Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-29-2022, 01:13 PM   #641
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I've got a Samsung series 7 curved screen TV that I bought back in 2015. It's been a great TV, picture has been awesome, I've really enjoyed it over the years. But lately its developed a sort of purple patch in the top right corner. Its not actually always noticeable but when I'm watching hockey or something with a uniform background you totally see it. Some preliminary google searches say it may be a backlight or LED issue.

Anyone have any experience with this issue? Are repairs possible at a price point that make sense, or is it time to start shopping for my next set?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 02:27 AM   #642
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Modern TVs are almost never worth repairing...especially a curved one from 7 years ago

sorry
Old 10-31-2022, 08:44 AM   #643
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Modern TVs are almost never worth repairing...especially a curved one from 7 years ago

sorry
Yeah that's what I figured. I got my money's worth out of it, not too disappointed.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:34 AM   #644
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have the TCL series 5, 65 Inch and I've gone crazy working on the settings to get the picture right. Everyone looks like pigpen moving around d because there's this weird motion aura that surrounds things that move.

I can't tell if it's a cable issue, source issue, or I just need to live with it.

I find it slightly strange because TV is fine, but anything streaming is not. Netflix the worst, followed by Amazon, then Apple TV.

Anyways, this isn't the TV complaining thread. The TCL series in my research was the best bang for your buck, so a tad frustrated with my experience so far.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 10:35 AM   #645
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

How are you streaming? Via the built in Roku or an external device?
Old 10-31-2022, 10:43 AM   #646
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I have the TCL series 5, 65 Inch and I've gone crazy working on the settings to get the picture right. Everyone looks like pigpen moving around d because there's this weird motion aura that surrounds things that move.

I can't tell if it's a cable issue, source issue, or I just need to live with it.

I find it slightly strange because TV is fine, but anything streaming is not. Netflix the worst, followed by Amazon, then Apple TV.

Anyways, this isn't the TV complaining thread. The TCL series in my research was the best bang for your buck, so a tad frustrated with my experience so far.
Do you have all the smooth motion type settings turned off for the input that streaming device is hooked to? I don't know what TCL calls them exactly, but the different motion smoothing features can create some weird artifacts.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2022, 10:43 AM   #647
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post

Sounds like it's down to your Motion Interpolation settings. Play around with those settings and see if it improves.

TV will look fine because those features are designed for to make 24p content look smoother... which means any multi-cam sitcom, for example, will look fantastic. However, it can play merry hell with anything that doesn't require it. I can't remember if the TCLs can adjust those on a per-source basis, but if not, try adjusting those and see if the Pigpen effect goes away. (And now I have a new term for when Motion Interpolation goes bad.)
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2022, 11:16 AM   #648
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks guys. I'll try that.

It's been a bit that I tried tweaking settings, but now I remember the issues that I was having.

When the motion smoothing settings were turned off there was significant judder (is that the right word?) Or skipping, especially on Netflix. Weirdly when using the Roku on the TV it was a bit better (We normally stream from a Sheild pro) That's why I started wondering if it was a cable issue or a Sheild setting issue.

My googling led me down rabbit holes of sound settings etc. It all became annoyingly overwhelming so I just settled on the PigPen settings.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 12:14 PM   #649
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Look for a firmware update. My father has the series 5 55" and complained none stop about the weird looking picture. A firmware update last week fixed the problem.

But other wise yes, disable motion settings for the input.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2022, 03:27 PM   #650
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pulled the trigger on a 65" Sony A95K for my bedroom. As a single guy that is where I watch the majority of my tv. S95B was a no go after reading all the issues on avsforum with them. Considering how much the A90J was last year paying $4500.00 for a Master series QD OLED is a bargain imo, it really is the best tv on the planet. Hopefully next year they make a 77" for living rooms. I considered the LG G2 but I am not playing the panel lottery with LG screens. Too many have too much pink tint and banding issues. The QD OLED panels uniformity are excellent. Also the sound from the speakers built into the screen are pretty much on par with a good sound bar. Just an amazing piece of technology, very happy!
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2022, 09:58 PM   #651
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
So I've got a Samsung series 7 curved screen TV that I bought back in 2015. It's been a great TV, picture has been awesome, I've really enjoyed it over the years. But lately its developed a sort of purple patch in the top right corner. Its not actually always noticeable but when I'm watching hockey or something with a uniform background you totally see it. Some preliminary google searches say it may be a backlight or LED issue.

Anyone have any experience with this issue? Are repairs possible at a price point that make sense, or is it time to start shopping for my next set?
if you get rid of it can I have the remote?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:08 AM   #652
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
if you get rid of it can I have the remote?
The original remote stopped working a few years back, so I just have a cheap replacement from Amazon, not sure it would be of any interest for you.
In any case, I've decided I'm going to stick with this TV for a bit longer and just let it degrade more before replacing it. Despite some of the purplish background spots it's still completely watchable. I'll run this thing into the ground.

The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2022, 11:12 AM   #653
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post

Degauss that MF'er!

There is no, real practical way to fix flat panels especially the curved ones. If you could even source the panel to replace it it would cost as much if not more than a new TV. You might be able to run a full field white for awhile (like hours) to even out the panel but all that really does is degrade the entire tv to "even" things out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2022, 11:34 AM   #654
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Degauss that MF'er!

There is no, real practical way to fix flat panels especially the curved ones. If you could even source the panel to replace it it would cost as much if not more than a new TV. You might be able to run a full field white for awhile (like hours) to even out the panel but all that really does is degrade the entire tv to "even" things out.
From my quick research on the issue it sounds like it is the backlight, not the panel. They apparently can be replaced, but a PITA.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:37 AM   #655
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
From my quick research on the issue it sounds like it is the backlight, not the panel. They apparently can be replaced, but a PITA.
I really just wanted to say "degauss" since the opportunity does not come up as often as it use to.

LED backlit panels can be fixed but you go into anything like that prepared to spend time and buy a new TV when you mess up. Also assume parts are available.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2022, 11:40 AM   #656
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I really just wanted to say "degauss" since the opportunity does not come up as often as it use to.

LED backlit panels can be fixed but you go into anything like that prepared to spend time and buy a new TV when you mess up. Also assume parts are available.
I would never think to repair it myself, but I was thinking maybe a repair shop could do it for a few hundred or something. I haven't actually looked into it though. Now I'm just leaning to letting it gradually get worse and I'll replace it with an OLED when its time. As mentioned above I've had this thing for well over 7 years now, so there's no real need to throw money at it to keep it going.

Old 11-03-2022, 01:49 PM   #657
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am now in the market for a TV and could use some advice from the hive mind. I think OLED is the way to go, but my wife's uncertain, so what should I tell her in order to convince her to spend the extra money?

Here are some of the TV's I've looked at:

LG 77" C2 OLED - $3,997
Sony 77" A80K - $3,998
Sony 77" A80J - $3,798

Non-OLED options:

Samsung 85" QN85B - $3,498
Sony 85" X90K - $2,798
Sony 85" X85K - $2,598
Samsung 85" AU8000 - $2,498

Main use will be TV shows, hockey, and movies. Don't play a ton of video games. Room has a large window which is only a factor in the summer. Viewing distance is about 10 feet and a wide viewing angle is pretty important.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 01:56 PM   #658
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I fuggin' love my 60" OLED. I can see details on a (literally) dark movie like Batman on the TV screen, even while my windows are pouring natural light into the condo during the day. I've also had comments while having parties that my Spotify is the crispest resolution they've ever seen for the visual experience in the background.

Tell your wife OLED is perfect for TV and movies. I was on the fence last year in January 2021 when I was looking around, and I'm so glad I made the OLED purchase.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2022, 02:10 PM   #659
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I am now in the market for a TV and could use some advice from the hive mind. I think OLED is the way to go, but my wife's uncertain, so what should I tell her in order to convince her to spend the extra money?

Here are some of the TV's I've looked at:

LG 77" C2 OLED - $3,997
Sony 77" A80K - $3,998
Sony 77" A80J - $3,798

Non-OLED options:

Samsung 85" QN85B - $3,498
Sony 85" X90K - $2,798
Sony 85" X85K - $2,598
Samsung 85" AU8000 - $2,498

Main use will be TV shows, hockey, and movies. Don't play a ton of video games. Room has a large window which is only a factor in the summer. Viewing distance is about 10 feet and a wide viewing angle is pretty important.
I have no good opinion on TV, but I'm guessing at 10ft away 85" is maybe too big.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2022, 02:19 PM   #660
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

With my wife, the wow factor of the OLED TV's in-store was enough to positively influence the wife acceptability factor.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post: