Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #201
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube Inmate View Post
If anyone subjects me to 9:50 am sunrises in December, or takes away my 9:50 pm sunsets in late June, I'm going to be pissed off.
I was beginning to worry I was all alone. I had no idea changing the clock bothered so many people. We have this perfect system with long summer nights and a reasonable wake up time in the winter - why do we need to change it? As a bonus, once a year I get an extra hour to sleep in (or when I was younger - an extra hour at the bar). "Springing forward" once a year is a small price to pay for an otherwise perfect clock.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #202
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would it be that difficult to try out the change for a year or two? If it turns out to be an untenanble situation, we just go back to normal.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #203
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Would it be that difficult to try out the change for a year or two? If it turns out to be an untenanble situation, we just go back to normal.
It will be ridiculously expensive. The amount of software code/configuration changes required is pretty staggering.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #204
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I know this couldn’t work because of the rest of the world but with all the discussion surrounding time standard vs savings time, maybe we should split the difference and only move by 30 minutes permanently.
Already posted this, but this is the only way a change can work.

All of North America has to make the adjustment together permanently by 30 mins. Come spring, roll forward from 2:30am to 3:00am and the time differences across NA time zones remains the same. Saskatchewan would have to shift their clocks by 1/2hr the one time so they don't become Newfoundland.

We lose 1/2hr of summer evening sunlight and lose 1/2hr of winter morning sunlight. A complete lose lose, but no one wins so that's a win for anything like this.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 11-25-2019 at 12:47 PM.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #205
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
The amount of software code/configuration changes required is pretty staggering.
Oh man I never even thought about that. For every "dumb" clock that I have to change today, I'm going to have an outdated "smart" clock that I'll now have to change in it's place.

Well at least until we replace our cars and buy a bunch of new thermostats.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #206
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't most (or all) things that change time automatically with DST have a setting in it that you can change to turn it off? At least that's my experience. I can't imagine that they make special versions of every product for places like Saskatchewan, Hawaii, and Arizona.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #207
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Don't most (or all) things that change time automatically with DST have a setting in it that you can change to turn it off? At least that's my experience. I can't imagine that they make special versions of every product for places like Saskatchewan, Hawaii, and Arizona.
Right, but think of an industrial plant with tons of automated processes that currently handle DST gracefully. By disabling it across all the subsystems/control systems, you now have to test that everything is still good. The cost adds up just due to there being a change of any type.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #208
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Traveling from Arizona to California takes you from mountain time/no DST to pacific time/DST. The automatic clock in my f-150 cannot compute; it jumps 2 hours instead of 1.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote