Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Mental gymnastics at their finest

https://twitter.com/user/status/1568661102933995526

Old 09-12-2022, 08:04 AM   #1022
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers 2nd worst at managing cap space/contracts?
David Staples does not agree!!!

Huh? Edmonton Oilers are NHL's second worst team at managing player salaries, says analytics writer

Quote:
This in from the Daily Faceoff’s analytics writer Scott Maxwell, his take that when it comes to handing out bloated contracts and getting poor value under the NHL’s salary cap, the Oilers rank as the second worst team in the league, behind only the lowly Chicago Blackhawks.
https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...alytics-writer

The article in question
NHL team salary cap rankings: an introduction
https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/nhl-tea...-introduction/

And the rankings started, with bottom 8 teams ranked
NHL team salary cap rankings: #32-25
https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/nhl-tea...ankings-32-25/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #1023
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

No one can write an article about the Oilers with out Staples chiming in. He's like a child that always has to get in the last word. My Take!. The guy is a goof.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:00 AM   #1024
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers were lucky to get McDavid and Draisaitl to commit to the max term for their extensions as it gave them a long window to figure everything else out. We will see how the Hyman contract ages as well as the Campbell one but I don’t really like either deal long term. Nurse is a brutal contract and they are trying to dump Barrie and Foegle after the first year of their deals. Kane will be interesting to see if he doesn’t regress without the carrot of a long term deal in front of him.

I look at the Oilers through a pessimistic view so I can easily see them having a nightmare season with an injury or stumble that causes things to go off the rails
Old 09-12-2022, 10:08 AM   #1025
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Its funny how Staples completely forgets that they have to trade someone to sign Mcleoad and still likely won’t have a full lineup. If a convenient Smith injury doesn’t fall in their lap their goaltending tandem is Smith and Skinner this year. Next year Bouchard, Pulijarvi, Yamamoto and Skinner will need new deals. Everyone coming off the books is near league minimum and they have to replace them. The only real relief they will have is Sekera’s buyout will be gone. But they will probably have to buy somebody else out to make it work. All of this while McDavid and Draisaitl are in their prime and on sweetheart deals. The cap will only rise slightly again next year. By the time it makes a big jump the big 2 will need huge raises. Their cap situation is a mess.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:09 AM   #1026
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
No one can write an article about the Oilers with out Staples chiming in. He's like a child that always has to get in the last word. My Take!. The guy is a goof.
He's got a great gig actually. The Edmonton Journal pays him to grab articles written by actual sports people, then add "My Take" to the bottom. Of course, the My Take section is nothing but inane ramblings.

Staples: Darnell Nurse will be a top pair defensman this year because over the course of his career he has not been a top pair defenseman, so now it's time. It's just math. Also, multiple Cups.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:13 AM   #1027
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
The Oilers lead the league in "this sort of justification for bad management was obviously inevitable from the moment the deal was signed". They do it constantly. Koskinen, Kassian, Cody Ceci, this Nurse deal, every time it's "wow, that's going to look terrible in short order; I wonder how the national embarrassment of a local hockey media corps will try to spin it as somehow okay when that happens".
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-12-2022, 10:32 AM   #1028
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

per Ryan Rishaug, Oilers are waiting to see if Jake Virtanen will accept their PTO offer
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 10:38 AM   #1029
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

That ranking seems fair to me. They've had/have some terrible contracts, and it matches up with team performance. Drafting McDavid and Draisatl but never winning anything after so many years is pretty awful.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 09-12-2022, 10:40 AM   #1030
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The Oilers lead the league in "this sort of justification for bad management was obviously inevitable from the moment the deal was signed". They do it constantly. Koskinen, Kassian, Cody Ceci, this Nurse deal, every time it's "wow, that's going to look terrible in short order; I wonder how the national embarrassment of a local hockey media corps will try to spin it as somehow okay when that happens".
When you look at a contract like Nurse or any contract. First question you have to ask is when is this contract going to be good. Now? In a couple years or the whole deal or none of the deal.

Oilers fans laugh at the Flames for Kadri and Huberdeau contracts. Both probably will be bad at some point. But right now they are great deals. Especially Huberdeau as you can't completely disregard the $5.9 cap hit this year. Maybe Kadri deal will be tough in 2 years but the cap could up huge in 2 years making it ok for maybe 4 or 5 years. Huberdeau's contract could be great the whole contract depending on cap escalation. But likely a great deal for 5-7 years.

Nurse on the other may never be a great deal. If you label Nurse as a $7mil dman, that's 8.48% of the current salary cap. The cap would need to go to 108.9 mil before his contract is 8.48% of the cap. That will not happen in the life of this contract. So it's a bad deal for the entire length of the contract.

Add in signing young players to 1 year deals, Kassian, Campbell, buyouts, cap overages IMO the Oilers should be last in cap management.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:40 AM   #1031
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
per Ryan Rishaug, Oilers are waiting to see if Jake Virtanen will accept their PTO offer
Just need the right fit at centre for him and Kane now
Old 09-12-2022, 10:46 AM   #1032
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Just need the right fit at centre for him and Kane now
To really accentuate their skill sets they might need to get a Cosby type. Crosby type that is... I meant Crosby
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 10:49 AM   #1033
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Up and down like a toilet seat every time that franchise makes me want to 🤮

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 09-12-2022, 11:39 AM   #1034
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't even see how their own fans can actually support that team, with those people.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:40 AM   #1035
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if he would be immediately inducted into their HoF.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:40 AM   #1036
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDavid is going to take Iggy's title for best player to never win a Cup.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:45 AM   #1037
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Because he's inundated with other offers?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 12:02 PM   #1038
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I don't even see how their own fans can actually support that team, with those people.
Come on. It's Edmonton. Have you seen all the apologetic Oilers fans in regards to Kane? Craig MacTavish was found guilty of vehicular homicide in the 80's (while playing for the Oilers) and the organization fast tracked him to head coach and GM. They are all about second chances for #######s and so are their fans. It's a #### organization and fanbase at the end of the day. Virtanen will be welcomed with open arms by fans and the organization as this is the way in Edmonton.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:22 PM   #1039
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
McDavid is going to take Iggy's title for best player to never win a Cup.

A game of inches... that Game 6 goal, or no goal could of changed everything for him, at least Iginla made it to the Stanley Cup finals, I wonder if McDavid will make it at least that far.

Mats Sundin, Marcel Dionne, Mike Gartner, Peter Stastny, and Pierre Turgeon are all great players that never even made it to the Cup Finals. Adam Oates, Dale Hawerchuk (speaking of: who's jersey is not retired in Winnipeg - but Arizona - never playing an NHL game there), and Roberto Luongo also come to mind that have made it to the Finals but never won.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:28 PM   #1040
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Craig MacTavish was found guilty of vehicular homicide in the 80's

https://www.sportscasting.com/craig-...ear-old-woman/

Wow... I never knew that... Was Dany Heatley ever charged or convicted of a similar thing?

Last edited by JackIsBack; 09-12-2022 at 12:31 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , no good no good , no good no good no good , not f***ing good enough