Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2023, 08:34 AM   #2801
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zelda CE is up at Walmart!

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/the-leg...er=jrr8pPQxhfE
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 11:05 AM   #2802
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

The Metroid Prime Remakster plays like a god damn dream. The simple add of twin-stick controls which was never in the original is such a quality of life improvement.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:59 AM   #2803
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
The Metroid Prime Remakster plays like a god damn dream. The simple add of twin-stick controls which was never in the original is such a quality of life improvement.
If I had a complaint its that the controls feel a little floaty but considering i'm playing with dual analog mode I'm not complaining. Great game so far.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:47 PM   #2804
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

No comment on Metroid's controls, cause I simply can't remember how it played on Gamecube. But I started it yesterday and was instantly hooked. I forgot how good Prime was, the remaster looks and sounds phenomenal
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 03:26 PM   #2805
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
No comment on Metroid's controls, cause I simply can't remember how it played on Gamecube. But I started it yesterday and was instantly hooked. I forgot how good Prime was, the remaster looks and sounds phenomenal

I had actually bought a gamecube not too long ago (start of COVID) to play through some of the old games I had, and Prime was one of them. So the controls were pretty fresh in my memory and were... awkward as hell when compared to newer FPS style games.

This change was just such an amazing QoL change for the game.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 02-21-2023, 12:49 PM   #2806
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Metroid Prime was already a classic, that same base game with true dual analogue controls and HD re-made graphics might be a perfect video game.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 03:52 PM   #2807
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Metroid Prime was already a classic, that same base game with true dual analogue controls and HD re-made graphics might be a perfect video game.

Yeah, the effort that seems to have been put into this really takes some of the remasters and remakes we've seen in recent years and just straight up bludgeons them with a shovel.

Edit- Compare this directly to another remaster just released on the Switch, Tales of Symhponia. It's night and day.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 02-22-2023 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-22-2023, 04:14 PM   #2808
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So my boys are 6.5 and 4. Should I still be holding off on introducing a Switch? They play some games on the iPad but nothing super serious besides Minecraft solo.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 07:22 PM   #2809
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
So my boys are 6.5 and 4. Should I still be holding off on introducing a Switch? They play some games on the iPad but nothing super serious besides Minecraft solo.
Would you also play a bit? My kid was 6-7 when we got the Switch, and he absolutely loved watching me play Breath of the Wild. It was a really nice bonding thing for us. He's 11.5 now and plays on his own more, but still loves watching or playing cooperatively.

And purely anecdotally, if my kid spends too much time on the iPad, his attitude and behaviour suffers. But if he plays the same amount of time on the Switch, he's fine. He has screen time limits in general and things are generally not too bad, I find that iPad time is way worse than Switch time. We are actually going to play Mario Party online with another family at 7:30, so it does open the door for some social gaming too.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 07:36 PM   #2810
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Mine were 5 and 3 and they both picked it up really quick. The 5-year old can play games like Mario Odyssey and Kirby Forgotten Land by herself, and she's getting quite good. The 3-year old loves playing as the hat in Odyssey, and we do a lot of 3 player coop in Mario 3D world and Rayman Legends
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 12:15 AM   #2811
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

My nieces, 5 and 10, only play Minecraft on the Switch. It's like some trap for kids that doesn't allow them to escape and enjoy other games. Their Switch notes something like 980 hours on that game alone.

They'd probably play on another devices. Maybe they do?
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 01:49 PM   #2812
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

We got a switch when my son was 5 and started with some easy games (paw patrol, rayman, sonic forces) and now he's 7 and plays a bunch of games by himself. Can definitely relate to the behavior suffering after excess screen time. Can't say I've tracked a difference between switch and tablet but when he spends too much time on his tablet he's a little #######.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2023, 01:18 PM   #2813
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
but when he spends too much time on his tablet he's a little #######.
Hahaha can so relate.

Thanks for the feedback, all!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:51 AM   #2814
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, Links’s Awakening is just fantastic. I played the hell out of that game on my Gameboy and it’s now so much fun to watch my eight year old get into this. It brings back a lot of great memories.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:45 PM   #2815
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

My boy is just about 6, but we got the switch when he was 4. At first a lot of the games were a bit to hard for him, but the newest Mario has a safe character that doesn't die, I forget it's name, but basically if you play two player you can just carry the other player through the levels.

He loved Mario Kart, it also has some sort of Bumper mode now where it will basically soft race for you, once he figured out it does it for him he got mad.. lol. But it was great when he was younger and didn't know what to do.

That Ninja Turtles re make was really popular as well, we played through that a few times. It has a very easy mode which is great for kids.

Now he plays a lot of Minecraft as mentioned above, kids just love that game.

I also notice a huge difference between Switch and iPad. I also don't really care for a lot of those kids YouTube shows. Not that every show isn't pushing a product, but I find those shows are hyper aggressive.

Minecraft has also helped his reading, and comprehending letters and words for the items he wants to buy or build. He works through them and asks me questions. With the iPad there is none of that, he just stares at the screen watches a video for 30 seconds then clicks on the next one.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:07 PM   #2816
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
My boy is just about 6, but we got the switch when he was 4. At first a lot of the games were a bit to hard for him, but the newest Mario has a safe character that doesn't die, I forget it's name, but basically if you play two player you can just carry the other player through the levels.

He loved Mario Kart, it also has some sort of Bumper mode now where it will basically soft race for you, once he figured out it does it for him he got mad.. lol. But it was great when he was younger and didn't know what to do.

That Ninja Turtles re make was really popular as well, we played through that a few times. It has a very easy mode which is great for kids.

Now he plays a lot of Minecraft as mentioned above, kids just love that game.

I also notice a huge difference between Switch and iPad. I also don't really care for a lot of those kids YouTube shows. Not that every show isn't pushing a product, but I find those shows are hyper aggressive.

Minecraft has also helped his reading, and comprehending letters and words for the items he wants to buy or build. He works through them and asks me questions. With the iPad there is none of that, he just stares at the screen watches a video for 30 seconds then clicks on the next one.
This is absolutely killing people brains...and its worse for kids
Old 03-06-2023, 11:10 PM   #2817
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished Hogwarts so I decided to pick up the Prime remaster. My God. Amazing. Just as I remembered it from 20 years ago (that makes me feel old).

Over COVID I busted out my GameCube and tried to give it a spin but the clunky controls were very hard to get used to after having not used them in ages. This game is absolutely perfect. I cannot wait to dive deeper in. The music is so nostalgic for me. Hoping they remaster the second and third games as well!
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2023, 11:13 PM   #2818
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Finished Hogwarts so I decided to pick up the Prime remaster. My God. Amazing. Just as I remembered it from 20 years ago (that makes me feel old).

Over COVID I busted out my GameCube and tried to give it a spin but the clunky controls were very hard to get used to after having not used them in ages. This game is absolutely perfect. I cannot wait to dive deeper in. The music is so nostalgic for me. Hoping they remaster the second and third games as well!
Have you ever tried the Wii version of the trilogy? The wiimote controls are pretty intuitive imo

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:33 PM   #2819
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Have you ever tried the Wii version of the trilogy? The wiimote controls are pretty intuitive imo
No, just the GameCube version of the first two. I didn't mind the third one though.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:17 AM   #2820
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone seen Metroid Prime Remastered at any stores? I prefer to buy physical copies rather than download but this game sold out fast and I haven’t seen any stores get any new shipments yet. I’ve been playing through all of the old Metroid games available on the switch online while waiting but I started the last one yesterday so I’m hoping the remaster is back in stock soon.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote