Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 11:50 PM   #4241
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

That's a different kind of scratch.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2023, 11:57 PM   #4242
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Will Spector ask a question about “the old days” and missing a game because of this?
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to All In Good Time For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 12:23 AM   #4243
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
In today's version of "What the hell is Mark Spector thinking..." I present to you his question from the media period earlier today.

https://youtu.be/masseadZ698

Skip to 6:15.

"In the old days players didn't leave the team or miss practice when their wives were giving birth. I believe we have changed a bit since then. We have a player in Vancouver miss Saturday night's game because his dog passed and he didn't feel up to it. What are your thoughts on that? If a player came to you said my dog died, I can't play...what do you do?"

What a complete imbecile and as much as I dislike Woodcroft he handled the ridiculous question admirably.
he needs to be beaten with the stupid stick

then again I suppose he already has, many times

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 01-25-2023 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:39 AM   #4244
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
In today's version of "What the hell is Mark Spector thinking..." I present to you his question from the media period earlier today.

https://youtu.be/masseadZ698

Skip to 6:15.

"In the old days players didn't leave the team or miss practice when their wives were giving birth. I believe we have changed a bit since then. We have a player in Vancouver miss Saturday night's game because his dog passed and he didn't feel up to it. What are your thoughts on that? If a player came to you said my dog died, I can't play...what do you do?"

What a complete imbecile and as much as I dislike Woodcroft he handled the ridiculous question admirably.
What a doosh. Then when he doesn’t get the answer he wants, expecting mocking of the player, he flips to suggest he’s on board with mental health.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:52 AM   #4245
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the problem when you're employing these fanboy journalists who are heavily personally invested in the club and its fortunes beyond the gig. They take their Oilers a little too seriously, now to where results transcend other life issues that affect these players as much as you or me - mental health, family issues, even the birth of children has been called in question on Twitter, which is asinine.

Yes, they make enormous salaries for what they do and there are large expectations that come with that, but they're also humans and this is the 21st century. We aren't unconsciable savages.

This is why mcdavid in all likelihood can't wait to cut ties with that toxic dump. Its a small world with nothing else going on, everybody is way too close to their work and ####s where they eat. It's a repulsive culture that blows up a game meant for entertainment to being bigger than life, all in the name of soothing their community's pervasive inferiority complex.

Spector can get bent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 07:31 AM   #4246
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

“Uhhhh…Spec can I have a word.”
Old 01-25-2023, 07:36 AM   #4247
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Woodcroft has a lot of Trump hand gestures!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 10:48 AM   #4248
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Regardless or where you sat on the spectrum the other night with regards to Johnny I think we can all unite in cheering for the l’il fella to light up the greasers tonight.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:53 AM   #4249
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
Regardless or where you sat on the spectrum the other night with regards to Johnny I think we can all unite in cheering for the l’il fella to light up the greasers tonight.

Spoiler!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 11:03 AM   #4250
jonesy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know man, my beloved dog died in 2016 and I went to work the next day. I can't imagine asking for time off. What would you do? Sit and sniffle on the couch?
I don't think I'm a 'tough guy' or brute, but really don't see why an employer needs to pay for me to grieve a pet.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:07 AM   #4251
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
I don't know man, my beloved dog died in 2016 and I went to work the next day. I can't imagine asking for time off. What would you do? Sit and sniffle on the couch?
I don't think I'm a 'tough guy' or brute, but really don't see why an employer needs to pay for me to grieve a pet.
Good for you?

People are different and people grieve differently.
A lot of my peers take their birthday off, I generally don't. Does that make me a more moral person?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 11:15 AM   #4252
jonesy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Good for you?

People are different and people grieve differently.
A lot of my peers take their birthday off, I generally don't. Does that make me a more moral person?
Moral? What does that have to do with it? Time off with pay for a lost pet just seems a bit much.
Time off w/o pay, sure.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:19 AM   #4253
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Moral? What does that have to do with it? Time off with pay for a lost pet just seems a bit much.
Time off w/o pay, sure.
To you maybe. I dunno, if you have personal days and you're grieving because like a lot of millennials you're not having kids but have a dog, why not take the personal day? Is it better to take the time you need when you have it, or to try and power though work when you're grieving.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 11:34 AM   #4254
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I did the same thing last summer when we lost our golden retriever. I actually found work to be a great distraction. Having said that, I won't take shots at people who need some time off. A few days seems reasonable to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 12:24 PM   #4255
Big Erned Nevergivn
Farm Team Player

Exp:

To some people dogs are a member of their family, to others they are a just a pet. Also different people grieve differently, some might need/want the distraction of work, other may not be able to be effective or be around other people. Can't paint with a wide brush here.

An employer does not "need" to give you paid time off, but that doesn't mean they won't or shouldn't. Also if you "can't imagine asking to take time off" then I would say you likely work for a terrible employer or a garbage leader... but that's just one idiot's opinion (mine).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Big Erned Nevergivn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 12:34 PM   #4256
MonaTone
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I took a week off when my dog passed last spring, I guess I was lucky because my company didn't question it.

Judging people for taking the time they need to get right when personal tragedy happens is a pretty dbag thing to do. Your work wont think twice when they decide they don't need you anymore, your the only advocate for you to take what you need to be happy and healthy.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MonaTone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 01:18 PM   #4257
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also don't know the circumstances of the death either.

I've had dogs get old and you've been expecting their death for a while, and when they finally go you can take comfort in that they are no longer dealing with some of the pain related to their advanced age any more. I've gone to work the next day.

But I've also seen my little buddy run out from a gate accidentally left open and get run over by a truck as they attempted to cross the street to see another dog walking by. That was a traumatic end and I certainly wasn't ready to work the next day.

Long story short, Spector is an idiot.
The Following User Says Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 01:34 PM   #4258
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
first time I'm actively cheering for Johnny since he was a Flame

light em up my boy
Old 01-25-2023, 01:38 PM   #4259
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
His kitty died.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:39 PM   #4260
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
first time I'm actively cheering for Johnny since he was a Flame

light em up my boy

I'll be singing "Go Johnny Go"...
Closed Thread

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , no good no good , no good no good no good , not f***ing good enough