Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-08-2023, 02:52 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
wranglers Wranglers mailbag!!!

Just published a massive Wranglers mailbag, answering questions on all these topics and more:

- NHL ETAs for Zary and Poirier
- Cole Schwindt's progression
- Will they ever get a mascot?
- Are they finally done relocating?
- Future jerseys

Was lucky enough to chat at length with AHL president Scott Howson, Mitch Love, both Phillips and Wolf, and a bunch of other folks in Laval over the weekend to inform some of my responses to these questions.

Would also invite you all to post questions for future mailbags, if you'd be so inclined. Had a lot of fun with this one.

Cheers!

https://flamesnation.ca/news/flamesn...ain-in-calgary

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 03:19 PM   #2
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks!
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 03:56 PM   #3
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beauty Scorp!

My question is:
As a late 5th round pick out of the scribe box in Cowtown, how do you see young reporter Mike Gould coming along in his first year reporting? Do you see him as an all star writer/TSN trade desk reporter, eventually moving to the center of the hockey universe in Toronto, or is he destined to write for the Okotoks Oilers for the next ten years?
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 03:59 PM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I would like to stay in the Calgary area if possible. Honestly prefer doing small-scale stuff.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 05:18 PM   #5
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the skill drop off between more than a middle-six forward, and a middle-six center?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:33 PM   #6
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
What's the skill drop off between more than a middle-six forward, and a middle-six center?
Not sure exactly what you're referring to but I know I called Zary a potential middle-six NHL centre and Schwindt a current middle-six AHL forward. I think there's a big dropoff between the two of them.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:33 PM   #7
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mis-read, thought I read Schwindt could be more than a middle-six NHL winger, missed the AHL part. My bad. A big- drop-off from an middle-six NHL center to a middle-six AHL winger makes perfect sense.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 06:58 PM   #8
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

My fault for not being clearer.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:01 PM   #9
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had a blast reading through that story and think this is a really great idea for the forums too; it means so much to have a longtime poster so closely affiliated with the farm club and with a finger much closer to the pulse of the future of the Flames than most of us could hope to be so I really appreciate your insight Scorp!

I’m super excited to hear about the progression of Solovyov as I think his first year in the Ahl was solid and really like the idea of a stay-at-home meat and potatoes D with size coming up through the ranks. He’s already been a better than average pick for a 7th rounder by making it this far, totally rooting for him.

My question is what is it like to watch Wolf up close and personal on a routine basis and how does he compare to other goalie prospects we’ve had in the past from your viewings? When’s it time to get truly excited by the hype, has that time come? Not bad for another 7th rounder, the scouting staff needs to be applauded for some of the later picks the past few years.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 08:20 PM   #10
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The Wranglers really need to make their audio feeds available if they want to build interest.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 08:56 PM   #11
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Had a blast reading through that story and think this is a really great idea for the forums too; it means so much to have a longtime poster so closely affiliated with the farm club and with a finger much closer to the pulse of the future of the Flames than most of us could hope to be so I really appreciate your insight Scorp!

I’m super excited to hear about the progression of Solovyov as I think his first year in the Ahl was solid and really like the idea of a stay-at-home meat and potatoes D with size coming up through the ranks. He’s already been a better than average pick for a 7th rounder by making it this far, totally rooting for him.

My question is what is it like to watch Wolf up close and personal on a routine basis and how does he compare to other goalie prospects we’ve had in the past from your viewings? When’s it time to get truly excited by the hype, has that time come? Not bad for another 7th rounder, the scouting staff needs to be applauded for some of the later picks the past few years.
Thank you for the excellent feedback.

Wolf is really incredible. Very calm on and off the ice, truly a nice guy and surprisingly funny. Unbelievably athletic — probably the most acrobatic goalie I've seen in the organization since Miikka. I want to see him begin to get games in April. The one word I would use (and have used) above all others to describe him is "perfectionist."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 09:26 PM   #12
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks Scorp! Just to echo the comments above, we're very lucky that you are on this forum- you're an extremely valuable poster!
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2023, 11:46 PM   #13
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Is there a reason Meloche hasn't been called up yet?
Old 02-09-2023, 01:51 AM   #14
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not really a team related question but with how is it all working out with all the teams in the Dome?

I assume the Flames dressing room is off limits and there is an NHL caliber visitors dressing room. Do the Wranglers, Hitman have their own? At one point, the Hitmen were a really high draw in the WHL and the #2 tenant at the Dome. I would assume the AHL has higher standards and would require a suitable dressing room.

I know during the World Jr's tournament in 2012 the Flames were busy renovating and adding space for all the teams needed. I can imagine it being tight with everything going on but any insight you can provide in terms of how it's working out with fitness and medical/trainer facilities, space etc"
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:32 AM   #15
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I know the lineup is constantly changing but would you be able to give a snapshot of what the typical lines have been this season? I always like to see who is playing with who.
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 11:02 AM   #16
jatylo
Draft Pick

Which player has suprised you the most this season?
I heard all about Phillips and Wolf prior to this season, but Duehr has quickly became my favorite and so happy he had a chance in the NHL
*His fun little goal celebration towards the bench always gets me
jatylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:06 PM   #17
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Is there a reason Meloche hasn't been called up yet?
Scorpion can confirm or deny but I understood it be either a waiver or cap issue or both.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 01:43 PM   #18
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

(this may not warrant inclusion in a future mailbag article, but no harm in asking)

On the topic of Wrangler merch, will the jerseys available for sale eventually include higher quality versions similar to the Flames range? Obviously the AHL product overall is more suited to a price-conscious segment, it just seems a shame that with one of the most beautiful jerseys in the league the ones currently available feel like wearing a burlap sack, and have cheap-looking pressed on patches.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 02:20 PM   #19
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Looks like the Grease City Trash Birds have renewed their arena lease for five more years, so that quashes any thought of heading north up to Stinkville.

https://theahl.com/condors-renew-lea...ics-bank-arena
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 03:49 PM   #20
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGame View Post
(this may not warrant inclusion in a future mailbag article, but no harm in asking)

On the topic of Wrangler merch, will the jerseys available for sale eventually include higher quality versions similar to the Flames range? Obviously the AHL product overall is more suited to a price-conscious segment, it just seems a shame that with one of the most beautiful jerseys in the league the ones currently available feel like wearing a burlap sack, and have cheap-looking pressed on patches.
That's the CCM standard, unfortunately. Unless the AHL ever cuts a deal with a different manufacturer I don't anticipate we'll ever see anything closer to the on-ice standard with the fan replicas. It's the same with the Hitmen.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post: