Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #921
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, we disagree. Lindholm has scored less in every season and plays a lesser position. he's arguably better defensively, but we don't even know that, in the context of the different roles. Defence as a centre is way harder.

Even if Lindholom scores more this year, with a crystal ball the GMs would take the guy who's been a scoring machine every year for 6 years versus the guy who only blossomed after being traded, and who cracked the 16 goal hurdle only last year.

Is he having a better year than Monahan this year? In goals, yes. But GMs aren't so shortsighted as to think this year is representative of either player.
I mean their job is to project and evaluate players. Monahan developing faster is neither here nor there and doesn’t change the equation for me. Anybody scouting Lindholm vs Monahan over the past 1.5 years would likely notice that Lindholm is faster, grittier, better defensively while being as skilled. In short he’s the better all around player while not sacrificing skill or offense.

Frankly I’m surprised more people wouldn’t take Lindholm over Monahan. Lindholm and Tkachuk have surpassed Gaudreau/Monahan over the past 1.5 years. It’s strange to me that some Flames fans can’t see it.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #922
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lindholm and Tkachuk have surpassed Gaudreau/Monahan over the past 1.5 years. It’s strange to me that some Flames fans can’t see it.

This year, maybe (and Tkachuk is irrelevant). Last year Lindholm was great and you could argue he was a key missing ingredient on the line. But Monahan was still 7 goals and 4 points better in 3 less games, playing centre versus wing.

ETA: In a redraft from before last season, Lindholm was 14th and Monahan was 4th. https://www.nhl.com/news/mackinnon-r...ft/c-299071996 A great year isn't going to vault Lindholm 10 spots.

And in this one from last spring, Monahan is 3rd (it only goes to 4th so no Lindholm): https://thecomeback.com/nhl/redrafti...hl-drafts.html

Last edited by GioforPM; 11-28-2019 at 12:34 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #923
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Lindholm and Tkachuk have surpassed Gaudreau/Monahan over the past 1.5 years. It’s strange to me that some Flames fans can’t see it.

This year, maybe (and Tkachuk is irrelevant). Last year Lindholm was great and you could argue he was a key missing ingredient on the line. But Monahan was still 7 goals and 4 points better in 3 less games, playing centre versus wing.
I understand that. But for me and many people in hockey, points do not simply tell you who is the better player. I’m arguing Lindholm is a better all around player. They can both play centre so the argument that Monahan plays a more important position falls flat for me. If anything Lindholm should be getting bonus points for being more versatile.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #924
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I understand that. But for me and many people in hockey, points do not simply tell you who is the better player. I’m arguing Lindholm is a better all around player. They can both play centre so you the argument that Monahan plays a more important position falls flat for me. If anything Lindholm should be getting bonus points for being more versatile.
Lindholm was drafted as a C but he's never spent any significant NHL time there.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #925
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Lindholm was drafted as a C but he's never spent any significant NHL time there.
He played some time at centre in Carolina. And he’s looked capable here as well.

He may be one of our top two line centres within the next year, guess we’ll see.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:40 PM   #926
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He played some time at centre in Carolina. And he’s looked capable here as well.
He played a very small amount of time at centre in Carolina. That was a comment when he was traded here. Spot duty at C here and Carolina tells us nothing about his ability to do it full time. I don't even know who he was matched against.

I'd love to see him tried as C. I just think you are assuming a lot about NHL GMs if you think they will take this season or even the last two (when Monahan was just as good or better than Lindholm) to put Lindholm over Monahan. Last year didn't do it in the example I gave.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #927
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think I would take Lindholm at 4.9 over Monahan at 6.3
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #928
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I think I would take Lindholm at 4.9 over Monahan at 6.3
Irrelevant. On draft day they are getting rookie max.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:14 PM   #929
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The problem is the Monahan > Lindholm argument pretty much begins and ends at "points". And total points falls short at describing a player's overall quality. The difference in their scoring comes down to essentially one factor: when Monahan was on the ice, he picked up a point on 75% of goals scored, while Lindholm picked up a point on 61%. Flip those around, and Lindholm finishes with 87 points while Monahan ends up with 72.

There are a lot of good plays a player can make that don't result in points:
  • Driving the net on a 3 on 2 to create a passing lane
  • Screening the goalie on a point shot
  • Forechecking aggressively to force a bad pass
  • Tracking down low in your zone to turn the puck over
Lindholm makes a lot of these types of plays that Monahan either can't or won't make. Without Lindholm making these plays, Monahan doesn't get the chance to score a good chunk of his points. Watch how many Monahan highlights have Lindholm causing havoc in the crease, either dragging a defender with him, screening the goalie, forcing a rebound, etc.

If we could replace Lindholm with a right-handed clone of Monahan at the same salary, IMO that makes us noticeably worse. If we replaced Monahan with a left-handed clone of Lindholm, IMO we're either about the same or slightly better.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #930
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
The problem is the Monahan > Lindholm argument pretty much begins and ends at "points". And total points falls short at describing a player's overall quality. The difference in their scoring comes down to essentially one factor: when Monahan was on the ice, he picked up a point on 75% of goals scored, while Lindholm picked up a point on 61%. Flip those around, and Lindholm finishes with 87 points while Monahan ends up with 72.

There are a lot of good plays a player can make that don't result in points:
  • Driving the net on a 3 on 2 to create a passing lane
  • Screening the goalie on a point shot
  • Forechecking aggressively to force a bad pass
  • Tracking down low in your zone to turn the puck over
Lindholm makes a lot of these types of plays that Monahan either can't or won't make. Without Lindholm making these plays, Monahan doesn't get the chance to score a good chunk of his points. Watch how many Monahan highlights have Lindholm causing havoc in the crease, either dragging a defender with him, screening the goalie, forcing a rebound, etc.

If we could replace Lindholm with a right-handed clone of Monahan at the same salary, IMO that makes us noticeably worse. If we replaced Monahan with a left-handed clone of Lindholm, IMO we're either about the same or slightly better.
I don't disagree that, right now, Lindholm is playing better. I don't diagree he is more well rounded (though as a full time centre who knows).

The only thing I disagree with is that GMs would now draft him ahead on the basis of 1.25 years of play that's at this level, versus Monahan's track record.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:33 PM   #931
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I don't disagree that, right now, Lindholm is playing better. I don't diagree he is more well rounded (though as a full time centre who knows).

The only thing I disagree with is that GMs would now draft him ahead on the basis of 1.25 years of play that's at this level, versus Monahan's track record.
The issue is the past 1.25 years of play is by far the most relevant. GM's will prioritize more relevant play.

Do we not see players continually leaving the NHL after a bad season despite a long history of success? This suggest to me that GM's are very much focusing on recent history.

I mean on this board we see fans argue all the time that we shouldn't trade a player while their value is low. If GM's prioritize 6 years of production over recent history then this concept wouldn't exist. But recent history is the most relevant. To some extent I think the fans exaggerate. For example I think Gaudreau still has fantastic trade value despite looking like garbage this year.

It's not that I'm discounting what Monahan has done. It's that Lindholm has shown he's as good. He's developed into as good or better of a player. How they looked 3 years ago has very little to do with how good they are right now.

Over a season is not a small sample size. Players get signed to multi-year million dollar contracts based on their results from one season.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:36 PM   #932
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The issue is the past 1.25 years of play is by far the most relevant. GM's will prioritize more relevant play.

Do we not see players continually leaving the NHL after a bad season despite a long history of success? This suggest to me that GM's are very much focusing on recent history.

I mean on this board we see fans argue all the time that we shouldn't trade a player while their value is low. If GM's prioritize 6 years of production over recent history then this concept wouldn't exist. But recent history is the most relevant. To some extent I think the fans exaggerate. For example I think Gaudreau still has fantastic trade value despite looking like garbage this year.

It's not that I'm discounting what Monahan has done. It's that Lindholm has shown he's as good. He's developed into as good or better of a player. How they looked 3 years ago has very little to do with how good they are right now.

Over a season is not a small sample size. Players get signed to multi-year million dollar contracts based on their results from one season.
I see as many players having good years after a bad one.

Anyway, I would place good money that a poll of GMs on a redraft would see Monahan ahead of Lindholm. It's moot anyway, there won't be one.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #933
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unpopular opinion, now is the time to blow it up.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:10 PM   #934
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

He may be one of our top two line centres within the next year, guess we’ll see.
Some, but barely. Peters was his coach in Carolina and he used him in the middle there about as much as he has here. Rarely if ever.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #935
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Some, but barely. Peters was his coach in Carolina and he used him in the middle there about as much as he has here. Rarely if ever.
"Hey Coach, can I play some centre?"

"Burn in Hades, M*****F*****!!!!!"
Old 11-28-2019, 07:19 PM   #936
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Some people always think it's a good time to blow it up...the Blues are probably glad they didn't take that advice. Same with the Caps who "couldn't win in the playoffs"

Always look to improve...team is too young to blow up
Old 11-28-2019, 08:53 PM   #937
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was talking to a buddy who is a Canucks fan today for the first time since the scandal broke. His opinion was this was only going to further bury the team and this only adds to the terrible slump they have been in.

I think at the end of the day this could be the time the team is able to shake their roughy start and come together as a group. I can only assume Ward was the good cop coach and the players are going to want to play for him. Peters has been exposed and no doubt he seemed to be losing the room as our star players struggle mightily.

If our top line starts producing the wins will start to pile up and this team will be back in the mix

Last edited by Vinny01; 11-28-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:04 PM   #938
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It might not be time to blow it up, but this coming off season it may be time for a major retool.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:56 PM   #939
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I was talking to a buddy who is a Canucks fan today for the first time since the scandal broke. His opinion was this was only going to further bury the team and this only adds to the terrible slump they have been in.

I think at the end of the day this could be the time the team is able to shake their roughy start and come together as a group. I can only assume Ward was the good cop coach and the players are going to want to play for him. Peters has been exposed and no doubt he seemed to be losing the room as our star players struggle mightily.

If our top line starts producing the wins will start to pile up and this team will be back in the mix
There is your problem

I'm sure Oiler fans think this will bury the Flames too
Old 11-29-2019, 12:23 AM   #940
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
It should be unpopular, its non-sensical.

Retool? Maybe.
Blow it up? That's literally crazy talk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post: