Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2022, 10:47 AM   #61
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I look forward to hearing your review...I'm still a bit on the fence.

Honestly with Switch, PS5, and Series X I already don't have enough time to play all the games I'd like.

And this would just become another ecosystem to buy games on (don't have much of a steam catalog now).

Feel like it would likely become just a portable emulator / PC Gamepass machine for me if I got it.
That's exactly why I want one, but why I'm not in any hurry
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 12:11 PM   #62
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me it's going to be entirely for platformers, indie games and old-school RPGs. Which works out, because that's the only way the thing will get decent battery life.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 12:50 PM   #63
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fedex just dropped it off!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2022, 01:00 PM   #64
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Fedex just dropped it off!
Congrats, I'm still in the after Q2 group. Look forward to your impressions.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:02 PM   #65
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup Chemgear's impressions will probably have a big factor on if I keep or abandon my pre-order.

No pressure lol
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:42 PM   #66
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Just don't play Destiny 2 on it or they'll ban you. https://help.bungie.net/hc/en-us/art...-2-Steam-Guide
Old 03-02-2022, 03:27 PM   #67
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliche For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2022, 05:21 PM   #68
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yup Chemgear's impressions will probably have a big factor on if I keep or abandon my pre-order.

No pressure lol
Oh dear. That's not a good idea lol.

Just stopped work for a bit to slap a screen protector on it and am downloading an update. It's a nicely polished kit. Opening the package isn't super fancy like say something from Apple. But feels really nice in hand already, certainly more comfortable that the Switch without a grip.

The fan is already noticeable, but might be fine when game audio is running. We'll see.

I have a 1 TB micro SD to fill up. I'll be gone for a while . . .
Old 03-02-2022, 08:11 PM   #69
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The UI interface isn't as bad as I thought it might be and it works well enough. I probably won't be messing with emulation or anything for the next while.

####, I can't believe I can easily play Civilization and XCOM 2 sitting on the can now.

Having some initial trouble getting used to the "mouse" touch pad and clicking exactly where I want to - but that's a me thing until I get used to it.

Speakers are waaaay better than I expected them to be too. The 1 TB card works well too, just gotta format it and off I got. Gonna be downloading a crapton of stuff on this overnight.

If you have a massive backlog of steam games, it's a massive plus in this instance!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2022, 08:14 PM   #70
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I can totally see what Steam is doing here. My steam library is something ridiculous like 2000 games but my mind is already thinking about the next Steam Sale what I should be picking up next.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:20 PM   #71
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

####, I can't believe I can easily play Civilization and XCOM 2 sitting on the can now.
I have both of those on my iPad Pro and they work great. It's a great platform for strategy games. I'll probably get a Steam Deck eventually but I'd be happier if more games got ported to iPadOS.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2022, 08:43 PM   #72
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I have both of those on my iPad Pro and they work great. It's a great platform for strategy games. I'll probably get a Steam Deck eventually but I'd be happier if more games got ported to iPadOS.
I think I have them both as well but never got into as much there. The larger screen is nice but I think it'll be nice to have buttons/dpad/touch pad options for a lot of games. Steam mod support too.

And now I'm just flipping through and downloading a ton of games on this thing like it's Christmas lol.

Game text is definitely bad news though unless they optimize it for this deck. Screen is still relatively small for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2022, 06:51 AM   #73
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you post your steam library? Depending on what you play I'd like to make a couple requests for info about certain games / types of games.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-03-2022, 08:59 AM   #74
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sent you a PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:00 AM   #75
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Having some initial trouble getting used to the "mouse" touch pad and clicking exactly where I want to - but that's a me thing until I get used to it.
Is it similar to the Steam controller? I have the Steam controller and don't really use it for much other than Civ and XCOM but I I love it for those two games. Oh and Disco Elysium.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 11:22 AM   #76
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Is it similar to the Steam controller? I have the Steam controller and don't really use it for much other than Civ and XCOM but I I love it for those two games. Oh and Disco Elysium.
Yeah, also sorta like the circular thumbpad on the VIVE controllers. I'm getting used to them now more certainly.

Replaying Dead Cells from scratch as all my progression had been on the Switch so far. But the performance toggle overlay is pretty darn nice. Totally transparent with multiple overlays for CPU/GPU/fps usage with options to change brightness, haptics, GPU clocks, limits, etc. Battery isn't going to last as long as you might like but you can definitely toggle it. I've been mostly playing it plugged in the top to power as I'll stop and let it keep going away at a very large download queue when I wasn't playing.

Last edited by chemgear; 03-03-2022 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-03-2022, 04:51 PM   #77
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starts at 27:00

Old 03-06-2022, 07:53 PM   #78
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Darn I want one.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2022, 12:10 PM   #79
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the second set of shipping emails has gone out, so you may be getting closer? Still nothing for me, but I wasn't expecting one.
Old 03-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #80
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp: