Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #741
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
At some points yes. We have curtains of course to control that a bit, but I also dont necessarily want to get rid of all available light just to watch TV.
The sun shinning directly on the TV would probably be pretty unwatchable in my opinion. You don't need to black out the room by any means but plasmas do get to the next level in a dark room. That said I watch my plasma with the blinds open all the time and it looks great (Fantastic in the dark) but the sun doesn't shine directly on it. I suppose you could always buy a tv and if it doesn't work out return it to Walmart.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #742
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
The sun shinning directly on the TV would probably be pretty unwatchable in my opinion. You don't need to black out the room by any means but plasmas do get to the next level in a dark room. That said I watch my plasma with the blinds open all the time and it looks great (Fantastic in the dark) but the sun doesn't shine directly on it. I suppose you could always buy a tv and if it doesn't work out return it to Walmart.
That's basically how I'd describe it at well. Anything but sun rays actually hitting it is fine. A dark movie in the evening is where plasma really shines. Hockey, there are some things about a good lcd that are better, some things about a plasma that are better. Ice doesn't look quite as white on plasma would be my biggest complaint.

Speaking of longevitiy though, my first Panasonic plasma is still going strong after 7 years.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #743
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah plasmas can have pretty aggressive ABL depending on the model (auto brightness limiter),due to some physical limitations of the tech. Bright white screens are when the ABL is most noticeable, such as hockey. However, following the play/puck is about 10x easier and more enjoyable on a plasma IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #744
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Yes, I understand the blink. I believe that Plasmas definitely have their place as a technology and are superior to LED/LCD in different applications.

However, GENERALLY, I would say for the average TV buyer that the cons associated with plasma outdo their positives for the general end consumer.

If you're taking into account your receiver, speaker position, mounting area, room size and light penetration, I could definitely see picking a Plasma (or projector) over LED/LCD. For general use though, I think LED is where it's at.

Source: I have owned plasma, LED and LCD, but am not a certifiable nerd when it comes to judging specifications. I kneel before the Zods of audio/visual wizardry.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #745
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Yes, I understand the blink. I believe that Plasmas definitely have their place as a technology and are superior to LED/LCD in different applications.

However, GENERALLY, I would say for the average TV buyer that the cons associated with plasma outdo their positives for the general end consumer.

If you're taking into account your receiver, speaker position, mounting area, room size and light penetration, I could definitely see picking a Plasma (or projector) over LED/LCD. For general use though, I think LED is where it's at.

Source: I have owned plasma, LED and LCD, but am not a certifiable nerd when it comes to judging specifications. I kneel before the Zods of audio/visual wizardry.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #746
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't hold back, educate me.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #747
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm just messing with you.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #748
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone purchased these speakers from monoprice?

The reviews seem excellent and obviously the price plays a role in that.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #749
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

The cons of plasma are as mentioned here, direct sunlight sensitivity, slightly more expensive to run, in most cases bulky and not as sexy display cabinet.

The pros are better picture, smoother picture. Trust me the picture in a dark room is amazing, especially on a Kuro or the new Panasonics.

"receiver, speaker position, mounting area, room size" I am not so sure this matters as both are just displays. There is little display type will have to do with sound. Your point on light is valid.

My last post outlined what I believe to be the best general questions to ask when choosing. It is not at all comprehensive, but a start.

This is actually a good little segment on the death of Plasma: http://cnettv.cnet.com/end-plasma-tv...-50160839.html

My personal opinion is that Plasma was killed off by mass consumerism. LED became thin, sexy, and good enough picture wise. The average joe will walk into a show room and see a Samsung 8 series and ignore the brick looking Plasma 9/10. Picture just doesn't matter anymore, its all good enough for most folks.

I don't know how many times I have been to a persons house and seen motion blur on and brightness set to max. I am not a snob but come on, how does that not give you a headache. At least Google your model and basic calibrate it GD!

But that's also why I am selling a Kuro right now and there are no takers. When you can get a Dynex 50" LCD for the same price why get a bulky old Kuro from 5 years ago. It's all the same right?

On the side, I am not a audiophile and I have trouble talking with them (vacuum tubes, really?), so I know how it may seem talking to us display guys.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #750
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Has anyone purchased these speakers from monoprice?

The reviews seem excellent and obviously the price plays a role in that.
I can't speak to the quality of the bookshelf speakers, but I ordered some in-wall rear speakers from monoprice that I couldn't be happier with:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...3701&p_id=4099

Rear speakers aren't as important so I wasn't all that hesitant to use the monoprice brand instead of more well known/expensive speaker. However a buddy bought in wall front and center speakers from monoprice and I was surprised at how good they sounded.

I wouldn't trade my center channel I paid damn good money for, but as long as you're not some insane audiophile, the build quality of a "cheap" monoprice speaker is pretty damn good.

The golden rule of "you get what you pay for" almost doesn't seem to apply when dealing with monoprice.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #751
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
But that's also why I am selling a Kuro right now and there are no takers. When you can get a Dynex 50" LCD for the same price why get a bulky old Kuro from 5 years ago. It's all the same right?
The way I see it is that people need to feel good about their decisions.

So they decide my Sony>Samsung or vice versa or my 240hz LCD>120ha LCD>Plasma and things like that. It's all quantitative in the digital world.

I have people telling my my calibrated Kuro is too dim only because they operate their LCD in torch mode watching it is like staring at the sun.

To each their own. I've long since stop debating AV equipment with the uninitiated ones as I cannot combat the mis-information spewed by the high priced marketing team of Sony and the likes.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #752
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
The way I see it is that people need to feel good about their decisions.

So they decide my Sony>Samsung or vice versa or my 240hz LCD>120ha LCD>Plasma and things like that. It's all quantitative in the digital world.

I have people telling my my calibrated Kuro is too dim only because they operate their LCD in torch mode watching it is like staring at the sun.

To each their own. I've long since stop debating AV equipment with the uninitiated ones as I cannot combat the mis-information spewed by the high priced marketing team of Sony and the likes.
But why can't people like me just enjoy the torch mode and be done with it? Why do we have to be wrong? Isn't it just a preference? I don't like the dim picture of plasma. It looks dark, cheap, and boring. I enjoy the bright picture of LED with popping colours and vivid picture. I don't like this because a sales person told me, it's just my preference.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #753
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
But why can't people like me just enjoy the torch mode and be done with it? Why do we have to be wrong?
On one hand, there's no right or wrong but only personal preference in this business.

On the other hand, there're scientific institutions setting out guidance on where to place your speakers or how to tune your display etc.

Nothing wrong with liking the torch mode and the only suggestion I would make is to at least try a calibrated display and see how you like it. If you go back to torch mode after that, no one can tell you you are wrong.

Last edited by darklord700; 12-17-2013 at 04:08 PM.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #754
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
On one hand, there's no right or wrong but only personal preference in this business.

On the other hand, there're scientific institutions setting out guidance on where to place your speakers or tune your display etc.

Nothing wrong with liking the torch mode and the only suggestion I would make is to at least try a calibrated display and see how you like it. If you go back to torch mode after that, no one can tell you you are wrong.
I'm going to give it a try today after work, who knows maybe I`ll like it. Printed me a calibration guide off cnet
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #755
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm going to give it a try today after work, who knows maybe I`ll like it. Printed me a calibration guide off cnet
A calibrated TV will be more true to life. Give it a week or so with a calibrated picture and then decide. I'd just use the guide as a starting point to make fine adjustments. It's best to buy a video CD to set up your TV.

I know that while visiting my daughter's, she has her TV set on vivid and it won't change as when she last moved, it reset to store mode. It doesn't bother her but for me it was almost unwatchable.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #756
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If you had some kind Motion Blur or Smoothing (aka Soap Opera effect) technology on I will love to hear if you enjoy the TV more with it off.

Honestly my biggest dislike of modern sets.

Past that if you have your TV on Normal/Standard picture mode, you are probably going to enjoy that more than the tweaks from CNET. They tend to dim the picture a little which may not appeal to you. But hey, you can always switch it back so no harm done.

Good on ya for at least trying it out.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #757
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
If you had some kind Motion Blur or Smoothing (aka Soap Opera effect) technology on I will love to hear if you enjoy the TV more with it off.

Honestly my biggest dislike of modern sets.
As much as it sucks with movies/film, I would the think motion smoothing would actually make high-speed sports like hockey look better. As long as you can turn it on/off easily, not a terrible feature to have.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #758
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some general thoughts. I am not a true techy but follow this stuff and dabble a bit.

I got a LG Plasma 3d tv and agree with most of the comments about plasmas people have made here. It works really well in my basement but when I move it back upstairs after renovations are done I will have to use it with the blinds closed. It is almost unwatchable with the blinds open during the day. That is my biggest regret.

I know LG is not in the same category as the others but it was "good enough" for me and I got a smoking deal at a golf tourney. It came with a Gateway and 3 portals for $1100. Having said that, my next tv will almost surely be an LCD/LED as the vast majority of the watching is in the living room upstairs. Also, the Plasma throws heat off like crazy. You can actually feel it if it has been on for a while and you walk by it. I find it hard to believe it is only $50 per year more.

As to speakers I bought these from Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

A word of warning, they are MASSIVE. The wife almost killed the purchase. I did use them for the surrounds and am looking at centre solutions as the centre Monoprice had did not fit in my configuration. They sound pretty good to me and are very loud but I am hoping once I get the room done and calibrate the receiver they will sound even better.

I also bought a Harmony Ultimate remote so all of my components are in the furnace room below the living room. It works extremely well and controls all the devices very well. The IR blasters seem to work no matter where you put them and control the receiver, Gateway DVR, Apple tv and blu-ray player. I also bought a wireless sensor bar for the wii and it works flawlessly as well. A happy wife...

Since I have gone this far... I also bought a Onkyo NR 717 amp: http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.p...urce=prodClass

It was also a smoking deal. It seems to do what I need but the interface is not what I would have expected and it does not play as nice with iphones/ipods as I would like. It also required a bluetooth dongle which sucks but that is what you get for buying older models I guess. It does work but pairing is a bitch. Maybe a dedicated ipod would work better. Right now I would give it a 6/10 but I am hoping once I get it calibrated and have some time to learn its features it will increase its score.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps even if it determines what not to do!!
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #759
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

One other note, I was in futureshop the other day and they had a 70" Samsung on the wall. It actually stopped me in my tracks. I realize it was on display mode and probably blown out but it still looked spectacular. One of the images was a canyon at sunset and the blacks where the shadows were looked awesome even with sunlight on the canyon wall. It was very impressive.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #760
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's AVS Forum's top 9 LCD TVs and yeah plasma's do have problems but so do LCDs.

Quote:
All LCD TVs suffer from some inherent problems that are addressed in various ways—and that plasmas don't have in the first place. For example, LCDs have a hard time achieving really deep blacks, which can be helped by dynamically dimming the LEDs, either all at once or with local dimming. Also, LCDs exhibit motion blur—objects in motion appear more blurry than they do on plasma. A feature generically called frame interpolation (each manufacturer has its own name for this) sharpens motion blur, but it also introduces an artifact called "the soap-opera effect," because it makes movies look like they were shot on video like a soap opera. In most cases, this feature can be turned off if you really hate the soap-opera effect.

The one problem with LCDs that can't be addressed with a "band-aid" is off-axis performance—as you move away from being centered on the screen, the colors often shift and become desaturated, and the black level appears to rise, leading to a washed-out image. As a result, people sitting to the sides will see a less-than-ideal picture. Of the two basic technologies used to make LCD panels, IPS (in-plane switching) usually provides better off-axis performance in the horizontal direction, while VA (vertical alignment) offers better black levels if you're centered on the screen. Panasonic, LG, and Vizio use IPS panels, while Samsung, Sharp, and Sony use variations of VA.
If you got past that he lists some good LCD TVs with the
Sony KDL-55W900A

coming out on top.

http://www.avsforum.com/a/avs-forums...m_medium=email
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post: