Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2022, 03:11 PM   #21
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
? The right hand dial seems to be a microphone gain dial. I'm a little unclear what you're referring to.
Ah crap you're right. I thought it was basically different EQ settings.

Well, my take away is that both the jds and the Astro will be good for PC gaming. As a result, I'll probably just wait a bit and get both the JDS atom dac and amp. Although I could get the amp first and as calumniate said, it'll last forever and as mentioned, I could plug external speakers into it if I so desire.

Again, thanks for the all the info and suggestions everyone has added to this thread.
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 05:00 PM   #22
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'd need a speaker amp for that

But you could run powered speakers through your dac. Sorry it's so complicated!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2022, 09:07 PM   #23
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
You'd need a speaker amp for that

But you could run powered speakers through your dac. Sorry it's so complicated!
Ah I misunderstood. It is definitely not a simple thing as getting a soundcard with full duplex like back in the day haha. That's why i really appreciate all the input in this thread from everyone.
Old 04-03-2022, 11:39 AM   #24
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Realised the jds are American prices.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09HBJ1WK6/...6MPVP70PX8MHAF
This would have a dac and amp all in one.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07WT7TYWY/...HHKKCS2NB5X0QJ

What I have. Also an amp and dac in one. Price went up though due to a fire at their plant and chip shortages.

Check out some reviews on these! They might help inform you more too. There's always return policy on these
Old 04-03-2022, 02:39 PM   #25
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've seen the FiiO one mentioned in a few places and have definitely been interested in it for sure. I'll look into the Topping, but even with the conversion to USD, the JDS's are only $20ish more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Igotnothing For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2022, 01:27 PM   #26
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnothing View Post
I've seen the FiiO one mentioned in a few places and have definitely been interested in it for sure. I'll look into the Topping, but even with the conversion to USD, the JDS's are only $20ish more.
Good luck deciding! I ended up looking at the topping but apparently it might be a little 'bright' sounding and not a terrible amount of power. No issues with either with the k5 Pro (at least to me). Very lush / warm sounding.. and tons of power
Old 04-06-2022, 10:57 AM   #27
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnothing View Post
GranteedEV, thanks for the breakdown in more laymans terms. What you said had been percolating and making sense but this further helped me understand. Thanks for taking the time to write that up.

I have noticed the sound coming out of the onboard is pretty solid. However, I don't have any volume control and I need a cable extension. Also, I like getting tech for the sake of tech so I'll likely ditch the onboard for one of the options discussed in this thread so far.

So I guess my final question is regarding the JDS's. I really like the look of those and they seem like they are what I'm looking for. Not buckwild expensive but still very serviceable. I don't think I have sensitive enough ears that I'd really notice the difference between the Atom's and something 2 or 3 times more expensive. But when I look at the Astro Gaming mixamp it seems to have 'settings' that the JDS's lack on it's right hand dial. While I get the overall gist of what you're saying I don't have enough knowledge of the finer details to fully understand them.

Basically, I want the JDS's and I'm looking for an excuse to get them, but would still be happy with the Astro amp.
For some of the sound, it also depends on the volume you like listening to stuff at. If you listen louder, you might notice more than if you prefer listening quieter. That being said, your DT990 would likely sit on the "lower volume" end of the spectrum rather than something that is easily powered to the point you hear all sorts of problematic sounds.

The Astro gaming amp is a weird situation. It has the ability to control the headphones with the left dial and the mic with the right dial if there is a mic built in. However, even with the absence of a mic, some audio sounds are affected and filtered out if you play with the mic dial. The equalizer settings are the buttons in the middle. The headphone button also does this weird surround sound sort of thing. I occasionally tinker with it because sometimes it's just completely bizarre sound and really bad and other times it creates a cool 8D music type effect that's kinda neat. I grew up playing the violin in an orchestra and also played in school band, so I'm very capable of picking out/am sensitive to sounds in terms of accuracy, sound stage etc. But I'm cool without those levels of reproduction accuracy.

If you want, I can test playing with the mic dial with the DT990 plugged into my A40 to see what the effects are with a headphone with no mic. I don't recall what happens with the sound exactly, but I do recall there was a specific "balancing" I would have to do on the dial. IIRC with the HD555 I currently have plugged into them, layers of the sound are stripped away until certain frequencies are muted. Let me know what you'd like me to test and I'll give it a try when I get a chance in the next few days.

This is why I said it was confusing. You basically almost have to break down the pros and cons of each individual unit via:

- DAC features/how it is powered
- Pre-amp features/performance
- Power amp features/performance
- Other features (ie: Gaming mic, portable amp, EQ etc.)

... and then seemingly aggregate a score. There are pros and cons for a gaming amp for gaming/music and pros and cons for a dedicated JDS styled amp for gaming/music.

Pre amp and power amp are also a bit difficult to differentiate at times, especially when looking at tech specs. It's almost like constantly having to figuring out the combination of bus speed vs raw processing power in a computer processor chip. It's not super straight forward and kinda confusing.

Then if you have the ability to play with an EQ, it creates a sort of safety net in the sense you the ability to play with sound profiles in completely different ways that might be more preferable to you.

This is kinda what happened to me when I went down the rabbit hole.

The JDS/Schiit were a good base line and I kinda concluded for your gaming and music at the computer, it should be very good. Portability wise, not applicable. I think this stuff is also more niche, so if you didn't want it any more, you'd take a huge discount selling this if you upgraded or whatever.

Then I got to the Astro mixing amp. For gaming it should still be very good to excellent purely based on the base amp and EQ + pseudo surround sound. This would be more interesting to experiment with for movies and gaming, but might be a mixed bag with music. Additionally, with the potential flexibility to easily nab a lower resistance gaming headset with a built in mic for $100-250 ish for premium (ie: Sennheiser, ATH, JBL etc. depending on sales) and like $50-80 for pretty good (ie: Astro, Turtle beach, gaming brand, used etc.), it could borderline excellent+ in ways none of the other base products could come close to if you wanted the ability to use a mic. Heck, mic feature can also bridge into improving video calls in general and not only to clearly scream your point across to some kid on the other side. Again, no portability, but this type of amp seems to be the most specialized of all of them. Worst case scenario, I think you'd have a wider audience to sell it to for near the cost you purchased it at. I nabbed an A40 AMP plus headphones for less than $100 many years ago and I think $120 regular price. The amp and headphone combos easily go for over $300 regular price now, $250 on sale. This is probably the only amp that would retain its value or seemingly be guaranteed to get a bit of love (audiophile or not) if you were to sell or gift it to someone younger. I'm pretty sure this wasn't a consideration of yours (exit/upgrade plan) and I don't know if you suddenly might think that you want it to be, especially if you buy the whole kit for $250 and leave the headset pristine for the next buyer.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...p=seo-13490095

Review Astro A40:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/re...ixamp-pro-2019

Review Turtle beach:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/re...pro-2-superamp
https://www.gamestop.ca/Xbox%20One/Games/752789

Things seemed interesting, but then I got to the Sennheiser gaming amp, and somehow unlike the Astro amp it just felt like I went full circle and it just started look like performance wise to the JDS/Schiit amps it was only on par. But it also felt like the cost on the full circle kept accumulating so you were paying up to 2x more than the JDS/Schiit amps for near the same performance. It felt like a gimmick. I don't know if it's because I was mistaken on the performance on that Sennheiser gaming amp or if I was mistaken on its capabilities vs something like the higher end Fiio amps... but it suddenly felt like I was completely in the wrong range for a product to suggest to you. It was so weird to go from the $180 amp and feeling like it was a solid suggestion to a $300 gaming amp and feeling like a snake oil salesman. That was strangely bizarre to me.

It kinda felt like you were asking for a car and the JDS/Schiit was a fully loaded sedan (Accord) that would work great for you to replace your portable thingy (like a subcompact EV or something). But then the Astro felt like a fully loaded van/truck that might work miles better for your specific needs... and then the Sennheiser felt like falling off the map by suggesting an overpriced convertible you had no use for or something... It was truly weird.

Good luck with your decision. I can understand your confusion. I thought I was clarifying the issue (for myself) and then I suddenly ended up right back at square one.

Last edited by DoubleF; 04-06-2022 at 11:10 AM.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 07:45 PM   #28
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just wanted to say I've read the last two posts here. I'm still debating between the Astro and the JDS's, in part because I have a PS5 and the astro would be cool to use on that. But realistically, am I going to unplug everything and swap it? Probably not, which brings me back to the JDS's.

I see what you're saying regarding resale value of the JDS's but i'm not too concerned with that, and while they aren't cheap, it's not like i'm dropping $1000. At worst, I'm sure I could use them to listen to music while working or something and pick up the Astro amp instead.

I have a Yeti X mic that I picked up with the knowledge I would eventually want to get a non micced set of headphones for gaming. The 990's and Yeti replaced a decent set of Logitech Pro's or maybe it was the Pro X, I forget, and those have become my headset for Teams.

Once again, I appreciate all the input here. I'm still leaning JDS dac and amp but the Astro is sitting in the back of my head. Although, my gaming time is limited to the idea of having to fiddle with the astro to get it to sound right isn't appealing. I much prefer the idea of just sitting down, switching everything on and going. We'll see I guess.

Oh, no need to do the testing you were referring to, that was the reason i mentioned the yeti earlier I just realized and coudln't be bothered going back to edit everything into some semblance of sense.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:24 PM   #29
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Does anyone have a suggestion for an amp that I can use with a turn table and some bookshelf speakers, with the option of using headphones?
Old 04-14-2022, 11:04 PM   #30
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion for an amp that I can use with a turn table and some bookshelf speakers, with the option of using headphones?
Sorry, I'm not sure this is helpful.... But I inexplicably can't stop thinking that an inexpensive receiver might go well with your set up.

Moukey Bluetooth 5.0 Stereo Amplifier - Home Audio Power Amplifier, 220W Dual Channel Wireless Sound Audio Stereo Receiver System w/ USB, SD, AUX, MIC IN w/ Echo, Radio, LED - for Home Theater Entertainment via RCA, Studio Use MAMP1 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08H4R221Z/...HJQF1PT00S4EMP

It just seems like you might be able to make use of the potential additional inputs and output options.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:33 PM   #31
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

JDS amp and dac arrived a couple of days ago . Didn't count on needing RCA cables, ended up having to use component cables of all things, in the mean time, but did order some short ones from Amazon. In retrospect I would have added the JDS RCA cables to my order as they are malleable and extremely short, which works for stacking these on top of each other.

The amp definitely provides a lot more power then my PC was. I noticed powered just by the onboard soundcard it didn't get very loud at all. Also, having a physical knob to quickly and easily use to adjust the volume is much easier than having to use the Windows volume control, obviously, but still worth noting. The amp and dac are close to, which help as the cable is a bit on the short side although it does have a lot of coil, but then you're getting that pulling when you stretch it.

I do hear things I wasn't before but I also think my hearing isn't great and i'm likely not taking full advantage of what I've got. Still, I'm really happy with this set up and scared that it opens up the possibility of being able to buy more headphones that will be easy to power haha. Also, for no good reason, I can foresee a desire to buy a better amp and or dac, just because.

Thanks again for all the advice leading up to this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Igotnothing For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 04:32 PM   #32
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

So Moondrop and Fiio are releasing keyboards with DAC/Amps built it. Moondrop makes great earphones and Fiio makes great Amps but neither have made keyboards before.

This could be a great way to tidy up your desktop but if something breaks you need to replace two things instead of one.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM   #33
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Bit of a resurrection here.

Over the holidays I treated myself and bought the Sound Blaster X4 online for $200.

In comparison to the JDS labs stuff, I prefer the Sound Blaster stuff, which I didn't entirely expect. I haven't really delved to hard into the setting inside it but I do like that there is a footsteps mode and while playing Tarkov I've definitely noticed I'm able to pick up footsteps better. I assume it's just EQ settings, but with the JDS stuff I coudln't find an EQ to adjust. That's part of the reason I took the plunge on the X4, the other part, is that I think the X4 is just a bit sleeker looking. I like the way it looks on my desktop more.

Looking back over this thread, I want to say again I appreciated everyones input.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igotnothing For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2024, 08:45 AM   #34
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most people with amps / dacs use third party software for equalization, like equalizer APO.
https://equalizerapo.com/
The user interface isn't great but you can download config files that have been set up for various headphones.. just have to google them

Am surprised the x4 does so well, but if it suits your needs i'm sure it's great
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2024, 08:53 AM   #35
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I have an X3 and I hated it until recently. The software in Windows 10 were terrible. They'd constantly crash. It'd suddenly revert to some profile with 3D enabled or some such and I'd have to go into the software to switch it again (well go into the software twice, the first time going into it it always crashed). Terrible.

After updating to Windows 11 it is more stable, at least I haven't had to constantly switch the settings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2024, 06:28 PM   #36
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Most people with amps / dacs use third party software for equalization, like equalizer APO.
https://equalizerapo.com/
The user interface isn't great but you can download config files that have been set up for various headphones.. just have to google them

Am surprised the x4 does so well, but if it suits your needs i'm sure it's great
Well I suppose I should have asked back when i ran into the issue. So far the biggest downside to the X4 is the myriad of different apps and stuff they want you to get. I suppose it's nice to have more features rather than less, but much of the extras I'll never use and they just clutter up the software.

Photon, I guess I've been lucky, no issue with the profiles reverting of anything of that nature, on Windows 10.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:39 PM   #37
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

It's crazy expensive and I don't need 90% of what it can do but boy do I want a Fiio R9.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote