Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #41
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Robby Fabbri profile now up.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #42
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yet another brother in the City of Brotherly Love Draft:

Nick Schmaltz profile up

Eric Cornel profile now up as well - many services have him as a second rnder but he should be considered for the bottom 3rd of the 1st rnd.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #43
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cornel looks interesting for one of our 2nd rounders. RW who shoots R and is good size at 6'2". It says he needs to get heavier (184lbs.) and stronger but what do you expect in the 2nd.

Also his 2013/14 stats are 68 GP, 25 G and 37 assists which is pretty good.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #44
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Cornel looks interesting for one of our 2nd rounders. RW who shoots R and is good size at 6'2". It says he needs to get heavier (184lbs.) and stronger but what do you expect in the 2nd.

Also his 2013/14 stats are 68 GP, 25 G and 37 assists which is pretty good.
He also really had a strong 2014 (January onwards).

Would love for Flames to nab him in the 2nd, if he lasts that long. Could see a team really liking him in the bottom 3rd of the 1st rnd though.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #45
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Conner Bleackley profile up
- no bloodlines, but NHL pro written all over him
Old 03-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #46
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bonus draft coverage: More goalie interviews:

Chase Perry interview by Toli Metter

Edwin Minney interview

+

2014 NHL Draft: Draft-Eligible Darkhorse Goalies (North America) - See more at: http://thehockeywriters.com/category/nhl-entry-draft-2/
Old 03-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #47
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Only 2 left for the top 30.

Jakub Vrana profile up

#MrDynamic
Old 03-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #48
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

29th & 30th profiles up: The intriguing:

Nikolay Goldobin &

Anthony DeAngelo
Old 03-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #49
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Conner Bleackley profile up
- no bloodlines, but NHL pro written all over him
This is the player I hope we can snag with our original 2nd rounder. Looks like all the characteristics of a Brian Burke pick.

Problem is, if he slips to the 2nd round it probably means people don't see much offensive upside. If they think he has any chance of being a top 6 forward at all then he will definitely go in the 1st round.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #50
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
This is the player I hope we can snag with our original 2nd rounder. Looks like all the characteristics of a Brian Burke pick.

Problem is, if he slips to the 2nd round it probably means people don't see much offensive upside. If they think he has any chance of being a top 6 forward at all then he will definitely go in the 1st round.
Would love for it to happen, but can't see Bleackley slipping out of the 1st rnd, but who knows.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #51
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goldobin is an interesting one for me. Can see him being taken anywhere in the first round really. Say the flames pick 7th or lower, with their knack for developing players recently I hope e they take a good long look at him and maybe pick him. Immense offensive skill. Just needs to round out his game a little more.

I'd argue he could be the exact kind of pick the Flames should make. They have tons of great two way forwards but lack dynamic offensive prowess type players.

Last edited by dammage79; 03-23-2014 at 08:07 PM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #52
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Goldobin scares me. I admit I havent watched a whole lot of him, but my mind associates him with Yakupov for one reason or another. Does he play for the same junior team?
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #53
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think so, the Sarnia sting.

Personally I'd give him the edge over Barbashev in terms of offensive skill. I wish Tckatchev was bigger. He'd be up there in the top five picks IMO with a few inches and 30 pounds.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #54
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Goldobin is an interesting one for me. Can see him being taken anywhere in the first round really. Say the flames pick 7th or lower, with their recent knack for developing players recently I hope e they take a good long look at him and maybe pick him. Immense offensive skill. Just needs to round out his game a little more.

I'd argue he could be the exact kind if pick the Flames should make. They have tons of great two way forward a but lack dynamic offensive prowess type players.
I really like Goldobin too, and though I wouldn't say he is good defensively, he isn't completely lost in his own zone.

I just don't see Burke picking him. Not unless Cammalleri moves on and he trades Hudler (and maybe even one step further and trades Baertschi as well). Gaudreau is that 'dynamic' offensive talent, but in a small package. Goldobin I would rank at near elite offensive ability as well. I would like to have him on the Flames, but he is fairly small (depending on what site you are looking for - but he at the very least has a very slight build). I think Burke will make sure the Flames select a player that has size + skill this draft, instead of just pure skill.

A Russian that I could actually see Burke drafting would be Barbashev. Plays with an edge - fairly physical. Has some high-end skill and is responsible defensively. Is 6'0" and 181lbs (again, depending on which site - but this one is the same one having Goldobin at 5'9" and 146lbs - and I know he is bigger than this now).

It is tempting though - Goldobin's offensive skill is probably top 5 in the NHL, and he has tremendous IQ. I really like him as a prospect myself - just can't see the Flames drafting him as they are assured of getting a prospect with skill+size this draft (one of the Sams may drop, Draisaitl might be there, Dal Colle, Ritchie and Perlini are ranked right around where the Flames seem to be finishing at, and could be more surprises).

I do expect the Flames to draft a couple more times this year from Europe (and possibly even Russia). They hired Todd Woodcraft this off-season.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=679765

Quote:
“Todd’s extensive experience in Europe, and particularly Russia, will be invaluable for us as we continue to place even greater emphasis on drafting and developing our own players.”
Definitely think they will at least have a better focus on European prospects this draft, and could potentially pick some with their later-round picks (as I don't see them picking Nylander or Kapanen either for much the same reasons as not picking Goldobin - though Kapanen is apparently 6'0" and 181lbs now, so maybe he can be that high-offensive player you are looking for?).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #55
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen Goldobin listed at six feet.

I don't think goldobin will be in the NHL for a couple seasons but you can never have too many elite skilled forwards to throw at the wall. One will definitely stick.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #56
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like Goldobin as a talent, but like RyZ, scares me a little and hope the Flames take a pass, unless he miraculously slips to the 2nd rnd like a Zykov did last yr (although different style of players, mind you).
Old 03-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #57
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I think you let Russians drop til they are too good to pass up. Which means we won't be taking one until the 2nd round at least since none are in consideration for the top 10.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #58
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

FYI only: I've got a conference coming up so profiles & draft coverage to resume 2nd/3rd week in April.

As for 2nd rnd picks, keep an eye out for Eric Cornel for the Flames, if he doesn't go in the 1st.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #59
Commandant
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The LWOS Draft headquarters is open for 2014 and the draft overview is now up.
http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/...entry-draft-o/

New article every day.
Commandant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Commandant For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #60
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

E-Mac painstakingly went through the process of combining NHL CS's Final Rankings.

He also highlights some surprises or even eyebrow raisers.

Sit back, click here and enjoy...

Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-draf...ings-combined/

Tags
2014 nhl draft , aaron ekblad , sam reinhart , the hockey writers , thw