Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2023, 11:00 AM   #181
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Loaded up on a bunch of young players 36 months apart in age, kept a couple vets from the Stanley Cup days to mentor and signed a couple key UFA’s and made a trade for a young PPG player by giving up an asset not in their age group of the players that are about 36 months apart.
Since you brought it up (and said it twice), I thought I would take a look. This is the age distribution of the Kings:

20: 1 , 25: 2
21: 1 , 26: 3
22: 2 , 27: 2
23: 4 , 28: 4
24: 1 , 29: 2

Where is this group of players that are 36 months apart? The 4 23 year olds, and 2 22 year olds? Spence, Ingham, Kupari, Valardi, Anderson and Anderson-Dolan? Is that who you are suggesting they "loaded up on"?

The Kings have 13 guys in the 25-29 range (peak of career). The Flames only have... wait for it... (checks notes)... 13 guys in the 25-29 age group (7 of which are 25 or 26).

I mean, are the Kings younger than the Flames overall? Yes, of course, they are just emerging from a rebuild. But whatever point you were making just doesn't show up in the numbers.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:04 PM   #182
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
I disagree with this a bit. This team has been plagued by poor goaltending for most of the season and the soon to be ten million dollar man has been a no show for the most part. The rest of the team has had a decent season minus Mangiapane. Huberdeau seems to be the one that doesn't fit I'll agree one hundred percent with that and that's why I'm glad I'm not in charge of fixing this. He will be an albatross if you stick with the team they have built to play Sutter hockey but if you build the team around Huberdeaus style you might as well tear it down and rebuild because the rest of the players aren't set up for run and gun in my opinion.
A lot of guys coming up for renewal soon. It will be interesting to see which way they go. They will probably go full Sutter though.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:13 PM   #183
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Markstrom is 35 and close to be toasted.
You're living in 2025. Lewis and Lucic are the only players on the team that will be 35 or older this year.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:55 PM   #184
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
You're living in 2025. Lewis and Lucic are the only players on the team that will be 35 or older this year.
Sorry my mistake , he is only 33
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:10 PM   #185
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Since you brought it up (and said it twice), I thought I would take a look. This is the age distribution of the Kings:

20: 1 , 25: 2
21: 1 , 26: 3
22: 2 , 27: 2
23: 4 , 28: 4
24: 1 , 29: 2

Where is this group of players that are 36 months apart? The 4 23 year olds, and 2 22 year olds? Spence, Ingham, Kupari, Valardi, Anderson and Anderson-Dolan? Is that who you are suggesting they "loaded up on"?

The Kings have 13 guys in the 25-29 range (peak of career). The Flames only have... wait for it... (checks notes)... 13 guys in the 25-29 age group (7 of which are 25 or 26).

I mean, are the Kings younger than the Flames overall? Yes, of course, they are just emerging from a rebuild. But whatever point you were making just doesn't show up in the numbers.
They tried to load up on 97-99 birth years. Some are in the NHL and some are not. But they grabbed the following legit NHL assets in that group

Lias Anderson - Trade (minors)
Tyler Madden - Trade (Minors)
vilardi - draft
Durzi - trade
Lizotte - free agent
Anderson - draft
Grundstrom - trade
Anderson Dolan - draft

In the playoffs with a healthy lineup this year 5 of those guys in the 22-24 year old age group will be amongst their 18 forwards and defence. A healthy lineup for them has 3 guys over 30 and 7 or 8 guys who are 25-29 and likely 1-2 guys under the age of 22.

For the Flames, a healthy lineup for most of the year would be
7 forwards/defence over the age of 30
9 players 25-29
2 players under 25.

Surely you can see the difference in those two lineups?
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:45 PM   #186
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
They tried to load up on 97-99 birth years. Some are in the NHL and some are not. But they grabbed the following legit NHL assets in that group

Lias Anderson - Trade (minors)
Tyler Madden - Trade (Minors)
vilardi - draft
Durzi - trade
Lizotte - free agent
Anderson - draft
Grundstrom - trade
Anderson Dolan - draft

In the playoffs with a healthy lineup this year 5 of those guys in the 22-24 year old age group will be amongst their 18 forwards and defence. A healthy lineup for them has 3 guys over 30 and 7 or 8 guys who are 25-29 and likely 1-2 guys under the age of 22.

For the Flames, a healthy lineup for most of the year would be
7 forwards/defence over the age of 30
9 players 25-29
2 players under 25.

Surely you can see the difference in those two lineups?
I literally acknowledged the difference - they are just emerging from a rebuild afterall. But your initial claim was seeing what you want to see
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:58 PM   #187
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
If huberdeau and Kadri don’t like playing for sutter. They can request to mutually terminate their contracts… just saying
I’m fine with that as long as Sutter does the same. IMO his coaching style is no longer a fit in todays nhl. Game is to fast and players far to skilled to be playing man to man in defensive zone. Maybe if we had a young , fast team it would work , but we don’t, and he won’t adjust. Not saying Sutter is the only problem, but he’s high on the list.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:34 PM   #188
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
If huberdeau and Kadri don’t like playing for sutter. They can request to mutually terminate their contracts… just saying
That would certainly solve a couple of big problems. Brilliant suggestion.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:43 AM   #189
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Postgame links
https://stats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl/recap/146796
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/2466759
https://www.espn.com/nhl/recap/_/gameId/401459707
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...785062#content