Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2022, 03:05 AM   #2041
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Ok, let's say a crypto newbie has seen that the government clearly can and will take your money whenever they feel like for some arbitrary reason.
What are the basic steps one would take to hedge one's finances with some crypto? Which crypto would you suggest for money storage - BTC? Obviously, I think, private wallet? Which one? Thanks.
I will point out the obvious flaw in your reasoning here Vlad, if the Government are going to freeze you out they will also prevent you cashing out your crypto, while they may not be able to seize it that can effectively freeze it
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 07:09 AM   #2042
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, let's say a crypto newbie has seen that the government clearly can and will take your money whenever they feel like for some arbitrary reason.
What are the basic steps one would take to hedge one's finances with some crypto? Which crypto would you suggest for money storage - BTC? Obviously, I think, private wallet? Which one? Thanks.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...cy-donated-to/

Quote:
Ontario court freezes millions in cash, cryptocurrency donated to Ottawa protesters
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 10:28 AM   #2043
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
A government freezing crypto is only possible if it's kept on a regulated exchange.
karl262 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 10:30 AM   #2044
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I will point out the obvious flaw in your reasoning here Vlad, if the Government are going to freeze you out they will also prevent you cashing out your crypto, while they may not be able to seize it that can effectively freeze it
There are many many ways to "cash out" crypto that the government cannot stop you from doing.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:50 AM   #2045
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
There are many many ways to "cash out" crypto that the government cannot stop you from doing.
How can it be done? Genuinely asking, not asking in a confrontational manner.

Sending crypto to another user/wallet in exchange for fiat would make that person an accessory to a crime.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 10:51 AM   #2046
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless a person wanted to put their money in crypto for investment purposes, I would think an offshore bank account (for large sums of money) or cash in a non-bank safety deposit box (for smaller sums of money) would be a more effective way to store money beyond the government's control. More stable (in terms of value), secure, and easier to use.
opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 12:42 PM   #2047
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
How can it be done? Genuinely asking, not asking in a confrontational manner.

Sending crypto to another user/wallet in exchange for fiat would make that person an accessory to a crime.
Depends on what the end goal is really and what type of crypto. If I wanted to generate revenue completely off grid I'd get some monero, probably by mining it. So instead of straight up buying crypto on an exchange you'd spend that on some mining rigs and electricity, a good strategy because the equipment itself will retain value. In time you'd have mined the equivalent in crypto that you spent on computers and just keep going.

The IRS has a $625k bounty for anyone that can crack moneros privacy, almost 2 years and no luck.

Spending the monero you've mined is then just a matter of walking up to a crypto atm and taking out cash after you've flipped it into something it accepts if it doesn't take monero. Use a non kyc private wallet. Or buy precious metals with the crypto, or cars or houses or prepaid credit cards.

Last edited by karl262; 02-20-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:28 PM   #2048
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Obviously, the point would be to use it in a country with more robust rule of law than Canada, such as Belarus or Guatemala...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 01:28 PM   #2049
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Longterm storage with minimal risk? A pure stable coin LP farm on Polygon stuffed into a Ledger X not merged with a Web3 wallet. Will earn a passive 20-30% APY and would only be accessible through a cold wallet.
Can you recommend a stable coin LP with that high of an APY?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:50 PM   #2050
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Obviously, the point would be to use it in a country with more robust rule of law than Canada, such as Belarus or Guatemala...
I believe Cyprus is good for that as well
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 04:58 PM   #2051
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

I'd recommend against putting it all into the Freedom Convoy Token.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:22 PM   #2052
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Spoiler!

I'd recommend against putting it all into the Freedom Convoy Token.
Buy the dip!!!!
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2022, 12:15 AM   #2053
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Aren't you a lawyer? Doesn't that imply a basic grasp on how the law works and the need to use precise terms when discussing it? "Arbitrary reasons" aren't the same as "lawful reasons I nevertheless disagree with" nor is "more robust rule of law" equivalent to "the assets of criminals are less likely to be frozen".
Old 02-21-2022, 12:58 AM   #2054
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Never go full Theo.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2022, 10:24 AM   #2055
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsnixon View Post
Thought this was some notable news:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/intel-to-...-efficient-gpu

“We expect that our circuit innovations will deliver a blockchain accelerator that has over 1,000x better performance per watt than mainstream GPUs for SHA-256 based mining,” Intel's General Manager for Graphics, Raja Koduri, said in the announcement. (SHA-256 is a reference to the mining algorithm used to create Bitcoins.)

Could possibly make a drastic reduction in Bitcoin mining electrical demand.
I said earlier in the thread that computer advances would advance faster than the posted $1Billion electrical cost to mine the last Bitcoin, and there you have it, thanks for the share.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:53 AM   #2056
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I said earlier in the thread that computer advances would advance faster than the posted $1Billion electrical cost to mine the last Bitcoin, and there you have it, thanks for the share.

If quantum computers enter the fray, wouldn’t that make it virtually impossible for anybody else to mine them profitably without access to such computing power? If the difficulty gets upped, it seems like it would kill the mining industry.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 12:53 PM   #2057
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
The government doesn't have access to self custodial services.

By self custodial we are talking about something where you control the keys. Ledger is maybe the most popular service.
https://www.ledger.com/

If you are trying to hold crypto to hedge against government overreach, the weak point is custodial exchanges that require KYC where you either hold crypto, or sell crypto for FIAT. Coinbase or Crypto.com are the most popular.

If the government has reason to believe you hold crypto and are trying to target it, they will issue court orders (or just invoke the Emergency Act) and tell these exchanges they need to provide information on you, and freeze your account. These exchanges would have no choice and you would have no access to whatever you are holding on their platform.

Where it gets tricky after that is if you hold crypto on a self custodial service like Ledger. Theoretically the government has no way of knowing it is you unless they are tracing transfers of saying BTC from a wallet of interest into yours as everything on the BTC blockchain can be monitored even if they don't specifically know who the wallet address actually belongs too.

With the protestors, if they were using an exchange like Coinbase to accept the BTC donations, and then converting them to fiat from there, the government could freeze those funds. Even if the wallet owner transferred the BTC off of the Coinbase exchange into a Ledger wallet, and for whatever reason transferred it to your Ledger wallet, the government could trace that BTC and keep monitoring it. If you ever wanted to sell it, they could freeze your account and charge you for possession of illegal goods.

However it is relatively easy to get around that, as you could always sell your BTC to XMR on a decentralized exchange, and then move your XMR around to a few different wallets, convert it back to BTC or something else, and then sell that for FIAT on any exchange. I'm not quite sure how the government would track that specifically, but XMR is almost impossible to trace if you manage it properly.

Basically if I were you and you want to hold crypto as a hedge, buy whatever you think is best and hold it in a Ledger Wallet. There are guides to follow in order minimize your exposure as you move your crypto to your Ledger wallet.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2022, 01:05 PM   #2058
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
I am seeing this getting said a lot and it is fascinating to read as it shows a massive ignorance of how crypto works.

There are hundreds of guides online that tell you how to get around this specific issue. If someone is dumb enough to use a centralized exchange, hold their crypto there, or even use the custodial crypto address to accept donations, obviously the government will direct those exchanges to freeze the accounts.

However, provided someone isn't a complete moron, and assuming that you are trying to step around government interference, why would they used a centralized exchange that requires KYC?

For $100 I can buy a hardware wallet, obscure my crypto transactions, and move crypto around relatively easy. Even if the government is tracking specific BTC via wallets & transactions they are monitoring, I would just need to convert it to XMR, and further obscure the trail from there.

Also, it is possible to sell XMR for cash in every single major city in Canada.

You can also use Atomic Swaps to transfer XMR to BTC and sell for fiat.
You can use decentralized exchanges to sell for fiat.
You can use P2P trading platforms to sell for fiat.

In a nutshell, it would be possible to move crypto around from wallet to wallet as needed, and sell for fiat as needed, especially if you want to sell for cash.

The fact that the government was sending orders to self custodial services asking them to 'freeze accounts' shows me that there is a massive level of ignorance across the board on how crypto works, which explains the sudden grab interest in thinking they can regulate it via updated legislation.

The more government intrusion you will see into crypto, the more services will become available helping people hide & obscure their movements.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2022, 02:48 PM   #2059
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Aren't you a lawyer? Doesn't that imply a basic grasp on how the law works and the need to use precise terms when discussing it? "Arbitrary reasons" aren't the same as "lawful reasons I nevertheless disagree with" nor is "more robust rule of law" equivalent to "the assets of criminals are less likely to be frozen".

Not interested in a pointless debate. Just the mechanics of owning crypto - hence why I posted in the Crypto thread, and not one of many available political threads...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:36 PM   #2060
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

In the bigger scheme of things, crypto is going to decentralize a lot of stuff, and most of it for the better.

The biggest benefit is it takes away power from an authoritarian government, and moves toward a more decentralized system where power & financial authority is more localized.

Everyone needs to look at this beyond the lens of the politically motivated & emotionally charged 'protestors are bad' rhetoric that we now have in Canada.

We are living in a world where the 'free' governments are routinely spying on their own citizens (see latest CIA / NSA revelations in the US) without any kind of judicial oversight, and because of the politically motivated voting base, it is either being seen as 'okay' if people align with you politically, or not okay if their political views are different. This is very evident in the threads regarding the trucker protests, where people are okay with extreme government overreach and no oversight, but in a different environment those people who obviously be very critical of said government overreach.

That is why crypto is essential to helping the populace fight back against increasingly authoritarian governments across the world who operate without any regard for liberties and freedoms that are essential to any free country.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum