Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2023, 11:49 AM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

It also can't be easy playing D for Edmonton. ENG aside, I'm serious. It's a microscope up there and they chew up D like Calgary does goalies.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:03 PM   #22
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
And “Be kind to one another because you never know what someone might be going through. And stop commenting on people’s weight…it’s friggen weird." reminds me of the all-star conversation where people saw photos of the players on vacation and started judging their bodies and making negative comments about their fitness.

Fandom (not just sports) has gotten a bit sick, in the sense of how little these people are viewed as people and how often others feel they have some ownership over them just for being a fan.

Even some comments about Sutter lately have gone well beyond criticisms of him as a coach. People need a reminder that they don’t know these people, they aren’t their friends or coworkers or bosses. They are people, and just because you pay to watch them do their job doesn’t mean they owe you anything.
Yeah that conversation about the ASB was meant be more of a constructive conversation about fitness, as some of us here are into that and its not weird when you're into that to be discussing bodies. And I don't think it got too weird as people kept it civil which was a rare feat for CP.

But I get if there are some people who are more sensitive or uncomfortable with such discussions.

It's a tricky subject and one that needs to be had around the appropriate crowd.

Having gone through bouts of body dismorphia as a young adult (which led me personally to fitness) I can also empathize with where Koekkoek is coming from when he says that.

But yeah I guess we can also be "harsher" on athletes that play for our team, but I think that's because we don't expect any of them to read what we write on here. Maybe that's practicing poor etiquette, but that's also forums to a degree.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:33 PM   #23
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Scientists Have Developed a Blood Test For Anxiety

https://www.sciencealert.com/scienti...st-for-anxiety
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:41 PM   #24
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anxiety is a symptom of modern life. I said what I said.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:31 PM   #25
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I would take out the word “modern” there if you mean what I think you mean.

I don’t think our ancestry has ever been “not anxious” and it’s just a function of “modern life” (whatever that means and whatever arbitrary starting point you apply).

But still, there’s a clear bounds for anxiety that most people endure and then there is obviously anxiety that can reach heightened levels, which is what this is about.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 01:51 PM   #26
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Anxiety is a symptom of modern life. I said what I said.
I would think it's genetic -- hardwired DNA in our ancestry.

Like, being anxious about getting eaten by an animal...
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 01:52 PM   #27
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, anxiety is an evolutionary imperative. It at times kept our ancestors alive.

But folks with an anxiety disorder, like me, experience it very differently than the 'normal' brain.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:55 PM   #28
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Yeah, anxiety is an evolutionary imperative. It at times kept our ancestors alive.

But folks with an anxiety disorder, like me, experience it very differently than the 'normal' brain.
Sorry bud. I hate to hear that.

What non-chemical approaches work for you? I don’t have near your level but I do find exercise, just hanging with my dog, and mindfulness help me. But curious how folks cope.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:04 PM   #29
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Sorry bud. I hate to hear that.

What non-chemical approaches work for you? I don’t have near your level but I do find exercise, just hanging with my dog, and mindfulness help me. But curious how folks cope.
Exercise does help, but I'm still struggling to get back in that routine after lockdown. The mindfulness piece is huge. And sometimes it's just letting myself feel instead of fighting the feelings you know? Also working on setting healthier boundaries and trying not to rely on others for ALL my validation. Oh, and I'm on twitter way less.

Last edited by Yeah_Baby; 03-16-2023 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:06 PM   #30
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I was just going to bring up the Kylington situation, and how completely un-empathetic the "suck it up and play, you make millions, stop whining" crowd is.
Did Kylington suddenly get anxiety problems between Aug and Sept just after signing a $5m contract?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 02:12 PM   #31
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Exercise does help, but I'm still struggling to get back in that routine after lockdown. The mindfulness piece is huge. And sometimes it's just letting myself feel instead of fighting the feelings you know? .
Not sure where I caught the term from, but I started reframing my “panic attacks” as “adrenaline floods” and it helps some.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 02:12 PM   #32
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Did Kylington suddenly get anxiety problems between Aug and Sept just after signing a $5m contract?
Well, we don’t know what Kylington is dealing with, but it’s not uncommon for mental issues to increase in severity or for the symptoms to change for the worse or become unmanageable fairly suddenly.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 02:13 PM   #33
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

A lot of the old-school enforcers had psychological issues, which was exacerbated with drugs/alcohol/destructive behaviour. A long list of tragic outcomes as a consequence, sadly.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 02:13 PM   #34
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 02:16 PM   #35
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Not sure where I caught the term from, but I started reframing my “panic attacks” as “adrenaline floods” and it helps some.
reframing can be so powerful, it sounds so simple, but it's a great way to try and create distance from the feeling and reduce the potential to spiral. During my worst spiral like 8 years ago I ended up banging my head on a wall and ripping my hoodie into a vneck. Not super proud of it, but I am proud of the work I've done and how far I've come.

(I've also never told anyone that 'aloud' so now I'm reflecting on how I've confronted my internalized shame)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 04:53 PM   #36
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The eating thing struck home for me.
When my anxiety and insomnia was at its worst several years ago, I also couldn't eat. I starting dropping pounds to the point that people noticed and congratulated me on how "good I looked" and what not.

In the meantime I was crumbling as a human being rapidly.
And the fact that people noticed my weight lost sent me further into that spiral.

The more people talk openly and vulnerably about this stuff the better.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 06:26 PM   #37
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The eating thing struck home for me.
When my anxiety and insomnia was at its worst several years ago, I also couldn't eat. I starting dropping pounds to the point that people noticed and congratulated me on how "good I looked" and what not.

In the meantime I was crumbling as a human being rapidly.
And the fact that people noticed my weight lost sent me further into that spiral.

This basically described my situation exactly. I started a low dose of Cipralex and it has done wonders for me
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:31 PM   #38
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I opened up about 3 years ago when I finally came to terms with having anxiety issues and depression.
half the battle was to get there (realize what my behavior was and some of my coping mechanisms ) the second half for me was saying it "out loud"

Even if was out loud to all my Facebook , family ,friends ,co-workers ,acquaintances it was life changing.
The outpouring of support still brings a tear to my eye.
I even managed to help someone else come to the realization of their issues ,and that was the most amazing part for me, that not only did I help myself but someone else as well.

The struggles for me are daily but I am in a much better place today than I was then. Hearing some of your stories helps

You are never alone
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FlatLandFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 03:20 PM   #39
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Well, we don’t know what Kylington is dealing with, but it’s not uncommon for mental issues to increase in severity or for the symptoms to change for the worse or become unmanageable fairly suddenly.
Or the massive expectations that come with a contract like that
Old 03-17-2023, 05:13 PM   #40
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Breathing exercises helps me during an attack. Also i will search threads on reddit on getting over attacks.

Its not so much the yips that help me but the fact knowing so many other people go through it and survive, it helps to minimalize the attack in my head.
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote