Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #4221
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
Any attempt at advice to get them to do more than pressing a single button every 5 second will get you called toxic and/or kicked a lot of the time even if you're carrying their lazy butts through the content. Sad thing is, most of the time, it's long time players that do this so they really have no excuse.
I just leveled a Gunbreaker to 80 and now I'm leveling a Paladin (at 51), and I'm not experiencing the same issues you are. Since my main is a White Mage, I've been offering advice to healers I see in dungeons who are doing weird things. Usually there's silence or some discussion but it's never toxic and I've never seen a kick initiated. Either you're getting into some really bad groups of former WoW players or perhaps the way you're trying to give advice is coming across as adversarial?

One WHM in a Stone Vigil run was using Cure 3 constantly to heal me as I was tanking. I let him know that Cure 3 is only for big group heals and he should be using Cure 2 and Medica 2 before Cure 3. They didn't respond until the end of the dungeon and just said "sorry, couldn't type but I'm learning". That's pretty typical for FFXIV if you ask me, and the vast majority of people in this game are quite nice about suggestions or learning from mistakes.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:18 PM   #4222
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Battlefield 2042 Portal

This has me absolutely stoked!
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 03:33 PM   #4223
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dead Space remake for this gen:

Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 03:35 PM   #4224
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Jackfrags gives a great overview of the potential of Portal. The logic editor looks insane:

Old 07-23-2021, 07:38 AM   #4225
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I've long stopped bothering with sports games. It seems like a nightmare of wading through the worst of the industry when it comes to thieving pickpockets, gotcha obstacles and pay to win that resets every year.
That's why I only play iterations of each sport's game once or twice a decade.

Hadn't played any NBA games since 2K13. Decided to download 2K21 on Gamepass a couple months ago and had a good time. Wasn't aware of any fanboy transgressions and had no need for any microtransactions since it was all new for me.

Just started playing NHL 21 a couple weeks after after ignoring it since probably NHL15. Before that, NHL 08 was the last one I got into. There's enough new features in BAP mode in '21 to keep me entertained.

I'm currently on a hiatus from FIFA. Been about 4 years since I played a FIFA game. Maybe in 2023 I'll hit it up.

Golf games I don't mind playing yearly since they are more chill and less stressful, so I'll play those when they come out if they are free. Same with UFC games.

Madden games I technically I do 'play' them each year. But only to simulate for achievement points. As for the actual game, I think Madden '19 was the last one I really dug into.

Sports' games are dry AF these days and I agree it's not worth getting into them yearly for all the microtransactions involved. I also have sucked at online sport's games for 10+ years now so that's another reason to avoid them.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:19 AM   #4226
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Just started playing NHL 21 a couple weeks after after ignoring it since probably NHL15. Before that, NHL 08 was the last one I got into. There's enough new features in BAP mode in '21 to keep me entertained.
BAP is a mixed bag, I like that there's more stuff in it but I have to wonder how much it's really adding to the experience right now.

My teammate, management, and brand ratings are all maxed at 1,000 pts and even when they drop 50-100 points because I was forced to respond like a ###### in some random conversation, they're right back up there within a game or two. Nothing particularly interesting has happened as a result of maintaining these high ratings thus far, and I'm over a quarter through the season as the leading scorer on the team.

I got a challenge from a teammate to get 5 takeaways in a game. Okay, let's do that. Well, there's a few problems with achieving that goal. First, the NHL defines a takeaway as any type of pressure applied to an offensive player resulting in them losing possession of the puck, but as far as I can tell the game apparently is only interested in non-physical methods of gaining possession like stick or poke checking, so my creaming someone and recovering the puck didn't count somehow. And okay, after a couple times you should check the stats and see "Hmm, my takeaways aren't going up, maybe I need to stick-lift the puck carrier," except the in-game player statistics don't show takeaway stats. Then I lose teammate points because I didn't achieve the goal, but again it doesn't matter because it gets gained back when I promise the coach to 'play it safe' then score on a risky play anyway.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:03 PM   #4227
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty neat to hear so much video game music at the Olympics. India walking into Frog's theme was wild.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:06 PM   #4228
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Pretty neat to hear so much video game music at the Olympics. India walking into Frog's theme was wild.
Uh... excuse me? This happened?

Canada's athletes are dead to me.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:10 PM   #4229
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1418544852275548160
Old 07-23-2021, 09:12 PM   #4230
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...asy-Sonic-Nier

The complete list of video game themes from the opening ceremony of the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo...

• Dragon Quest - 'Overture: Roto’s Theme'

• Final Fantasy - 'Victory Fanfare'

• Tales of series - 'Sorey's Theme - The Shepherd'

• Monster Hunter - 'Proof of a Hero'

• Kingdom Hearts - 'Olympus Coliseum'

• Chrono Trigger - 'Frog’s Theme'

• Ace Combat - 'First Flight'

• Tales of series - 'Pomp and Majesty'

• Monster Hunter - 'Wind of Departure'

• Chrono Trigger - 'Robo’s Theme'

• Sonic the Hedgehog - 'Star Light Zone'

• Pro Evolution Soccer - 'eFootball Walk-on Theme'

• Final Fantasy - 'Main Theme'

• Phantasy Star Universe - 'Guardians'

• Kingdom Hearts - 'Hero’s Fanfare'

• Gradius - '01 Act I-1'

• Nier - 'Song of the Ancients'

• SaGa series - 'The Minstrel’s Refrain: SaGa Series Medley 2016'

• Soulcalibur - 'The Brave New Stage of History'
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 10:11 PM   #4231
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just going to assume whoever got to enter to Song of the Ancients is just going to win every event they're in.

... Although it occurs to me that a game whose plot is based on the entire human race being killed off by a virus is a bit of an odd choice.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:45 PM   #4232
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm just going to assume whoever got to enter to Song of the Ancients is just going to win every event they're in.

... Although it occurs to me that a game whose plot is based on the entire human race being killed off by a virus is a bit of an odd choice.
Was it China?
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 09:50 AM   #4233
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone is looking for a Zelda style game to kill some time Death's Door is super fun and one of the best games I've played this year.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #4234
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If anyone is looking for a Zelda style game to kill some time Death's Door is super fun and one of the best games I've played this year.
Will be buying it tonight, it looks like a great Zelda type game.

Also Flight Simulator dropped today with a sizeable 97.2gb file size. Time to move one of my games to my external HD until I feel like playing a different game.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:44 AM   #4235
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played and finished Ryse: Son of Rome yesterday on my Series X. Yes, the Xbox One 2013 launch title. I remember starting the game and getting so pissed off with the combat mechanics and implementation of QTEs that I got about quarter-way through and stopped playing.

Well, the combat is still a bit tiresome although not nearly as bad as I remembered, although the executions are pretty brutal in a good way, but holy hell, it's still incredible in the visuals department. A game from 2013 has no business looking this good, and AutoHDR on the Series X adds a nice touch too. Allegedly there's a sequel finally in development now after Crytek and MS figured out IP ownership.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:20 PM   #4236
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

#### Activision Blizzard.

https://kotaku.com/over-1-000-activi...-co-1847364340
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:57 PM   #4237
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Yeah, that is pretty gross. Especially the Activision initial response trying dismiss the lawsuit and disgusting work conditions.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:53 PM   #4238
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Loving Flight Sim on the Series X so far. It features some of the gobbledy#### that you’d expect with a complex sim port to console/controller, but it looks awesome and it’s amazing to finally see a proper flight sim on console at this level of fidelity.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:34 PM   #4239
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I was kinda looking forward to Diablo 4 and the 2 remake, but there's no way I can ever give that company another dime now
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 01:54 PM   #4240
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Death’s Door is good but I’m finding it’s largely carried by its art, music, and atmosphere, which is all excellent. The actual gameplay is merely okay - simple / repetitive combat that there’s way too much of, not enough enemy variety, not very many puzzles, not much to find or explore for in the world, the stat upgrades largely feel pointless. All the weapons and magic feel the same. I’m in the back quarter of it after six hours and am feeling a bit bored of it already.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: