Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2023, 05:02 PM   #41
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gotta love it when people like James Reimer out themselves as being unintelligent imbeciles. The level of a mind that thinks this is an acceptable way to think, completely bereft of any logic, so irrational.

To make that statement with such conviction, as if he's making a stand, it's disgusting.

Take your magical thinking and shove it up your ass. This guy sucks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 05:10 PM   #42
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
While I don't share the same view as Reimer, frankly he's not being rude about it, so I don't really care. I really just wish politics and anthems and whatnot were kept out of sports. The whole thing brings about controversy. Even as a minority myself if someone had a "minority night" and a player chose not to participate, citing whatever, I wouldn't care. We're giving them the option, certainly people can have opinions. Talk about it but some of the vitriol thrown at Reimer, generally seen as a nicer person in the game, is ridiculous.
I don't really see this as a political matter, though. It's specifically tied to hockey and the NHL, and the message is that it's a game for everybody. This, to me, is different than things like taking a knee etc., where there's very clearly a bigger picture than just hockey.

and as for his opinion? He can have his opinion, but then people can also have the opinion that his opinion sucks. And to me, it does - including his explanation. The bible also states you can't work on the Sabbath, yet James Reimer has had no problems taking the ice on Sundays during his career.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 05:12 PM   #43
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There’s no better hate than Christian love.
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 05:13 PM   #44
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I don't really see this as a political matter, though. It's specifically tied to hockey and the NHL, and the message is that it's a game for everybody. This, to me, is different than things like taking a knee etc., where there's very clearly a bigger picture than just hockey.

and as for his opinion? He can have his opinion, but then people can also have the opinion that his opinion sucks. And to me, it does - including his explanation. The bible also states you can't work on the Sabbath, yet James Reimer has had no problems taking the ice on Sundays during his career.

I'm not saying he can't be critiqued, but that much vitriol for a well respected guy in something the league didn't mandate and left optional? I dunno man, I frankly don't care. He's not spewing hate.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:18 PM   #45
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's spewing intolerance.
Doesn't matter if he "seems like a nice person". Being nice is not what this is about.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 05:21 PM   #46
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

In the bigger picture beyond this situation, that's why a guy like Brian Burke is such an important figure in the game. Cranky and rugged "truculence" Brian Burke, yet he's got one of the most genuinely loving and accepting hearts in the sport and is a wonderful ally for driving forward inclusiveness in hockey. Just to have one of the tough old hockey execs (and a widely respected one at that) be such a staunch supporter of equality is super important and I'm glad we had him around here for several years.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:23 PM   #47
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by カナダ人です View Post
Still think the worse is John Tortorella saying he would sit/punish any player who sat during the anthem.

Like, that was a peaceful protest against violence against Black people, police brutality, and prejudice.

But no, Torts ain't havin' it. Gotta show unwavering patriotism and "respect" for the anthem and flag.

#### that. It should be about making our world a better place - for everyone. Not turning your brain off in blind "national pride"
To be fair to Torts he later recanted that position.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:23 PM   #48
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

How can a person be intolerance considered nice?
Old 03-18-2023, 05:26 PM   #49
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not saying he can't be critiqued, but that much vitriol for a well respected guy in something the league didn't mandate and left optional? I dunno man, I frankly don't care. He's not spewing hate.
Sure he's not outright spewing hate, but being publicly intolerant then hiding behind faith as an excuse isn't much better in my opinion
Old 03-18-2023, 05:27 PM   #50
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always find it highly intriguing that (largely) the side that is so predominantly less inclined to trust, like, believe in government, also is completely wrapped up in what some stone-age wizard in the sky tells them to do. (Which he ain't even)
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:45 PM   #51
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I can't put myself in his shoes. I can only try. But honestly.....i would bet Luke isn't surprised nor hurt more than usual by Reimer's dumb comment. He probably expects there are some relics of the past that think like this. But they are dwindling.

In fact, i'm betting Luke and other members feel a little bit better and better as time passes, as he knows that there is a VAST majority of folks that grows in size all the time who support him including Christians like myself. I think we are in a better place now than we were 10 years ago. And in another 10 years we are going to be even better.
You're probably right about Prokop. He's already shown a lot of strength and perseverance and it's likely this is something he's dealt with before.

I wish I had your optimism about the future, but the last few years have undermined my confidence. I'm not going to act the alarmist, but far-right social ideals have crept back in and taken hold in a way I hadn't expected.

If society can take away bodily autonomy from women, I'm loathe to think how they'll continue to oppress groups they don't even view as people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
A few players refusing to wear a pride jersey does not mean the NHL has a problem with intolerance. At most it means those few individuals are intolerant.

I think the fact so few players opted out of wearing it when they clearly can shows just how tolerant the NHL has become

1% of the league refusing to wear a pride jersey doesn’t make the NHL intolerant.
Since Provorov refused to wear the jersey we have had an entire organization scrap their plans for a Pride jersey night and another player join them with some utterly backwards thinking to justify it. These veins of intolerance are running underneath the NHL and are just starting to rear their head.

Your product undermining league initiatives doesn't automatically make the NHL intolerant, but it is a noticeable trend more players/organizations are becoming comfortable with and that is a problem the NHL would be smart to address.

Quote:
While I don't share the same view as Reimer, frankly he's not being rude about it, so I don't really care. I really just wish politics and anthems and whatnot were kept out of sports. The whole thing brings about controversy. Even as a minority myself if someone had a "minority night" and a player chose not to participate, citing whatever, I wouldn't care. We're giving them the option, certainly people can have opinions. Talk about it but some of the vitriol thrown at Reimer, generally seen as a nicer person in the game, is ridiculous.
"For me, to some extent, that's what you want to do is you want to love them, but where I keep reiterating what I'm saying is where it intersects for a Christian and the way I personally and the people close to me in my life interpret the Bible is you love them, but you can't support the activity or lifestyle."

Apart from being quite the word salad strife with contradictions, it's also quite disrespectful. Sexuality and self-identity isn't an "activity", a "lifestyle", or "politics". This is just an attempt to make hate and intolerance palatable through disproven tropes while using the Bible as a prop.

I have little problem with people calling Reimer out on his nonsense.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 05:49 PM   #52
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reimer is just using religion as an excuse to be an intolerant a-hole. There are a lot of Christians who don't take the stance he has.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:50 PM   #53
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still a free country. They can do what they want. As far as I know anyway.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:54 PM   #54
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I’d love to see a player come out and refuse to participate in military appreciation night because of the atrocities committed by the US in Iraq or Afghanistan. Or say they are against promoting the armed forces due to their religious beliefs.

Then we’ll see how much the league wants to support freedom of expression when a sponsor who paid to have their own special jersey gets upset.

Having a bunch of homophobe players hasn’t cost the league any money yet, so they don’t give a #### about these pride events.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 03-18-2023 at 05:58 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 05:54 PM   #55
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:56 PM   #56
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
The nhl isn’t a country. So no, they can’t.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 05:57 PM   #57
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
Enjoy it while it lasts.
Please do go on.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:58 PM   #58
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
Enjoy it while it lasts.
Looks like we might have one here
Old 03-18-2023, 06:06 PM   #59
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, let's use your analogy then:

"I certainly believe in the value of everyone, but I cannot endorse being Japanese because it's counter to my personal convictions which are based on the Bible"

And really, it's actually an event supporting inclusion for LGBTQ+ because they are under particular discrimination right now, so a more close analogy would be:

"I believe everyone has value, but being Black isn't something I can support"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 06:09 PM   #60
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post

This is what drives me nuts!

"It's a free country! He can choose what he likes and say what he likes!"

Yes! And so can we! Criticism is also free speech!!!!!!!!!

Like, when someone says something controversial, we're not saying he should be arrested. We're saying it's hypocritical, silly, outdated, stupid, etc. We're also just sharing our own free speech
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread