Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #81
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It’s also possible the ending in the asylum is much later in his life and he’s recounting his origin in his head and realizing that his origin is tied to Batman’s. Hence his escape immediately after he gets the joke.
This could also be used to explain the huge age difference between the Joker and the Batman. When people recollect things they typically insert their current selves into the memory.

Then again, if Arthur Fleck is 30ish in the movie and Bruce Wayne is 10, that could work. Although a 20 plus age gap seems like a lot, and was one of my biggest gripes with the movie. Then again, assuming that Batman is his 20s when he starts, I can't really see the Joker ever being much less than 40.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #82
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
This could also be used to explain the huge age difference between the Joker and the Batman. When people recollect things they typically insert their current selves into the memory.

Then again, if Arthur Fleck is 30ish in the movie and Bruce Wayne is 10, that could work. Although a 20 plus age gap seems like a lot, and was one of my biggest gripes with the movie. Then again, assuming that Batman is his 20s when he starts, I can't really see the Joker ever being much less than 40.
The age gap bothered me as well... but now it all makes sense. Joker is looking back at his origins. Perhaps just before he escapes the asylum? but he sees himself as “current, 30 something” joker when he’s “telling” the story. Explains why Bruce’s dad was characterized as a jerk, because it’s all told through the joker’s eyes. Also explains all the far-fetched delusions like the talk show, getting pulled from the cop car as a hero, coworker giving him a gun, etc, etc... Usually I’m more observant, but I admit I didn’t catch it. The flashback of the neighbour was included as a reference to question everything else. At first I felt that didn’t need to be include, because it was a little on the nose, but obviously it may not of gone far enough. This movie has more depth than what originally came across. I like it even more now. Thanks Blankall and Cecil!
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:51 PM   #83
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Another thing about the age difference is that there is supposed to be a major age difference between the Joker and the Batman. In the Joker's first appearance, he has a significant widow's peak and he's already quite wrinkled.

No one ever really knows much about the Joker, including his age. Maybe he is 20+ years older than the Batman?
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 08:33 PM   #84
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw it tonight.

That was some kinda outstanding. Phoenix was incredible.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #85
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I need to go watch it again. My wife has the theory, that everytime he laughs uncontrollably it’s a scene being made up in his head, or maybe it’s the only parts that are true in his flashback?

Id like to see what parts did that because I wasn’t paying attention to that.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #86
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was home sick yesterday, and watched the Batman movie with Heath Ledger as Joker. Much better movie. Much better character.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #87
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I was home sick yesterday, and watched the Batman movie with Heath Ledger as Joker. Much better movie. Much better character.
We get it, you didn't like the Joker.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #88
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I need to go watch it again. My wife has the theory, that everytime he laughs uncontrollably it’s a scene being made up in his head, or maybe it’s the only parts that are true in his flashback?

Id like to see what parts did that because I wasn’t paying attention to that.
I've read a couple of other reviews pointing to the same thing. Apparently it's more his mood change than the laughter itself. Any scene that shows Arthur in a good mood talking to other people may be made up. It's established pretty early on in the movie that Arthur doesn't interact well with others. Yet, there are many scenes where he seems to be joking around.

I'd definitely like to rewatch for the same reason.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #89
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m torn about this movie. Liked the end but thought it did really drag at times and was a bit painful to get through.

Didn’t think it was great as a stand-alone movie but I really like how they built this version of the Joker (thought Phoenix was great) and liked the ending how it shows Batman and Joker being created at the same time.

As for the age gap I think that makes sense. Joker is 30 in this movie (that was referenced a lot I think in terms of talking to his mother about 30 years, and when they said she hadn’t worked for Thomas Wayne for 30 years)

Bruce would have been about 10 years old. I feel like a 20-25 year old Batman and a 40-45 year old Joker makes sense. I always thought like Joker was older.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #90
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just watched this one last night. I thought it was excellent. The Joker as a character is always such an unpredictable wildcard and this fit right into that space.

The only thing confusing to me is some of the reaction to how dark it is, and how it treats mental illness in a shallow way. But the thing is I thought this was a realistic portrayal of a man who has never felt happiness or love and how his upbringing combined with the mental problems he's suffering created this heinous villain. I could see this happening in real life. Maybe not to such a dramatic extent, but on the whole it felt very real to me. Great film.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #91
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
The only thing confusing to me is some of the reaction to how dark it is, and how it treats mental illness in a shallow way. But the thing is I thought this was a realistic portrayal of a man who has never felt happiness or love and how his upbringing combined with the mental problems he's suffering created this heinous villain. I could see this happening in real life. Maybe not to such a dramatic extent, but on the whole it felt very real to me. Great film.
This is kind of the problem though. If you use this for your template for how mental illness and childhood trauma manifests itself later in life, it ignores a whole other host of self-destructive a tragic outcomes (addiction, various versions of self-harm, etc.). Really the only time the character's mental illness was deemed relevant was when it impacted general society. That's a tremendously shallow (and you could argue callous) way of looking at the problem.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #92
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
This is kind of the problem though. If you use this for your template for how mental illness and childhood trauma manifests itself later in life, it ignores a whole other host of self-destructive a tragic outcomes (addiction, various versions of self-harm, etc.). Really the only time the character's mental illness was deemed relevant was when it impacted general society. That's a tremendously shallow (and you could argue callous) way of looking at the problem.
But it’s a film, it’s meant to entertain not be politically correct or educate people. That’s the part I don’t understand. It’s art. It’s a story about one individual and how things went for him. This doesn’t mean the movie is saying “this is what mental illness looks like”.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #93
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But it’s a film, it’s meant to entertain not be politically correct or educate people. That’s the part I don’t understand. It’s art. It’s a story about one individual and how things went for him. This doesn’t mean the movie is saying “this is what mental illness looks like”.
Is it art?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #94
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well then is it art, or is it a realistic portrayal of mental illness? You don't get to have it both ways.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #95
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched it last night. Thought Phoenix did a great job, definitely great acting. In saying that, I'm not sure I really liked it that much. As others have mentioned, it tends to drag, and is a little to self indulgent. I too preferred Ledger's Joker, but the movies themselves were far different anyways. eh, Id give this one a 6/10, based solely on my tastes.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote