Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2022, 03:59 PM   #661
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I am now in the market for a TV and could use some advice from the hive mind. I think OLED is the way to go, but my wife's uncertain, so what should I tell her in order to convince her to spend the extra money?

Here are some of the TV's I've looked at:

LG 77" C2 OLED - $3,997
Sony 77" A80K - $3,998
Sony 77" A80J - $3,798

Non-OLED options:

Samsung 85" QN85B - $3,498
Sony 85" X90K - $2,798
Sony 85" X85K - $2,598
Samsung 85" AU8000 - $2,498

Main use will be TV shows, hockey, and movies. Don't play a ton of video games. Room has a large window which is only a factor in the summer. Viewing distance is about 10 feet and a wide viewing angle is pretty important.
I would go 77" C2. The Sony's have a more agressive dimming when it detects static images like scoreboards whereas you can shut that feature off on the LG. So when watching hockey the Sony will start dimming. Also, the 77" C2's have excellent screen uniformity from all the panel tests I have seen. Also, the C2 is a full glossy panel as opposed to the Sony having semi gloss. The Sony will handle reflections a bit better but the glossy panel on the LG will allow more light to pass through. LG has caught up to Sony in processing and motion. LG also has Dolby Vision IQ with Precision Detail and Cinema. Sony is limited to Dolby Bright and Dark. The LG has 4 HDMI 2.1 ports but you said gaming is not a big deal so the Sony will do fine with having only 2 HDMI 2.1. I can't say enough good things about the 77" C2, I would not recommend any 65" LG OLED though as they all have a bad pink tint on the left side of the screen. 77" though is a beaut!
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 07:19 PM   #662
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I am now in the market for a TV and could use some advice from the hive mind. I think OLED is the way to go, but my wife's uncertain, so what should I tell her in order to convince her to spend the extra money?

Here are some of the TV's I've looked at:

LG 77" C2 OLED - $3,997
Sony 77" A80K - $3,998
Sony 77" A80J - $3,798

Non-OLED options:

Samsung 85" QN85B - $3,498
Sony 85" X90K - $2,798
Sony 85" X85K - $2,598
Samsung 85" AU8000 - $2,498

Main use will be TV shows, hockey, and movies. Don't play a ton of video games. Room has a large window which is only a factor in the summer. Viewing distance is about 10 feet and a wide viewing angle is pretty important.
IMO, LG and Samsungs have the nicest pictures. The LGs have deeper black, which is good for games. Samsungs have a brighter picture, which I prefer for sports and shows.

Can't go wrong either way, but for a similar setup, I went Samsung (and am very happy)

I watch more sports than anything else now, and I think Samsung is best for sports.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:53 AM   #663
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I may ask - Sony X90k vs Sony X85K. Is it worth the extra money to get the 90? 65” most likely.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:44 AM   #664
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
If I may ask - Sony X90k vs Sony X85K. Is it worth the extra money to get the 90? 65” most likely.
The site Rtings can help you compare them.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...5k/31221/31222

So I would say if you are just watching SDR and sports the 85k would be fine. If you want to enjoy HDR movies and gaming the better chipset and local dimming ability of the 90k would be worth it for sure imo.

Last edited by dissentowner; 11-07-2022 at 09:50 AM.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 02:39 PM   #665
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the room we are going to have the TV in isn't super dark & often we'll be watching with lights on, so we decided against the OLED for now... Might pick one up for the bedroom later. But today we went with the 85" Samsung QN90B. Ended up getting it for $3398 with a guarantee that if it's cheaper on Black Friday we can come back and get the difference refunded. Original retail price was over $6k so I feel like we got a pretty good deal. Can't wait to set it up and watch!

Thanks for all the advice above.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2022, 08:45 PM   #666
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like tsc.ca has mixed up the price between the C2 65" and the 55" model. I haven't bought from them before though. And Rakuten is also 11% cash back too!

https://www.tsc.ca/pages/productresu...term=lg%20oled

Last edited by chemgear; 11-11-2022 at 08:47 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 09:50 AM   #667
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I fuggin' love my 60" OLED. I can see details on a (literally) dark movie like Batman on the TV screen, even while my windows are pouring natural light into the condo during the day. I've also had comments while having parties that my Spotify is the crispest resolution they've ever seen for the visual experience in the background.

Tell your wife OLED is perfect for TV and movies. I was on the fence last year in January 2021 when I was looking around, and I'm so glad I made the OLED purchase.
Hey Muta. Musta missed it. What TV do you have?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:20 AM   #668
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the C2 Oled which was $100 off last week is now $200 off at $1400... I'm wondering if it'll get down to $1200 for black friday... if anyone sees it at that range let me know. I'm wondering if I can talk Visions into a deal, maybe.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:11 PM   #669
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So the C2 Oled which was $100 off last week is now $200 off at $1400... I'm wondering if it'll get down to $1200 for black friday... if anyone sees it at that range let me know. I'm wondering if I can talk Visions into a deal, maybe.
Where and what size?

The 65" is $2200 at Costco. I feel like it was a lot less than that in Montana this weekend but forgot to snap a picture.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:23 PM   #670
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

A C2 42" would be a nice monitor . . .
Old 11-17-2022, 10:34 AM   #671
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Where and what size?
Visions, and I think probably everywhere else... Size =
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
A C2 42" would be a nice monitor . . .
That's the plan. It is actually 900 bucks in the US... Hm.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 10:53 PM   #672
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Visions, and I think probably everywhere else... Size =

That's the plan. It is actually 900 bucks in the US... Hm.
Gonna cross post this but this Dell monitor reviews pretty well. 4K, Gsync (compatible only though), 144hz

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell...or-accessories

$750. 10% off with 10%OFFMONITOR code. AND another 10% if you have ebates/rakuten. I was thinking about doing that 42" oled but not sure I can beat that price difference and the larger size was going to be a little goofy for this particular gaming setup.

Last edited by chemgear; 11-17-2022 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:10 AM   #673
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Let me know if anyone sees the 65" TCL 6 series on sale anywhere for black Friday.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:48 AM   #674
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Costco.ca was sold out of the 65", so I had to buy the 75". I mean, that's just the rules. X90K.
Old 12-16-2022, 03:38 PM   #675
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just bought the Sony x90k on sale at Costco. Haven't turned it on yet as it needs time to warm up and dehumidify, so I can't really give an opinion on it. Assuming Costco sales are the same everywhere, it is on sale until Dec. 22.

This probably goes without saying, but don't buy a low brand like Hisense. I was suckered in by the low price and it crapped out before three years was up. At first the TV just started lagging, then the Switch stopped working on it, then after that, it just stopped working completely. Piece by piece, it just died. I swear it would have got up and kicked me in the nuts if it could. I suppose I should just be lucky it didn't catch fire and kill my family. My sister's crapped out within two years. I decided to spend a little more money this time and hopefully get something that lasts a bit longer.

This got me thinking though, what should the expected life span on new TVs be these days? Maybe my expectations are too high. I bought the extended 6 year warranty offered, which makes me think that it should be at least 6 years, but maybe not much longer considering how warranties work.
Old 12-17-2022, 01:11 AM   #676
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dosen't marter the company Oled or bust. If you haven't had the experience you won't understand.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 12:21 PM   #677
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping this, with a twist (though decided not a thread worthy twist)

Recommendations for outdoor TV?
Intend to house a regular TV in a weatherproof PVC case, where front is removed for viewing. https://stormshelltv.com/

Other than SDSR Peak Brightness (rtings category) what should I be looking for. Im trying to do this as economically at possible (for 75" TV).
Was looking at open box Samsung QN90B @ just over $1200, but this was display model and so not sure. Could buy extended warranty, but that adds another $300
Otherwise I am considering new TCL 5 series/S555 @ $764, which I like the price of a lot better, but definitely not as 'bright' by quite a bit, though pretty good considering. I expect most TV watching would be evening, but momma will strangle me if, after all this, I go to turn it on during the day and can't see ####!

Is there anything else (test wise) that should be considered?

Thanks for any thoughts
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:17 AM   #678
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post

Intend to house a regular TV in a weatherproof PVC case, where front is removed for viewing. https://stormshelltv.com/

Other than SDSR Peak Brightness (rtings category) what should I be looking for. Im trying to do this as economically at possible (for 75" TV).
Was looking at open box Samsung QN90B @ just over $1200, but this was display model and so not sure. Could buy extended warranty, but that adds another $300
Otherwise I am considering new TCL 5 series/S555 @ $764, which I like the price of a lot better, but definitely not as 'bright' by quite a bit, though pretty good considering. I expect most TV watching would be evening, but momma will strangle me if, after all this, I go to turn it on during the day and can't see ####!

Thanks for any thoughts
Based on what I've seen for outdoor TVs, I don't think there's an outdoor TV for you that will be perfect. I think you'd have to consider doing stuff to structurally block excess light from different angles so that the light doesn't wash out what you can see.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 11:43 AM   #679
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post

Thanks for any thoughts
Not the same situation, but I've had a TV outside in VA on the screened in porch for about 4-5 years now, and it's lasted without any weather proofing or anything. It's up against the house, so has lots of the porch roof for cover. When we have our big thunderstorms in the summer where it rains sideways, it gets splashed a bit. There is about 20 minutes a day where it is not very watchable when the sun hits it just right, but other than that it is fine. I didn't go for anything nearly as big as you are looking at, just got one that had decent brightness that was at a price I wouldn't be too sad writing off if it died. Direct sunlight is going to be tough to see any tv, but if you can keep the sun from hitting it directly, most TVs should be good. I'd probably value brightness over anything though, as viewing conditions are never going to be perfect.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2023, 08:42 PM   #680
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably going to go with Hisense U8H
It was as low as $1299 in May, currently at $1399 (but could get the $100 after 100 days from Hisense) . Is that a thing in Canada.
I really want(ed) the new TCL QM8 (which is out here but not yet released in Canada I don't think. It's apparently the brightest TV that places have ever tested, but rtings results still not out yet, but hard to justify the $1800 (sale) price, though it is $509 off

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 07-03-2023 at 10:54 AM.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote