Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2023, 05:10 PM   #10401
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

What I'm wondering is if anyone actually doesn't think for one second that the US is not manipulating the hell out of Ukraine right now to get what they want?

It is the ultimate proxy war.

And not saying I don't support Ukraine in this fight, I do. But I feel at some point Ukraine might want to negotiate a deal, and the US won't let them.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 05:18 PM   #10402
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

I completely understand where it's coming from, but could we refrain from using language like "Orcs" and "Ivans"?

I am profoundly on the side of Ukraine and wish that the US, Canada, and our NATO allies would start saying things like "We're going to support as long as it takes to win" and to define winning as a full return to the borders established in 1992.

The language of war: Ivan, Jerry, Tommy, Charlie, etc. is specifically for the purpose of dehumanizing the enemy to make it easier for soldiers to kill when they need to. It strips away any kind of individual identity and replaces it with a bland group moniker. "Orc" is particuarly strong as it completely obliterates the humanity of the person onto whom it is placed.

I do not want to 'both sides' this war. The Russians a clearly wrong and need to be defeated. However, even if they are evil, they are not inhuman, and us sitting in our living rooms thousands of miles away don't need to dehumanize them. If a soldier feels the need to use this language in order to psychologically handle the situation in which they find themselves, sure. But on a hockey forum? It's kinda gross. I'd probaby not object to Huntingwhale or Pointman using languge like that, but I don't think any of the rest of us have that level of direct engagement with this conflict, regardless of how much of our day and media diet is engaged with consuming it.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 05:44 PM   #10403
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, I've seen a lot of videos that show what Russian soldiers are doing is pretty inhuman. I think they've rightfully earned those titles.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 05:54 PM   #10404
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ukrainians on twitter call them katsaps, which roughly translates to butchers.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 06:33 PM   #10405
Southside403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I dunno, I've seen a lot of videos that show what Russian soldiers are doing is pretty inhuman. I think they've rightfully earned those titles.
War is horrible lots of proxy wars all over world.look what the Israelis do every day to the Palestinians worse then apartheid
Southside403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:50 PM   #10406
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russian strategic aviation currently launching cruise missiles and shahed drones and we’re debating the terminology used to describe such people.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 06:59 PM   #10407
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1633548066753249280

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 07:10 PM   #10408
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Rules-based order, nothing to see here
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 07:55 PM   #10409
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
I completely understand where it's coming from, but could we refrain from using language like "Orcs" and "Ivans"?

I am profoundly on the side of Ukraine and wish that the US, Canada, and our NATO allies would start saying things like "We're going to support as long as it takes to win" and to define winning as a full return to the borders established in 1992.

The language of war: Ivan, Jerry, Tommy, Charlie, etc. is specifically for the purpose of dehumanizing the enemy to make it easier for soldiers to kill when they need to. It strips away any kind of individual identity and replaces it with a bland group moniker. "Orc" is particuarly strong as it completely obliterates the humanity of the person onto whom it is placed.

I do not want to 'both sides' this war. The Russians a clearly wrong and need to be defeated. However, even if they are evil, they are not inhuman, and us sitting in our living rooms thousands of miles away don't need to dehumanize them. If a soldier feels the need to use this language in order to psychologically handle the situation in which they find themselves, sure. But on a hockey forum? It's kinda gross. I'd probaby not object to Huntingwhale or Pointman using languge like that, but I don't think any of the rest of us have that level of direct engagement with this conflict, regardless of how much of our day and media diet is engaged with consuming it.
I spent a good chunk of my life learning to kill Ivan.

So no.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 07:57 PM   #10410
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sort of issue came up during the ICTY trials and appeals as well. In fact 2 high ranking military officials had their convictions overturned. They were convicted based on artillery records that showed a pretty high rate of civilian targets hit. On appeal, the lawyers successfully argued that they had better accuracy than the British and Americans had in Afghanistan when comparing their records, not even considering population density of the battle zone areas. Rather than open up that can of worms, both had their convictions overturned on appeal.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 03-08-2023 at 08:15 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:05 PM   #10411
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Are you aware of the scale of the missile attacks happening right now? Putin is probably upset his offensive isn't going well in Bakhmut so he's launching a massive missile strike across Ukraine.

What are they if not Orcs?

They will be pariahs on the world stage for 100 years.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 08:31 PM   #10412
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Are you aware of the scale of the missile attacks happening right now? Putin is probably upset his offensive isn't going well in Bakhmut so he's launching a massive missile strike across Ukraine.

What are they if not Orcs?

They will be pariahs on the world stage for 100 years.
I am as aware as most people who aren't in Ukraine of what is happening day-to-day. News about the war makes up a substantial portion of my daily media consumption.

I understand that many might disagree, but I am of the opinion that no act or series of acts renders a person 'inhuman.' I think it is dangerous and dismissive of us to think that way. It is much more important to recgonize that the perpetrators of evil are human, that the capacity for evil exists in each and every one of us at all times.

When we dehumanize the people who commit atrocities, whether it be on the battlefield or in the form of criminal acts, we absolve society of any role, we eliminate pathways of problem solving, we make it easier for people in the future to identify other groups to dehumanize.

I don't expect to find consenus, but I hope there is a majority who agree or could come to agree with this position. There are clearly those who will disagree, like undercoverbrother who has pointed out he spent a significant portion of his life undergoing specific training to allow him to dehumanize his potential enemy as he would have been one of the first sent into battle, should conflict have broken out. Fair enough. If you personally feel that certain actions disqualify someone from inclusion in the human race, I understand, but I disagree.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 11:01 PM   #10413
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

They deserve to be called far worse.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2023, 05:43 AM   #10414
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I understand that many might disagree, but I am of the opinion that no act or series of acts renders a person 'inhuman.' I think it is dangerous and dismissive of us to think that way. It is much more important to recgonize that the perpetrators of evil are human, that the capacity for evil exists in each and every one of us at all times.
I can't speak for everyone but I can tell you I would never under any circumstance shoot an unarmed person nor would I ever rape a woman/child, as a pilot I would never drop a bomb on a school or a hospital for pregnant women either, nor would I fire a missile into a civilian apartment building, my bombs/missiles would miss those marks. I would rather put a bullet in my own head than to live life tortured with those memory's.

Like god, evil is imaginary but there are people that act "inhuman", most of these wired wrong people are in jails around the world, dead or should be dead.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 07:01 AM   #10415
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure the reason people are calling them those things is precisely because they are human. If they weren't, people wouldn't hold them morally blameworthy or consider these actions worthy of so much antipathy.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2023, 08:22 AM   #10416
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I can't speak for everyone but I can tell you I would never under any circumstance shoot an unarmed person nor would I ever rape a woman/child, as a pilot I would never drop a bomb on a school or a hospital for pregnant women either, nor would I fire a missile into a civilian apartment building, my bombs/missiles would miss those marks. I would rather put a bullet in my own head than to live life tortured with those memory's.

Like god, evil is imaginary but there are people that act "inhuman", most of these wired wrong people are in jails around the world, dead or should be dead.
Isn't it clear at this point that Russia isn't exactly picking the cream of the crop to go to the front line?

I mean I agree with you, and I'd like to think that I wouldn't do any of that stuff either, but I actually grew up in a society where there were some ethics and morality, but I'd imagine a lot of the people Russia is sending into the meat grinder have no regard for any of that.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:40 AM   #10417
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Isn't it clear at this point that Russia isn't exactly picking the cream of the crop to go to the front line?

I mean I agree with you, and I'd like to think that I wouldn't do any of that stuff either, but I actually grew up in a society where there were some ethics and morality, but I'd imagine a lot of the people Russia is sending into the meat grinder have no regard for any of that.
Thus why I have no issue with calling them orcs or ivans, they're not wired the same as most normal humans around the world. There is some very deep rot in Russian society that allows so many of their men to behave like soulless psychopaths. The optimal scenario in my mind is that this war bankrupts Russia so hard that it collapses as a single entity, and the countries that emerge post-breakup look towards the west to rebuild their economies much like many of the post-USSR countries did. Maybe then their boys and young men will start growing up with empathy and compassion
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:46 AM   #10418
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am as aware as most people who aren't in Ukraine of what is happening day-to-day. News about the war makes up a substantial portion of my daily media consumption.

When we dehumanize the people who commit atrocities, whether it be on the battlefield or in the form of criminal acts, we absolve society of any role, we eliminate pathways of problem solving, we make it easier for people in the future to identify other groups to dehumanize.

I don't expect to find consenus, but I hope there is a majority who agree or could come to agree with this position. There are clearly those who will disagree, like undercoverbrother who has pointed out he spent a significant portion of his life undergoing specific training to allow him to dehumanize his potential enemy as he would have been one of the first sent into battle, should conflict have broken out. Fair enough. If you personally feel that certain actions disqualify someone from inclusion in the human race, I understand, but I disagree.
OK I guess. They are humans. I don't think anyone is under a delusion that Russians are not homo sapiens.

Should we launch an awareness campaign to get people to stop calling Putin a monster or a war monger or a criminal or a piece of #### and start calling him "Brother Putin" because he is indeed human and we don't want people to accidentally think otherwise?

Gimme a break bud.

I have all the respect in the world for Russians who oppose this war. But the bootlickers who support it are scum.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:51 AM   #10419
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of the Ukrainians I know call them Orcs. It's their land being invaded, raped, pillaged and citizens kidnapped. They are the ones fighting to win, as option B is the genocide of their people. Therefore, if they want to call them Orcs, they are Orcs.

I can appreciate what driveway is saying though, as it's a fine line at times with the name calling and remembering that these perps are also human beings like the rest of us. It's important to remember all the atrocities of the past and it was ALL perpetuated by humans, not mystical magical creatures. At the same time, we see just how savage, brutal, murderous and straight up evil the russians are. It's human nature to react negatively to see something evil and assigning names or labels is part of that.

The time for going over all the aspects of humanizing/dehumanizing can be done after the war is done. Right now, if a UA gunner needs to label a group of russians he's about to mow down with a machine gun or a drone attack as orcs to make it easier to pull the trigger, then have at it; they be Orcs.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2023, 09:17 AM   #10420
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many Pointmans are there that didn't make it out, and how many wives and kids of Pointmans that didn't make it out?

Maybe instead of 'orc' or 'Ivan' people should be calling them 'Pointman' when laughing/cheering at a drone video of someone being blown up.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks