Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2023, 08:58 AM   #6161
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
See, that's the thing with this series lol. Even people who like the games are always like "yeahhh but there's this one 60-70 hour game in the series that's kinda bad..."

Like where are you guys finding time to play 60-100 hour games you don't care for? I tried Cold Steel 1 and knew within 5-6 hours it was kind of a dud and just stopped playing it.
I get that it's long, but if you start at the actual beginning (e.g. The Sky Trilogy then the Crossbell Duology) then I think you get a sense of how high the highs can be by the time you begin what is actually rhe sixth game in a series of intertwined games. So you're willing to play something mediocre that sort of exists as a "Avengers Age of Ultron" segue right before things get good again

I think where Cold Steel came short in what little I have played of it is that the series made a shift to 3D graphics instead of sprites and it just visually looked janky. But I won't mind if it's not a great game, because I am already pretty investwd in the overarching plot that has been developed in the first two arcs. If CS2/3/4, Reverie, Black etc are great games then why not?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 01-05-2023 at 09:02 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:16 AM   #6162
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wasn't that I don't care for it, I like JRPGs and it was very much a JRPG, and I'm already invested in the world. The issue with CS1 is that it's a sudden dumbing-down of a lot of what the previous games were - there is less strategy and preparation for combat, because the orbment system is HEAVILY neutered, and there's a lot less interesting stuff about the world and global politics therein, first because it takes place at the same time as a previous game so nothing particularly new happens, and second because they intentionally just didn't include as much of that stuff, I guess to try to give it a broader appeal to younger players and people who don't like reading thousands of words of dialogue and lore (also having a lot of voice acting tends to affect this). So it's a lot more of a standard experience that wouldn't stand out if you weren't already invested in the world.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 01-05-2023 at 09:19 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:42 AM   #6163
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 10:47 AM   #6164
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
You forgot about Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4, which are also easily 100 hours each to complete.
Oh yeah, I knew that too, just forgot to post it. Haha, it's a lot to play, but I'm really enjoying them. I doubt I'll finish them all in 2023.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 03:58 PM   #6165
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

This looks pretty good. Kinda like Slay the Spire and Eye of the Beholder?

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:51 PM   #6166
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished the main story of Ghosts of Tshushima last night.
Really enjoyed it; felt like Red Dead Redemption as a Samurai.

I'm not a big gamer, just trying to play though 1 game at a time with good stories.
Next up is The Last of Us remake, never played it before.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2023, 01:51 AM   #6167
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

About half way through "High on life" really enjoy it as I'm a super fan of Rick and Morty and Solar opposites.
I'm cheating the first play thru as I've got difficulty set to story mode. I really juat want to get thru story . Treating it like a choose your own adventure tv show .

This is not a game for kids or even some adults lol
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:19 AM   #6168
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

This showed up in my YouTube recommendations if you want to relive some of the best cinematics of a generation in 4K.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2023, 12:13 PM   #6169
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Blizzard has always been so good at cinematics, going back to Warcraft II (maybe even the first Warcraft.)
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:31 PM   #6170
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wrapped Horizon: Forbidden West and I’d say that overall it was a bloated mess. Too much going on in the world, none of it is interesting. The main story didn’t really have any meat to it.

I had some fun in it, but at the end it just felt scattered and pretty middling. 5/10.

I feel like Sony’s first party games are at their best when they’re telling well written, focused stories with some exploration components peppered throughout. Forbidden West felt like they decided to make a Far Cry game with all the worst parts of a Far Cry game being the focus.

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-08-2023 at 02:11 PM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 07:51 AM   #6171
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Just wrapped Horizon: Forbidden West and I’d say that overall it was a bloated mess. Too much going on in the world, none of it is interesting. The main story didn’t really have any meat to it.

I had some fun in it, but at the end it just felt scattered and pretty middling. 5/10.

I feel like Sony’s first party games are at their best when they’re telling well written, focused stories with some exploration components peppered throughout. Forbidden West felt like they decided to make a Far Cry game with all the worst parts of a Far Cry game being the focus.
Yep it was a disappointment. I hope they don't bring this one back until they get some fresh ideas for a storyline and some more interesting gameplay.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:23 AM   #6172
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I hate to generalize, but this is how I think I feel about every "open world" game I have ever played. I used to get the appeal but the older I get the more I appreciate hallway simulators with exciting set pieces

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 09:57 AM   #6173
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I hate to generalize, but this is how I think I feel about every "open world" game I have ever played. I used to get the appeal but the older I get the more I appreciate hallway simulators with exciting set pieces
There are good ways to do it. I look at Red Dead Redemption 2 - the writing around the open world activities helped build that world. It helped you feel connected to the towns/the characters. Look at the Witcher 3 as well - those side quests are better than most games main quests.

I have come to loathe the type of rubbish that Horizon was doing though.

“Here’s this brand new NPC that you’ll see for 11 seconds total - and look at this dire/not-dire circumstance they’re in! You have to help them!”

*travel to marker “A” on map*

*Fight one generic thing. I got it!*

*travel back to NPC, give thing*

*1000 xp granted*

Just garbage game design. Horizon’s main storyline was also not far from that structure either. The more I think back to my time with Forbidden West, the more I dislike it

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-09-2023 at 10:05 AM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:24 AM   #6174
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yep it was a disappointment. I hope they don't bring this one back until they get some fresh ideas for a storyline and some more interesting gameplay.
Make a 3rd or 1st person shooter and set it during Faro's time and the war with the AI.

I would love to see a movie made about that actually.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 02:13 PM   #6175
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This came with my PS5 and I gave up on it after a few hours.
Agree with everything you wrote, good on you for actually seeing it through!
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:11 PM   #6176
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I disagree with almost all of the negative comments on Horizon. I thought it was leaps and bounds better than the first one and probably the best game I’ve played on PS5.

For whatever reason I could never finish the first game, but this one had me hooked. I thought the story was awesome. Yes it follows some open world tropes, but if you compare it to some of the other open world games out today it does almost everything better. It’s very polished. I didn’t find it bloated at all like the AC games.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 05:31 AM   #6177
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah I liked it too. I didn't really like the story though, that whole plot with the immortal elites just didn't work for me. Which is a shame, since the story in the first one was so fascinating and captivating.

as for the open world aspect, it obviously wasn't nearly as good as RDR2, which to me is the gold standard of open worlds. But with all the different biomes, machine sites, rebel camps and collectibles, I still liked it a ton. Far more interesting to me than, say, Ghost of Tsushima (which I still thoroughly enjoyed).

I'm playing Death Stranding at the moment. What a ####ing weird game ... really don't know what to make of it yet.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 07:18 AM   #6178
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I disagree with almost all of the negative comments on Horizon. I thought it was leaps and bounds better than the first one and probably the best game I’ve played on PS5.

For whatever reason I could never finish the first game, but this one had me hooked. I thought the story was awesome. Yes it follows some open world tropes, but if you compare it to some of the other open world games out today it does almost everything better. It’s very polished. I didn’t find it bloated at all like the AC games.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I didn't think AC Valhalla was a great AC game but I found the story and gameplay better than Forbidden West. In fact I would say it's the most disappointing sequel of a fantastic game since TLOU2.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:29 AM   #6179
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I didn't think AC Valhalla was a great AC game but I found the story and gameplay better than Forbidden West. In fact I would say it's the most disappointing sequel of a fantastic game since TLOU2.

Yeah it sounds like we might be opposites on the gaming spectrum. TLOU2 is one of my favorite games in recent memory lol.

Another game I just finished that I would recommend is Cuphead. I put it off for so long because I’m not typically into boss fights, but this game is just so much fun. Ran great on the switch.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 09:47 AM   #6180
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Yeah it sounds like we might be opposites on the gaming spectrum. TLOU2 is one of my favorite games in recent memory lol.

Another game I just finished that I would recommend is Cuphead. I put it off for so long because I’m not typically into boss fights, but this game is just so much fun. Ran great on the switch.
Nothing wrong with that at all. Also I agree on Cuphead but man that game was hard for me.