Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #221
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't a huge fan of the new Halloween. It was well made and you could tell Green tried to craft it through Carpenter' vision. The production values were definitely superior to most slasher movies... but other than that I didn't think the script worked for me.

I didn't like the change in the relationship Myers has with Laurie. Sort of a spoiler, so I won't delve into it too much. To me the twist makes the franchise unique, not just your generic movie monster movie. To change the lore of the characters after all these years was a real turn off for me.

Also many characters act like complete idiots in the movie, and the random bits of comedy didn't work for me. People are being stalked/murdered and yet they're cracking jokes at the same time? Jamie Lee Curtis was great as was Myers, but didn't care for any of the other characters.

Why they couldn't use H-20 as part of this new series is beyond me. They could have just made a direct sequel to that with Hartnett as her son; just forget the Busta Rhymes Resurrection nonsense. Keep the rest!
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #222
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
First Man is incredible. The way it shoots the flying scenes focused on the insides of the craft is jarring. It feels claustrophobic, loud and scary. The acting is excellent and the supporting cast feels like they came straight out of the 60’s.

Just a superb job of creating a sense of time and place for the movie. Well worth seeing.
Please see on IMAX! The lunar sequences are amazing!
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #223
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post

Why they couldn't use H-20 as part of this new series is beyond me. They could have just made a direct sequel to that with Hartnett as her son; just forget the Busta Rhymes Resurrection nonsense. Keep the rest!
H20 was decent, but I think this new movie is a superior film and works even better than part 2 (1981) as a direct sequel to the original. So I don't mind that they ignored the other sequels, even though I liked some of them.

For me, the best movies in the series so far are:

Halloween 1978 (duh)
Halloween 2018
2 (1981)
H20

I don't consider Season of the Witch to be part of the franchise, as it's a completely separate story. I do think it's underrated though, and not nearly as bad as some fans make it out to be.

Nor do I consider the Rob Zombie movies as official canon either. His 2007 remake was well done though and he made some interesting story choices that I wasn't expecting. His 2nd film was terrible though.

Halloween Resurrection is a complete abomination and is better left forgotten. 5 and 6 were pretty bad as well.

Last edited by direwolf; 10-23-2018 at 03:02 PM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #224
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember as a kid being all excited to get my hands on a VHS copy of Season of the Witch only to suffer maybe the first WTF moment of my young life after watching it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #225
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had no idea there were so many Halloween movies.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #226
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see Hunter Killer is getting some fairly large promotion. I’m surprised studios keep bankrolling big budget Gerard Butler movies as nearly everything he’s done of late has ended up in the red and lost a lot of money. It’s at 38% on Rotten Tomatoes which is actually higher than I expected. Who’s spending $25+ to watch this guy’s movies?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:47 AM   #227
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I see Hunter Killer is getting some fairly large promotion. I’m surprised studios keep bankrolling big budget Gerard Butler movies as nearly everything he’s done of late has ended up in the red and lost a lot of money. It’s at 38% on Rotten Tomatoes which is actually higher than I expected. Who’s spending $25+ to watch this guy’s movies?
Reminds me of a funny moment on Jimmy Kimmel's "Mean Tweets" when they had Gerard Butler on a couple years ago. It said something like "does Butler have a massive student loan or something? Is that why he makes all these s**t films?"
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:22 PM   #228
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
When I see that kind of heavy promotion warning bells go off in my head. I begin to think it must be a bad movie and they're doing all that to sucker people into paying too see their garbage.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:28 PM   #229
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Mid90s was excellent, highly recommend
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #230
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
Mid90s was excellent, highly recommend
Is it really just Kids lite?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #231
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Is it really just Kids lite?
There’s certainly a lot of similarities
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:44 PM   #232
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

hot take alert.

Smokey and the Bandit is actually boring as ####.

Rewatching it now since it's on Netflix, and eating 8 saltines at once would be less dry than this.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:04 AM   #233
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Another hot take - I watched White Lightning last week. It is the first of Burt's "Gator" movies. Smokey and the Bandit is a funnier, cleaned up version of White Lightning which is a pretty bleak movie. So much of these two shows are the same. He even has the same job, bird doggin' for a moonshine runner who just happens to look a lot like Jerry Reed. Same abusive sheriff, stupid deputies, Hal Needham car stunts, etc.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #234
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Speak ill of Smokey and the Bandit all you like as that film was boring garbage but I’ll be damned if I’ll stand here and let you disparage White Lighting. They killed his brother, SJ! HIS BROTHER. A man simply cannot stand by and let that happen. Gator McClusky was basically disowned by his own folks for working with the feds because they thought he’d give up good, hard working, ‘shining folk. No sir White Lightning is an amazing film and I take umbrage that you’d even compare the two. Umbrage I say.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 10:58 AM   #235
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Hey, I didnt say White Lightning was a bad movie. In fact, I quite enjoyed it. I’m just saying it feels like the template for the Bandit movies. I loved that Ned Beatty was the corrupt southern sheriff.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #236
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I’ll also be damned if I’m going to let a little thing like reading comprehension get in the way of my impotent rage.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #237
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
H20 was decent, but I think this new movie is a superior film and works even better than part 2 (1981) as a direct sequel to the original. So I don't mind that they ignored the other sequels, even though I liked some of them.

For me, the best movies in the series so far are:

Halloween 1978 (duh)
Halloween 2018
2 (1981)
H20

I don't consider Season of the Witch to be part of the franchise, as it's a completely separate story. I do think it's underrated though, and not nearly as bad as some fans make it out to be.

Nor do I consider the Rob Zombie movies as official canon either. His 2007 remake was well done though and he made some interesting story choices that I wasn't expecting. His 2nd film was terrible though.

Halloween Resurrection is a complete abomination and is better left forgotten. 5 and 6 were pretty bad as well.

There's a theory that Halloween 3 was absolutely part of the overall story line and showed how Michael Myers was replaced by a terminator style android, made by the Silver Shamrock novelties company.

Cracked.com summarizes that argument.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/a-strang...loween-series/

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:23 PM   #238
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw Free Solo tonight with friends. My amygdala is splattered everywhere.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 05:42 PM   #239
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Saw Free Solo tonight with friends. My amygdala is splattered everywhere.
Remember El Capitan by Fred Pendula blew my mind as a teen

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #240
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty amazing to see how far climbing has progressed. That hob nail boot pendulum looked fun. Free climbing el cap was still unimaginable when I spent summers there in the 90's. And then Lynn Hill came along. Now Honnold is doing 5.13 moves 2500 feet up with no ropes and topping out in 3 and a half hours. I can't think of another athlete in any sport that progressed the state of the art like him. That movie made my finger tips sweat.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote