Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #1801
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
His D is only above average now and he doesn’t walk .
I legitimately believe that if Kevin Pillar could walk he would have been a multi-time MVP candidate (not winner because Mike Trout). The guy had insane defense, decent power, excellent baserunning with almost no ability to draw a walk... imagine what he could have been if he got on base more to use that baserunning and if pitchers knew they couldn't throw junk at him (more strike-zone = harder contact = more xtra base hits).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #1802
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Reports are the Jays are interested in Wheeler. We've all heard this song and dance before.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #1803
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Reports are the Jays are interested in Wheeler. We've all heard this song and dance before.
Yeah... that's not gonna happen. Apparently he already has a 9 figure offer on the table. Be awesome if it did Wheeler is very good and has the stuff to be great.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #1804
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wheeler is intriguing. But If the reports are correct about how much money may be involved, it kinda turns me off him. He gives up a lot of contact which is never a good thing in the AL east ballparks. And he’s already had Tommy John surgery so durability will always be in question. 3 years 50-60 million, sure. But not 5+ at 20 per.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #1805
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they do swing a deal for wheeler like that, hopefully they front load it so they keep some payroll flexibility in a few years when the position players are starting to pull down big salaries.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #1806
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Jays aren't getting him IMO. Shapiro and crew using the Rogers media to give hope to fans. Higher risk at moderate potential return doesn't look like a thing from this management team. No way that pricetag fits with what they're trying to do.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #1807
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wheeler to the Phillies. 5 years $118 million

Yeah, the Jays will be "bridesmaids" on all the big UFA pitcher signings for sure lol
Old 12-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #1808
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Shocking news. I wonder who the next pitcher the Jays will be "in on".
Old 12-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #1809
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s a crazy big number for wheeler. Wow.

Edit.

One has to wonder what Cole will earn? 8 years ~240?

Last edited by flamingred89; 12-04-2019 at 04:32 PM.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:40 PM   #1810
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
That’s a crazy big number for wheeler. Wow.

Edit.

One has to wonder what Cole will earn? 8 years ~240?
That is about right on Cole. Jays are already not going to even make the attempt, and there is a good chance that he ends up with the Angels.

The interesting high end pitcher is Strasberg. He is said to be in the 180 for 6 range, and with the Jays window starting in 2021, I'd almost be willing to throw that amount at him and see if it sticks.

The problem with Strasberg is his injury history, but as long as he is insured I don't know if that should be a deterrent for the Blue Jays.

Considering there arn't any pitchers of his calibre hitting free agency next year, and I like him substantially more than Wheeler, the Jays should actually act like the team in baseball with the deepest pockets.

Monitor his innings for this year, and have him prepped for next year as the ace, when you are in contention.

I predict that the Jays will go with Shoemaker as their ace, instead.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #1811
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would Stras want to Come to the Jays though !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 08:20 PM   #1812
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Why would Stras want to Come to the Jays though !
This is just it.

None of these big name pitchers are going to sign in TO.

In the end everyone is going to say the Jays are too cheap and never tried, but I don't think it matters if they try or not at this point.

They are a 90+ loss team playing in a division against the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays.

The Jays need to build it up first, then they might get some love from high end free agents.

Make a couple savvy trades, develop homegrown talent and sprinkle in some shrewd FA signings of guys looking to bounce back or for an opportunity to pop in a bigger role.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 08:46 PM   #1813
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its all part of the 'process'
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:46 PM   #1814
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally wonder if the Jays will try and swing a deal for Greinke? I wonder how that loss hurt him and the Jays for years seemed to want him. This isn't based on anything substantial - just my own thought.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #1815
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard today on Sportsnet Morosi say he's hearing the Jays are the most serious team pursuing staring pitching.

He acknowledged that because they're still rebuilding they wont be attractive to someone who wants to win now but they might be able to attract someone who is looking for a longer deal but isn't getting it from other teams.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:46 PM   #1816
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I heard today on Sportsnet Morosi say he's hearing the Jays are the most serious team pursuing staring pitching.

He acknowledged that because they're still rebuilding they wont be attractive to someone who wants to win now but they might be able to attract someone who is looking for a longer deal but isn't getting it from other teams.
So a guy that’s got a let’s say 3 good years of his prime to when the Jays MAY have a sniff, but that same player that no one else wants to sign for 4 years? A unicorn indeed, especially if he’s supposed to be an impact player.

Only guys looking for long term deals on teams that are nowhere near a bubble playoff team for at least two seasons, are guys with injury issues.

Sounds like Aitkins and Shapiro using the media arm of the company to blow the hot air to try and stop the season ticket holder exodus in this brief baseball talk window they have for the winter meetings. Can’t blame them for trying.

They need to catch fire with some vet free agents and journeyman, and hope that it gets them close enough to get the fans talking about then Jays past the all star break in order to get some fan and player interest for 2021.

Last edited by browna; 12-04-2019 at 10:48 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 09:18 AM   #1817
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
So a guy that’s got a let’s say 3 good years of his prime to when the Jays MAY have a sniff, but that same player that no one else wants to sign for 4 years? A unicorn indeed, especially if he’s supposed to be an impact player.

Only guys looking for long term deals on teams that are nowhere near a bubble playoff team for at least two seasons, are guys with injury issues.

Sounds like Aitkins and Shapiro using the media arm of the company to blow the hot air to try and stop the season ticket holder exodus in this brief baseball talk window they have for the winter meetings. Can’t blame them for trying.

They need to catch fire with some vet free agents and journeyman, and hope that it gets them close enough to get the fans talking about then Jays past the all star break in order to get some fan and player interest for 2021.
This is how I feel as well. The Jays PR department is desperately trying to motivate a demoralized fanbase by spinning some sort of fantastical stories about the Jays pursuing all these high end pitchers but we all know how it will end.

Now the Jays are "interested in" Hyun-Jin Ryu!
Old 12-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #1818
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matt Moore, Martin Perez, Taijuan Walker.

Moore with velocity, Perez ground ball pitcher, walker with the best overall stuff, one year off of Tomy John.

Would be very happy with walker 3 year, Perez 2 year at reasonable hits. Better than what the Jays have now.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #1819
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Matt Moore, Martin Perez, Taijuan Walker.

Moore with velocity, Perez ground ball pitcher, walker with the best overall stuff, one year off of Tomy John.

Would be very happy with walker 3 year, Perez 2 year at reasonable hits. Better than what the Jays have now.
These are the guys that the Jays will have to eventually go after IMO, because the bigger name guys without as many question marks will look to sign in other locations.

It's either that or trade for pitching. But then you are giving up assets for pitchers that likely won't come with much team control left. Guys like Jon Gray, Corey Kluber or Chris Archer for example.

It's going to frustrate a large portion of the fan base, and they will claim that Rogers/Atkins aren't even trying to sign anyone big, but in the end the Jays will have to develop most of their (eventual) contending rotation on their own.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #1820
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reports out there that the Jays are front runners to sign 27 year old 1B Yo####omo Tsutsugo out of Japan.

EDIT: lol @ the censor
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post: