Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2023, 01:36 PM   #61
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

don't have a clue who's that goalie, but I know his parents are morons for spelling his name with an X
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:37 PM   #62
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does it make me old that I remember Jaxson's dad Robb playing goal for the Kings in the 80's?

/No need to answer that question lol
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:43 PM   #63
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Does it make me old that I remember Jaxson's dad Robb playing goal for the Kings in the 80's?

/No need to answer that question lol
Jaxson is supposed to Jackson?

What is next Eric is Airwreck.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:47 PM   #64
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Or even crazier - imagine if we'd given Gudbranson his contract, and someone else got Zadorov on his contract. Yeck.

Also, Zadarov/Zadorov is something I've done wrong so, so much since he got here.

If we do figure out that Kylington isn't coming back this season, I like the idea of Zadorov - Weegar even more going forward because Tanev elevates absolutely everyone - so the likelihood that we could acquire a depth LHD, and pair him with Tanev and form a brilliant pairing is way higher than doing that with Zadorov or Weegs in my eyes.
Thought we were trading Hanifin as well.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:56 PM   #65
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1618266931420856325

I'd say he's doing pretty well in the 5v5 defensive side of things. Offensively could see a bit more output but I think it's hard to argue he's been solid on the defensive side of things.
We have to somehow reconcile his advanced stats to what we as fans see on the ice. I think most of us on the board have watched the majority of the games this year. TBH I care less about the amount of points he puts up, versus his game in general. The decision making, composure, skating ability and high/low IQ plays. With that in mind, I can't say he's stood out in any good way thus far. He's been very mediocre.

Based on his performance so far, I'd have him behind Andersson, Hanifin, Tanev and Zadorov. I would go as far to say that I'd probably have Kylington in front of him as well. I'm hoping that once Kylington comes back, we can move Weegar to his natural side with Zadorov full time. IMO, he just looks off and a bit awkward playing the left side.
I know we saw a little bit of it earlier in the season, but the Zadorov/Weegar pairing will be good to keep an eye on tonight especially since they will be getting lots of minutes.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:58 PM   #66
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Horse View Post
Have been disappointed with Weegar. I like the player but too many glaring turnovers. He has looked better rushing the puck, gap controls and denying zone entries lately. He seems to lack finish but it would be nice to see him get some pp time and see what he could do there. The team needs him to step up and be more reliable in his own end. Has not come as advertised yet.
Maybe your expectations are too high?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1617613163775823872
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 02:01 PM   #67
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

In NHL 23 terms we got a 79 and 97 overall with a 1st round pick for a 95 overall.

Plus Cole who is probably a 75 overall.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:03 PM   #68
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does The Schwindt look in the A?
Old 01-26-2023, 02:03 PM   #69
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
We have to somehow reconcile his advanced stats to what we as fans see on the ice. I think most of us on the board have watched the majority of the games this year. TBH I care less about the amount of points he puts up, versus his game in general. The decision making, composure, skating ability and high/low IQ plays. With that in mind, I can't say he's stood out in any good way thus far. He's been very mediocre.

Based on his performance so far, I'd have him behind Andersson, Hanifin, Tanev and Zadorov. I would go as far to say that I'd probably have Kylington in front of him as well. I'm hoping that once Kylington comes back, we can move Weegar to his natural side with Zadorov full time. IMO, he just looks off and a bit awkward playing the left side.
I know we saw a little bit of it earlier in the season, but the Zadorov/Weegar pairing will be good to keep an eye on tonight especially since they will be getting lots of minutes.
If you don't like flowery graphs you can just look at shot volume.

He's the 7th best defenseman in the league with 600+ minutes (top four dmen) at 2.13 xga60.

7th.

He's elite at preventing bad stuff from happening on the ice, blunders included.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 02:10 PM   #70
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
How does The Schwindt look in the A?
He has 23 points in 38 games. Not the greatest production, but Darryl did mention him as a good prospect in the practice presser yesterday
Old 01-26-2023, 02:16 PM   #71
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post

He totally suffers from Brodie-itis. Most of the time you don't really notice him and he is shutting down the opposition but when makes a mistake it is really noticeable. I was expecting a bit more offence though
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 02:26 PM   #72
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
He totally suffers from Brodie-itis. Most of the time you don't really notice him and he is shutting down the opposition but when makes a mistake it is really noticeable. I was expecting a bit more offence though
And transitory defenseman make bigger splash mistakes because they don't just dump it every time they get it.

A Brodie or Weegar take the puck on a dump out, transfer it across their body and try and head the other way.

That creates more mistake chances than someone who just dumps the puck back in.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 02:30 PM   #73
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
First shut out of the year!!!
No, Stalock recorded a shutout already.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 02:59 PM   #74
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

do it for Katy

Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 03:00 PM   #75
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
icon54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Maybe your expectations are too high?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1617613163775823872
Did you watch his last game? I think he turned it over 3 times on one shift. You have to expect a certain standard of play especially the way he was hyped up before coming here. I didn't watch him before he came here.Some were saying he could be our top defensemen and when you sign a guy for 8yrs and for 6.25 starting next year you would expect better results. No matter what the analytics say he needs to be quite a bit better.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 03:05 PM   #76
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Chicago's probable lines:

Athanasiou-Domi-Kane
Kurashev-Toews-Raddysh
Dickinson-Lafferty-Blackwell
Katchouk-Entwistle-RJohnson

McCabe-SJones
JJohnson-Murphy
CJones-Mitchell

Line #3 has been our most consistent lately.

We had a 6 game stretch that threatened the tank, and some rooks were brought in to make NHL debuts to subtly derail the streak, Philp is a scratch tonight, Stauber won his debut.

If you guys forgot, I am enraged by game fixing, which is how I view "tanking." And I hope that it is NOT rewarded. Fandom aside, I prefer the integrity of the game.

I think I will be able to get a feed for tonight's game, and will be hanging in the GT. Looking forward to chatting with my friends here at CP... Best of luck to you and your guys.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:10 PM   #77
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
Chicago's probable lines:

Athanasiou-Domi-Kane
Kurashev-Toews-Raddysh
Dickinson-Lafferty-Blackwell
Katchouk-Entwistle-RJohnson

McCabe-SJones
JJohnson-Murphy
CJones-Mitchell

Line #3 has been our most consistent lately.

We had a 6 game stretch that threatened the tank, and some rooks were brought in to make NHL debuts to subtly derail the streak, Philp is a scratch tonight, Stauber won his debut.

If you guys forgot, I am enraged by game fixing, which is how I view "tanking." And I hope that it is NOT rewarded. Fandom aside, I prefer the integrity of the game.

I think I will be able to get a feed for tonight's game, and will be hanging in the GT. Looking forward to chatting with my friends here at CP... Best of luck to you and your guys.
No Philp?
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 03:12 PM   #78
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I would actually disagree with the Brodie - Weegar comparison. Brodie was an excellent skater during his time as a Flame, Weegar not so much.
As a result Brodie was much more noticeable during the games because he has the ability to either skate a puck out of the zone or pass it out. Hence a gaff when he's skating it out will be much more noticeable.

Weegar on the other hand, his gaffs are ill timed passes or forcing plays/passes that aren't there. These are the plays that I'm referring to which have been disappointing and shouldn't be happening, especially coming from someone who was expected to challenge Andersson as the #1 coming into this season.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 03:14 PM   #79
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
No Philp?

After AM skate, it looks like Katchouk, not Philp
Old 01-26-2023, 03:15 PM   #80
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Horse View Post
Did you watch his last game? I think he turned it over 3 times on one shift. You have to expect a certain standard of play especially the way he was hyped up before coming here. I didn't watch him before he came here.Some were saying he could be our top defensemen and when you sign a guy for 8yrs and for 6.25 starting next year you would expect better results. No matter what the analytics say he needs to be quite a bit better.
Sigh ...

Nobody is arguing he makes mistakes, that's what we heard out of Florida too.

but his mistakes are included in the metrics of what he gives up and he's 7th in the league in expected goals against

So no ... he's fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: