cabs etc., (which this report does to show impact on outside groups) the number would have to be in the billions. I am sure the report does not show what you thought it was going to show. So if we use your number of $2.38/1$ then the arena will provide $645.5 M on the city contribution only. You can not use the report/calculation on only projects that you choose to champion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Excellent comment and thanks for making it.

I agree that both buildings are great and needed by different groups of people. We need all types of new facilities and everyone arguing for what they think is important just drives everyone apart.
I wasn't going to belabor my point, but your initial comment was clearly created to compare economic impact from a library vs an arena in a negative light, and I hear this all too often. I really feel like you didn't read what I wrote, because you came to some ridiculous conclusions. Both are worthwhile projects for our city, but only one shows real economic impact (the library.) The arena is more of a city pride/ vanity type of deal.

1. You have engendered a real problem with public amenity spending by saying that both amenities are needed for different groups of people. That doesn't apply to these two projects. The 'need' for a new NHL arena only extends to the business trying to profit off of it. The 'need' for a new public library extends from the entire population (yourself included- or have you really never used a library before? If that is the case I pity you as you are missing out!)
Are interest groups behind the drive for these amenities? Yes absolutely. But to qualify the civic need as equal is wrong. Just because you want a comfier seat at flames games does not put the priority on equal footing with ensuring public access to knowledge and education. The fact that you able to afford said comfier seat is likely exactly why you see them as equal- privilege.

2. the $2.38/$1 ratio cannot be applied to publicly financing an arena, because that is a statistic specifically applied to public library funding in Indiana. arena =/ library, inspite of the general noise volume at the dome.
https://postmediacalgaryherald2.file...y=55&strip=all
That is a link to the city's economic impact estimate for the arena. You will note that their estimate already includes indirect impacts like wages and community impact, while the library figure does not.

So- the balance

Arena= $275 million investment by city ---> $400 million over 35 years (including indirect estimates)
Library= $245 million investment by the city ---> ~$500 million in direct economic impact with additional indirect impact unaccounted for

Even if you don't believe the library here will generate the same amount of economic impact as a library in Indiana, the gap is still pretty substantial.

Anyways, I am also happy that an arena deal was reached with the city and we can put this behind us. Calgarians do deserve a world class entertainment venue. I am of the opinion that private industry should be footing more of the bill, but in the end just glad it is coming. I will not stand for more people belittling public investment in worthwhile projects, like the library, and waving their hands about economic impact when it is clearly false.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 09:08 AM   #71
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
So when does Elon Musk make this under the Tesla umbrella????
You joke but I bet Elon would be able to sell this. The separate compartment for children passengers seems more appealing all the time.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:11 AM   #72
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
You joke but I bet Elon would be able to sell this. The separate compartment for children passengers seems more appealing all the time.
It is called a limousine.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #73
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojado View Post
Don't forget people who would like to study or work at home but - for whatever reason beyond their control - can't: like loud, alcoholic or drug-addicted roommates or family members or substandard living conditions. The library is also accessible to nearly everyone given that it's on two C-train lines.

I hope the outer appearance of the new arena is as iconic in the skyline as the Saddledome.
I think that will be hard. Will definitely miss that part of the Saddledome.

But there is also an argument for an arena that blends into the surrounding area - the trick is to have a surrounding area worth blending into.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #74
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I think that will be hard. Will definitely miss that part of the Saddledome.

But there is also an argument for an arena that blends into the surrounding area - the trick is to have a surrounding area worth blending into.
Yes. There is a reason why some municipalities choose to construct garish eyesores like this...

... and this ...

...and this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #75
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Canadian Flags? #wexit
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #76
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just came back from Vegas, and that area that is around the T Mobile Center is amazing. I didn't get to catch a game or be there during, but that was everything I imagined an arena and surrounding area should be. Beautiful, vibrant, full of establishments in and out, and a massive area to watch just outside.
manwiches is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #77
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
I just came back from Vegas, and that area that is around the T Mobile Center is amazing. I didn't get to catch a game or be there during, but that was everything I imagined an arena and surrounding area should be. Beautiful, vibrant, full of establishments in and out, and a massive area to watch just outside.
Inside is great. I really like the ease of access in and out, the food facilities, seating options, etc.

Naturally Vegas has a lot of entertainment and food but they've really worked on that particular area. Lots of good food options - the kind you want. Pubs, Shake Shack, Sushi, etc. Huge outodoor area for bands, rallies, etc.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #78
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Part of the challenge with the outdoor space is to have something that isn't just empty barren space 300 days a year. Jurassic Park/Maple Leaf Square in Toronto is very well done. A lot of folks don't know that it is a one block dead end road most of the time.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #79
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I will be interested in the outdoor plan for the venue. Vegas is probably a little easier since they aren't dealing with -30 weather, but having said that, if they can make it a gathering place in the summer, it would go a long ways in avoiding the area becoming a ghost town for non game days/seasons.

Edit: Does anyone know how much space they have allocated for this thing? Will there be room for parks/ponds/rinks, or will it be surrounded by parking lots and BPs?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.

Last edited by Fighting Banana Slug; 12-06-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #80
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I will be interested in the outdoor plan for the venue. Vegas is probably a little easier since they aren't dealing with -30 weather, but having said that, if they can make it a gathering place in the summer, it would go a long ways in avoiding the area becoming a ghost town for non game days/seasons.

Edit: Does anyone know how much space they have allocated for this thing? Will there be room for parks/ponds/rinks, or will it be surrounded by parking lots and BPs?
This rendering posted on the city's webpage certainly seems to indicate that the vision is to integrate with public outdoor spaces for a year-round gathering place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: