Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Flames announce ECHL affiliate agreement with Colorado Eagles

Sean Kelso @kelsohockey
@NHLFlames announce a 1 year ECHL affiliate agreement with the Colorado Eagles.

Just outside Denver.

Calgary has many daily flights to and from Denver. Just saying... could make it a lot easier for call ups.

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-05-2014 at 04:01 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
The Swedish Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh, I thought the Alaska Aces agreement was longer. They seemed like a good affiliate, winning the championship and everything.
The Swedish Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Sean Kelso @kelsohockey
@NHLFlames announce a 1 year ECHL affiliate agreement with the Colorado Eagles.

Just outside Denver.

Calgary has many daily flights to and from Denver. Just saying... could make it a lot easier for call ups.
How many daily flights from Denver to Albany?

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

sooo ... the Aces affiliation is done? That's disappointing, to be honest.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
The Swedish Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
How many daily flights from Denver to Albany?
Made a search on the airport's website for direct flights between Albany and Denver tomorrow. Unless I did something wrong, I don't think there are any.

Quote:
We did not find any flights that match the search information you submitted. Please update the flight search form and try again.
The Swedish Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swedish Flame View Post
Oh, I thought the Alaska Aces agreement was longer. They seemed like a good affiliate, winning the championship and everything.
Yeah this is disappointing in a way but I guess Alaska is too far from NY.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:56 AM   #7
Athntk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

RIP the only affiliation worth a #### we've ever had. Sad day for me and a big loss for us. Guess I should have seen it coming since your GM was the CHL commissioner when the CHL's pride and joy was the Colorado Eagles. He probably has a serious connection with that ownership group.
Athntk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Athntk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2014, 01:19 AM   #8
Athntk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My only hope is the great AHL West plan happens in ~2017.

LA Kings. Manchester(owns, lease flexibility) -> Ontario (currently ECHL)(owns)
Vancouver. Utica(owns, lease expires 2017) -> Abbotsford
San Jose. Worcester(owns, lease in flux but should be moveable by 2017) -> Stockton (ECHL)
Edmonton. Oklahoma City(owns, lease flexibility) -> Bakersfield (ECHL)(owns)
Calgary. Glens Falls(owns, lease expires in 2017, arena more than likely being shut down) -> Alaska (ECHL)
Anaheim. Norfolk(has 5 year deal, expiring in 2017) -> Idaho (ECHL)

Last edited by Athntk; 08-06-2014 at 01:26 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Athntk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

There is a rumor out there that the ECHL and CHL (Central Hockey League) are in discussions to merge.

If that happens will be interesting to see what happens with the Colorado Eagles (ECHL) and Denver Cutthroats (CHL).

Cutthroats are currently an Avalanche affiliate, and if the leagues merge I would expect one of the Eagles or Cutthroats to fold.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is a rumor out there that the ECHL and CHL (Central Hockey League) are in discussions to merge.

If that happens will be interesting to see what happens with the Colorado Eagles (ECHL) and Denver Cutthroats (CHL).

Cutthroats are currently an Avalanche affiliate, and if the leagues merge I would expect one of the Eagles or Cutthroats to fold.
Well if attendance means anything it would the Cutthroats. They are about an hour drive apart though... so I would guess as long as Denver is fine dealing with the losses they would be ok in the same league.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athntk View Post
RIP the only affiliation worth a #### we've ever had. Sad day for me and a big loss for us. Guess I should have seen it coming since your GM was the CHL commissioner when the CHL's pride and joy was the Colorado Eagles. He probably has a serious connection with that ownership group.
I would like to thank you for all the updates you provided. It was nice to follow the Aces, and you helped make following them easier. Hope your next affiliation works out even better for your team.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2014, 05:07 AM   #12
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Aces coach says the reason the affiliation did not continue was because the Flames thought the distance between Anchorage and Glenn Falls was "insurmountable"

http://www.adn.com/article/20140807/...ew-affiliation

Quote:
Aces coach Rob Murray said the offseason move of Calgary’s American Hockey League team from Abbotsford, British Columbia, to Glen Falls, New York, complicated the Aces' deal with Calgary. Shuttling players between Anchorage and upstate New York looked untenable, especially when compared to how quickly players previously traveled between Anchorage and Abbotsford last season. Calgary this week announced the Colorado Eagles as its new ECHL affiliate.

“It’s unfortunate and very disappointing the affiliation with Calgary was severed,’’ Murray said. “They just figured the distance between Anchorage and Glen Falls was insurmountable.

“We had a great relationship. (Calgary) loved having their players here.’’
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
Athntk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Aces coach says the reason the affiliation did not continue was because the Flames thought the distance between Anchorage and Glenn Falls was "insurmountable"

http://www.adn.com/article/20140807/...ew-affiliation
It might end up how it did a few years back after we went independent from the Blues. The Aces end up with a sporadic Flames prospect because they still trust the development. We have to pay for the privilege of being affiliated so the "independent" route just lines our pockets more for taking care of our roster.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #14
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here is a good article on AHL/ ECHL re alignment and how it could really work geographically.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/8/7...-league-hockey

There are a ton of holes in this proposal and would likely never come to fruition but some good points to. One problem is that closer does not mean easier travel. For example having the AHL franchise in Boisie ID, makes sense based on geography but not the most ideal situation for flights.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #15
Athntk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Ugh, all these article are terrible. First of all why in the F would a franchise owner trade an AHL franchise worth 7-8 million for an ECHL franchise worth 2.5.

None of these articles report on things like leases and franchise ownership. Stuff that is useful knowledge and almost all googleable.

Then again I've been following minor league hockey business as a hobby for 18 years now so maybe it just drives me a bit bonkers when something so uniformed is trotted out as click bait. It's like they've never even read Reno, Nevada city council development board meeting minutes to see whats going on with a land deal involved in arena development. The worst is when they just upload a 2 hour video file with no notes and you watch hours of discussion on parking space allotments before they get to the juicy bit about a potential special events center being constructed and whether they still plan on putting an ice plant in the thing. (I really hate Vancouver, Washington's city councils technical ability). Though it will always still be a joy to read a sheriff's report like in Tupelo, Mississippi where they confiscated the players clothes mid practice because the team was behind on rent.

Last edited by Athntk; 08-11-2014 at 05:34 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Athntk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #16
Athntk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

BTW the clown that sparked the ECHL/CHL merger rumors openly admitted to just making that S up saying "it's bound to happen". So all of this is from a tweet by a guy who admitted to just making it up. CHL and ECHL owners are both on record saying no significant talks have happened.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #17
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Late to the party but this is unfortunate. Both as the Aces looked to have a good system and a winning atmosphere that was beneficial to our prospects and that again we lose a valuable contributor to the forum who provided updates on the goings on there.

It's going to be a very different looking back burner forum this upcoming season and while you aren't replaceable Athntk, I sure hope someone with ties to the Eagles tries as news about ECHL teams is extremely difficult to come by.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #18
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Looks like it will be the Cutthroats. There's some rumblings going around that the Cutthroats and Sundogs will be announcing they are ceasing operations as soon as Wednesday morning.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #19
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Confirmed that Denver ceases operations.

http://centralhockeyleague.com/news/?article_id=11184
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #20
Athntk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Don't worry, they are going to be an AHL team next season LOL. They are going to turn those 140 season tickets and 5 sponsors into a developmental powerhouse.