Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2023, 10:13 PM   #41
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
https://www.razzies.com/razz-newz.html

WORST PICTURE
Blonde
Disney’s Pinocchio
Good Mourning
The King’s Daughter
Morbius

WORST ACTOR
Colson Baker (aka Machine Gun Kelly) Good Mourning
Pete Davidson (Voice Only) Marmaduke
Tom Hanks (As Gepetto) Disney’s Pinocchio
Jared Leto / Morbius
Sylvester Stallone / Samaritan

WORST ACTRESS
Bryce Dallas Howard / Jurassic Park: Dominion
Diane Keaton / Mack & Rita
Kaya Scodelario / The King’s Daughter
Alicia Silverstone / The Requin
These are always a bit of fun. However, actors seem to be chosen in their individual category based on the putrid film they are in.

Hanks' performance in Pinocchio was the best part of the film, but #### him for being in it in the first place, right?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:34 PM   #42
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Really? Farrell is in basically every scene. Gleeson isn't.
Yeah, you're right. That was a bad example. I did find an interesting site when looking at this. Judd Hirsch with a total of 8 minutes of screen time for his supporting actor nod. Lowest on-screen time for best actor looks like Anthony Hopkins with 24 minutes in Silence of the Lambs.

https://www.screentimecentral.com/
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:39 PM   #43
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah, you're right. That was a bad example. I did find an interesting site when looking at this. Judd Hirsch with a total of 8 minutes of screen time for his supporting actor nod. Lowest on-screen time for best actor looks like Anthony Hopkins with 24 minutes in Silence of the Lambs.

https://www.screentimecentral.com/
I remember Judy Dench throwing some shade about her Best Actress Oscar for something like 5 minutes of screen time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:41 PM   #44
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beatrice Straight takes the cake, Oscar win for under 5 minutes and exactly one scene.

100% deserved.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:42 PM   #45
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mia Goth in Pearl is easily one of the best performances from 2022, male or female.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:01 AM   #46
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Christina Ricci hits the nail on the head.

On blast. Christina Ricci slammed the Oscars for seemingly placing To Leslie star Andrea Riseborough’s Best Actress nomination under investigation.

https://www.lifeandstylemag.com/post...investigation/

“Seems hilarious that the ‘surprise nomination’ (meaning tons of money wasn’t spent to position this actress) of a legitimately brilliant performance is being met with an investigation,”
She continued, “So, it’s only the films and actors that can afford the campaigns that deserve recognition? Feels elitist and exclusive and, frankly, very backward to me. And I’m sure she had nothing to do with the campaigning. These things aren’t controlled or decided by the actors themselves, and yet now, her nomination will be tainted by this. And if it’s taken away, shame on them.”
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:01 AM   #47
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1619805904244989952

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 11:19 AM   #48
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

EEAAO was some of the most fun I had watching a movie in a long time. Was a breath of fresh air for movies for me. I understand people not loving it as it was silly and a bit long. Could have tighten up a bit at the end. I think it was one of the directors that said they are happy to have their film both be an under appreciated darling film and then the most over rated movie of the year.

I thought Top Gun was 4/5 star movie for me. The action is 5/5 the rest of the movie is a 3/5 for me. It's very cheesy, as was the first movie (even more so). I think it deserves the nomination as the action was unreal. I truly appreciate the real world work that went into it. I found much more compelling than Avatar 2 which is basically an animated movie.

I am disappointed RRR didn't get more nominations. It only got nominated for best song. I would have loved to see a nomination for foreign film and/or best picture. It was my favourite movie of the year. Pure cinema in my eyes.

But at the end of the day getting nominations or winning doesn't change the movie. No point in getting worked up about the Oscars.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 11:32 AM   #49
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I get they’re pandering to the masses to try and bolster their pathetic and declining ratings but good lord. Have some standards or it cheapens the entire thing. And it was already a charade.
I think that the Oscars have heavily changed their focus from movies to movie stars. Scrapping all the technical categories from the main show was a big tell to this. The focus is on the celebrity of the actors not the celebration of movies. Personally I find this extremely boring. Actors are only a piece of the movie, there is so much else that goes into a great movie. I have very little interest in the personal lives of celebrities including actors.

It was very interesting to hear Bon Joon Ho (director of Parasite) talk about his love for movies when he won and everyone else talks about their social cause. While it's admirable that many have a cause they are passionate about it's just another thing that makes the focus not about movies but about celebrity.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 01:27 PM   #50
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I watched Banshees of Inisherin last night. There are some powerful moments and fantastic performances but on a whole.. I didn't really like it. Brendan Gleeson's character and plot line made no sense to me.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:35 PM   #51
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
It's not best picture but I genuinely think it deserves a technical award of some kind like cinematography or something else because they literally put IMAX cameras inside F-18s and flew around with actors in the backseats for real.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 01:41 PM   #52
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
It's not best picture but I genuinely think it deserves a technical award of some kind like cinematography or something else because they literally put IMAX cameras inside F-18s and flew around with actors in the backseats for real.
I was thinking the same thing.

Really, the script, the story, the acting, etc. was nothing special.

The sound, the cinematography and the technical aspects were absolutely first rate.

So overall I'd say its a good movie, but maybe they should try zeroing in on the aspects that made it something special.

I can understand that guy's opinion. I really liked Top Gun 2, but its a dumb blockbuster, it was a lot of fun but it also made no pretension about what it was.

Is that the 'Best' movie?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:47 AM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kind of feel Everything Everywhere All At Once is a good but not great film (throwing everything at you but the kitchen sink to distract from the fact it's a very basic story about a family in turmoil doesn't make it great IMO) so I don't have a problem with Top Gun being nominated beside it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 08:27 AM   #54
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I kind of feel Everything Everywhere All At Once is a good but not great film (throwing everything at you but the kitchen sink to distract from the fact it's a very basic story about a family in turmoil doesn't make it great IMO) so I don't have a problem with Top Gun being nominated beside it.
You can boil every movie down to its basic plot and call everything else an attempt at distraction, though.

I feel like EEAAO has gone from overrated to underrated, there’s a lot of depth to the story and the performances. I don’t see it as all that different a category than a Spike Jonze film or a Michel Gondry film, and both of them have Oscars.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:20 AM   #55
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Black Panther was nominated for an Oscar, why not Top Gun 2? Plotwise and writing wise, it's about the same level.

Black Panther was as generic as every other super hero origin movie. Protagonist shows their power, gets owned by the main bad guy midway through, goes on personal journey to get stronger, comes back and defeats bad guy. The end.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed BP, just saying I have no issues with TG2 being nominated either.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 09:32 AM   #56
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You can boil every movie down to its basic plot and call everything else an attempt at distraction, though.

I feel like EEAAO has gone from overrated to underrated, there’s a lot of depth to the story and the performances. I don’t see it as all that different a category than a Spike Jonze film or a Michel Gondry film, and both of them have Oscars.
It's nominated for best picture so hard to make a case it's underrated. I'm not saying it's a bad film or anything as there were a few really funny moments but it's a tad too long (to me all the alternative universe flashes start to turn into filler after a while) and it's propped up a lot by Michelle Yeoh who delivers a fantastic performance. I'm glad I watched it but I have no craving to see it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
If Black Panther was nominated for an Oscar, why not Top Gun 2? Plotwise and writing wise, it's about the same level.

Black Panther was as generic as every other super hero origin movie. Protagonist shows their power, gets owned by the main bad guy midway through, goes on personal journey to get stronger, comes back and defeats bad guy. The end.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed BP, just saying I have no issues with TG2 being nominated either.
Yeah that's another one. It's formulaic Marvel that we have seen countless times before so if they are going to include movies like this, they may as well include the best cinema popcorn flick released in years.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:39 AM   #57
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I watched Banshees of Inisherin last night. There are some powerful moments and fantastic performances but on a whole.. I didn't really like it. Brendan Gleeson's character and plot line made no sense to me.

I'm with you. I can recognize it to be a well-made film but the character and plot are simply chess pieces to tell an allegory.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:54 PM   #58
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I'm with you. I can recognize it to be a well-made film but the character and plot are simply chess pieces to tell an allegory.
Yeah I had to talk to my Ph.D English mother to understand the allegory. It's about civil war. How you can just one day decide you can hate your friend and you'll cut off your livelihood to prove your point.

It's just so buried that it makes no sense other than being obscenely pretentious.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:03 AM   #59
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Original films with original scripts that aren't prequels, sequels, remakes, spiritual successors, or adaptations and are well made are rare these days. They should be celebrated in a Hollywood where everything is based off of something else because studios don't trust any one with a new idea
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 11:53 AM   #60
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Watched a few of the nominated films recently:

Banshees of Inisherin: probably my favorite of the bunch, every performance was well deserving of their nominations
Causeway: really enjoyed this and Lawrence/Henry were both great
To Leslie: Andrea Risborough was fantastic; not sure if she would have got the nom without the push though
Aftersun: liked this but wasn't totally sold on Paul Mescal's nom here. Frankie Corio was great
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote