Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2014, 12:23 AM   #41
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Where does Granlund fit on the Flames next season? He certainly looked like an NHL caliber C in his time with the Flames and by most accounts he was the Heat's best player this season.

He's not taking Monahan's spot in the line up. Stajan is locked up long term and he's better used as a third line guy than a fourth (as we've seen).

Backlund has taken a huge step forward this season, but I think there is an argument that Granlund would make a better second line center than Backlund production-wise. Then again, it seems absurd to finally have Backlund develop into a good player and somehow become expendable. Backlund also seems to have stepped into a leadership role on the team.

Do you guys see Granlund moving to the wing? Does his displace one of the other guys? Will he start in the AHL again and have to wait for an injury?

Judging on what the flames have at center for next year in Backlund , Stajan , and monahan, I would have to think if granlund is not shipped to wing he starts the year in the AHL . Even if they try him at wing it's still not a given he is in the NhL next year. Have to think Sven,Reinhart, and Byron will be pretty hungry for a spot, not to mention if they pick up a ufa.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #42
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any updates on Granlund at all? Separated shoulder confirmed?
Old 03-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #43
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggysback05 View Post
Any updates on Granlund at all? Separated shoulder confirmed?
It's a shoulder injury, I don't know any further details, but time keeps slippin ahead..

I'd guess it's a 6-8 week thing.

I wouldn't expect him back before the 20th of April. But it's just speculation.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #44
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bump. Watching Granlund play the rookie tournament I have no doubt he has NHL calibre skills but I feel he needs to work on his build quite a bit, add some much needed strength. I feel he isn't yet strong enough to stay healthy for a full year in the NHL. I worry more about him than Johnny at this stage, Johnny is very good at making guys miss a hit whereas Granlund doesn't have that same foresight imo.
lanny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #45
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

He could always add strength but at 185 lbs he isn't small for his size. I don't see that as a reason to keep him in the AHL.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #46
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
He could always add strength but at 185 lbs he isn't small for his size. I don't see that as a reason to keep him in the AHL.
I would rather give him the top center minutes in the AHL rather than the 3rd line in the NHL.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #47
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I would rather give him the top center minutes in the AHL rather than the 3rd line in the NHL.
It depends on what you mean by that. The Flames right now don't really have a clear cut #1 line and even if they did - there likely won't be a huge difference in ice time between their #2 and #3 lines. I think if he can get 12-15 minutes a game in the NHL, playing with decent linemates, I'd prefer that for his development over a second year in the AHL (assuming of course he earns a spot). I think Granlund is a dark horse. He really seems ready to step up to the NHL in my opinion. Another year in the A might be what he needs but I could also see him with the big club. Most players don't start out in the NHL with first line ice time. They start on the third (maybe second) line but with good teammates, sheltered minutes and the opportunity for more ice time as he progresses. I wouldn't mind seeing that situation with Granlund.
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GettinIggyWithIt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #48
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanny9 View Post
Bump. Watching Granlund play the rookie tournament I have no doubt he has NHL calibre skills but I feel he needs to work on his build quite a bit, add some much needed strength. I feel he isn't yet strong enough to stay healthy for a full year in the NHL. I worry more about him than Johnny at this stage, Johnny is very good at making guys miss a hit whereas Granlund doesn't have that same foresight imo.
Doesn't he though? I didnt see him get hit once in the two games in Penticton.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #49
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What is this about his weight/build? When was that a problem for Granlund? The kid is gritty and goes to the dirty areas without much difficulty at all. Don't know what people are smoking, he could stand to add a few lbs but he'll be fine.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #50
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Don't even start this ####. Do you want to see him an NHLer? Then he's going to have to take 3rd line minutes at some point no matter what, to adjust to the next level. He's not going to magically jump to top 6 minutes on the big club from the AHL, even if he spend the whole year playing on the farm's top line. He'll still play PLENTY of hockey, even if it's depth minutes at the next level.

Can't stand people who think development is somehow slowed by taking depth minutes. If he's playing NHL minutes, it's still NHL minutes, with NHL practices, and he's learning a lot there. More valuable experience for his career than even suiting up 18 minutes a night with the heat. That may not have been what you were going towards in saying that, but it's an argument a lot of people on here like to make, and it's plain dumb.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #51
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan played 3rd line last season and everyone seems to think his season was a success

Nothing wrong with playing 3rd line minutes as an NHL rookie.
albertGQ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #52
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Doesn't he though? I didnt see him get hit once in the two games in Penticton.
He didn't get hit per se but he did get knocked off the puck easily as well he wasn't able to get the puck off bigger stronger opponents. 6' 185 lb isn't that big, he could gain 10-15 and I would then be more comfortable with him at the NHL level.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #53
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
What is this about his weight/build? When was that a problem for Granlund? The kid is gritty and goes to the dirty areas without much difficulty at all. Don't know what people are smoking, he could stand to add a few lbs but he'll be fine.
He definitely needs 10-15 lbs of muscle, we need to remember that he was playing against kids and some AHLers, when he plays against NHL strength it is going to take a bit more. I noticed it a lot last year when he was up, those that think he has the strength are obviously wearing rose tinted glasses.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #54
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

He looked strong enough to play in the NHL last season. He was solid, stronger than his brother at the same age. He had no more trouble than someone like Hudler did.

At this point of his career it's all about whether he earns a spot or not. There's no physical or mental reason to have him play in the minors. If he gets outplayed by the competition, then he'll have to wait for his turn, but a young player doesn't have to be a fully finished product to play in the NHL. He doesn't have to be able to outmuscle every veteran or carry a scoring line right away.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #55
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanny9 View Post
He didn't get hit per se but he did get knocked off the puck easily as well he wasn't able to get the puck off bigger stronger opponents. 6' 185 lb isn't that big, he could gain 10-15 and I would then be more comfortable with him at the NHL level.
I didn't see that at all. The kid was stripping pucks off NHLers in his 6 game stint in the NHL. I think you are underestimating him.

And 6' 185 is pretty average. Even in the NHL for a kid of his body type.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #56
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was listed as 190 in the rookie tournament roster. Weight isn't an issue either way. Looking at other centers, around the same as Monahan, close to Stajan, and not that far from Backlund either. If you want to wait until he's over 200 pounds, you might have to wait until he's 27.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #57
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I thought he played really well in his NHL stint. Small sample size for sure, but it was a shame he got hurt. I think he has a real shot this year, but it is a good sign that there is competition amongst the newish guys (Reinhart, Wolf, Ferland, Gaudreau, Baertschi, etc), not to mention the old guard.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote