Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2022, 11:36 AM   #1741
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Do Square Enix games sell to the younger generations of gamers? My teenage boys have no idea what Final Fantasy is nor are they into that type of game. I just feel those games cater to an aging fan base. I don't see them as system sellers in North America today.
Guardians of the Galaxy was really good.

Final Fantasy and Dragons Quest still have their markets.

As Cube said it would be tough because they support the Switch a lot which is still big in Japan.

I feel like if Sony were to buy Square Enix they would almost need to make a PSP 3 (which would be great and IMO they should doing anyways)

The bigger question IMO would be what's next for Microsoft...you'd have to think that EA might be on the cards as they already have a relationship with Gamepass. What's another $50B for Microsoft to go buy EA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_publisher

Also kind of crazy that Microsoft was number 4 here, and they bought number 6, and they still wouldn't have as much revenue as Sony in terms of publishing revenue.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-18-2022 at 11:40 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:59 AM   #1742
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

How long til Nintendo gets gobbled up--or do they? Never would I have guessed Activision would be on the other end, but here we are.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:01 AM   #1743
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
How long til Nintendo gets gobbled up--or do they? Never would I have guessed Activision would be on the other end, but here we are.
Nintendo seems so different from the rest of them.

Would that be a Sony acquisition?
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:09 AM   #1744
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I remember reading that Microsoft tried that back in the day were laughed out of the room.

https://www.engadget.com/microsoft-w...145746874.html
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:29 AM   #1745
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Will they eventually try and make something like CoD Xbox exclusive?

That's a lot of sales to lose but there's a lot of people that would buy an Xbox to play CoD.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:26 AM   #1746
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hardware makers is a whole different game - If Switch had bombed like the Wii U then it might be a conversation. But with Switch being a runaway success (the market leader, in fact) and Nintendo IP being more popular than ever, I would say it's extremely unlikely. Don't forget with Activision that, despite good sales numbers, that organization is a mess of controversy right now and investors are not happy at all.

Even then, I don't think there's a situation where Nintendo or Sony would even want to be outright purchased -- even if their hardware sales dried up, both have so much valuable IP and talented developers they would be extremely successful as independent third parties.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:36 AM   #1747
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Hardware makers is a whole different game - If Switch had bombed like the Wii U then it might be a conversation. But with Switch being a runaway success (the market leader, in fact) and Nintendo IP being more popular than ever, I would say it's extremely unlikely. Don't forget with Activision that, despite good sales numbers, that organization is a mess of controversy right now and investors are not happy at all.

Even then, I don't think there's a situation where Nintendo or Sony would even want to be outright purchased -- even if their hardware sales dried up, both have so much valuable IP and talented developers they would be extremely successful as independent third parties.
Plus when was the last time a Japanese company was bought by a US one? I don't think Nintendo would ever sell for simple pride alone
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:52 PM   #1748
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Microsoft Deal Wipes $20 Billion Off Sony's Market Value in a Day

Holy smokes. Ouch!

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/sony-drops...001506944.html
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:58 AM   #1749
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, gimmie my Steamdeck. Is Q1 done yet?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1484010884292698116

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/c..._in_action_on/
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 03:39 PM   #1750
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

360 was kicking PS3's ass so Sony started giving away monthly games, Xbox had to match
PS4 was kicking Xbox One's ass so Microsoft created gamepass

I see a lot of high fiving over a company just buying studios (not putting money into their own studios) Lack of competition is a bad thing for the consumer no matter what piece of plastic you have

Sony will probably focus on square/japan their own studios now...not a win for gamers either way

I would lock in cheap memberships while you can for as long as you can

Last edited by dino7c; 01-20-2022 at 03:42 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 03:43 PM   #1751
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
curious to see how well it runs
Old 01-20-2022, 04:17 PM   #1752
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
360 was kicking PS3's ass so Sony started giving away monthly games, Xbox had to match

I see a lot of high fiving over a company just buying studios (not putting money into their own studios) Lack of competition is a bad thing for the consumer no matter what piece of plastic you have

Sony will probably focus on square/japan their own studios now...not a win for gamers either way

I don't see how this reduces competition between Sony, MS and Nintendo.

Sony's big draw has always been the home grown studio exclusives, third person story driven games and Square/Japan.

Microsoft always was more of the multi-plat, FPS place to play in the console space.

Nintendo is the home of family centered, child friendly excellent games.

Perhaps with this acquisition, we see Blizzard release a new StarCraft game after Diablo 4 ships? or Activision come out with a new Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, Marvel Ultimate Alliance?

There are a lot of interesting opportunities that can come from this. I am cautiously optimistic that this will be a good thing for gamers moving forward not because it creates lack of competition but because it could breathe life into studios that have been killing themselves from the inside out and have been lacking recently.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:58 PM   #1753
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Yeah, I don't understand how people can watch the last decade of media mergers and conclude that less variety is a good thing.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 06:58 AM   #1754
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, I don't understand how people can watch the last decade of media mergers and conclude that less variety is a good thing.
There isn't less variety though. The games aren't going anywhere. At the very least they will be released on Xbox and PC. Sony fans for years have been trumpeting PlayStation exclusives as their big advantage and the moment Microsoft makes some moves to secure some top studios they start crying that exclusivity is bad. I personally believe exclusivity isn't a great thing but to me it seems like Microsoft has shifted their focus from hardware to software as they feel Game Pass is the future and they want to succeed off content and not hardware. I feel that one way or another, some games from these studios will be available to play on other platforms.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 09:18 AM   #1755
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There isn't less variety though. The games aren't going anywhere. At the very least they will be released on Xbox and PC. Sony fans for years have been trumpeting PlayStation exclusives as their big advantage and the moment Microsoft makes some moves to secure some top studios they start crying that exclusivity is bad. I personally believe exclusivity isn't a great thing but to me it seems like Microsoft has shifted their focus from hardware to software as they feel Game Pass is the future and they want to succeed off content and not hardware. I feel that one way or another, some games from these studios will be available to play on other platforms.
I agree 100% with everything you have said, the bolded caught my eye after watching the XBOX doc.

Microsoft never wanted to be a hardware company, before the XBOX came out Bill Gates was asked about making hardware and he said they didn't want to do it. So it is just MS moving back to their roots but in the gaming sector.

As of now, it looks like CoD will be remain on PS for the foreseeable future until all pre-existing contracts have expired. Then I assume Warzone will remain multi-plat, with main CoD games eventually becoming exclusive. As for Blizzard games, I fully assume those games will be PC/XBOX exclusive.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:32 AM   #1756
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Microsoft wants to be the Netflix of Gaming.

They will produce hardware because customers will always want to be able to buy a console to play the games on.

But with Gamepass and XCloud they aren't going to be as worried about hardware.

Subscription service revenue is what Microsoft wants here.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:42 AM   #1757
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

They will produce hardware because customers will always want to be able to buy a console to play the games on.

They also want King Digital Entertainment so they can make money in the mobile space, I think this is an overlooked part of the acquisition as well. King games are on far more peoples phones then either Activision or Blizzard's games on peoples PC/PSX/XBOX.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:53 AM   #1758
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

It's wrong to compare Microsoft to Disney and worrying about lack of competition in games. Movies\TV are a very different beast with a much higher barrier of entry than games, hell Hades was the overwhelming GOTY a couple of years ago with only a handful of people behind it. Either Microsoft helps fix Activision's issues and they release good games, or the good developers leave (whatever are left) to join different studios. The cycle of small studio making great indie games, growing enough to release bigger budget games, getting bought by one of the big players, then devs leaving to form another small studio has been ongoing for decades, I don't see how this changes anything
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 11:33 AM   #1759
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

I'm pretty impressed with Cloud Gaming. I was wasting some time after work yesterday and saw that DIRT 5 was on Game Pass. It was a pretty huge install and I didn't have a ton of time to wait around for it (Gigabit internet connection or not), but I noticed it had a cloud gaming option, so what the hell.

For something like a racing game where you know that split-second reactions are the difference between making a corner and drifting into a wall, I was blown away how well the game played. Caveats: I have a really fast home connection, and high-end home wireless network, and I didn't have quite as good an experience using my laptop to play Forza Horizon 5 on Cloud Gaming over a crappier wireless network elsewhere. But if you've got the support of a good network behind you, damn, some pretty great results can be had.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:48 AM   #1760
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
For something like a racing game where you know that split-second reactions are the difference between making a corner and drifting into a wall, I was blown away how well the game played. Caveats: I have a really fast home connection, and high-end home wireless network, and I didn't have quite as good an experience using my laptop to play Forza Horizon 5 on Cloud Gaming over a crappier wireless network elsewhere. But if you've got the support of a good network behind you, damn, some pretty great results can be had.
On a related note, I saw that the Kingdom Hearts games are coming to the Switch through some kind of cloud gaming service. I'm extremely skeptical it will be good on the Switch but who knows?
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote