Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Bluetooth Audio Sync Issue

No one needs a long preamble, so to cut to the point, when watching Netflix on my Surface tablet (and other media generally) using bluetooth ear buds, there is a noticable offset between audio and video....

Any easy fixes?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my experience bluetooth gives little options for troubleshooting. It's like a 1/2 chance anything works with another device. How this is still a standard technology is beyond me
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

What kind of bluetooth ear buds are you using?

One issue with bluetooth audio is the audio data being transmitted there will always be some latency when the audio is being transmitted to the earbuds.

One of the solutions is using aptX Low Latency enabled bluetooth headphones/earbuds. This is essentially a codec that compresses audio data further to help minimize the latency. The problem with aptX LL is that both the bluetooth transmitter (your surface) and receiver (your earbuds) must have aptX capability.

If you are using a cheap or older pair of earbuds they may not be compatible with the aptX LL. Your surface probably already supports it.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 06:34 PM   #4
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've had issues where comm channels get activated for whatever reason on my headset this lowers the audio quality and increases the bandwidth, which can cause all sorts of issues. So unless I need it I shut off the mic on the blue tooth device setting (windows they call them services)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:20 PM   #5
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
What kind of bluetooth ear buds are you using?

One issue with bluetooth audio is the audio data being transmitted there will always be some latency when the audio is being transmitted to the earbuds.

One of the solutions is using aptX Low Latency enabled bluetooth headphones/earbuds. This is essentially a codec that compresses audio data further to help minimize the latency. The problem with aptX LL is that both the bluetooth transmitter (your surface) and receiver (your earbuds) must have aptX capability.

If you are using a cheap or older pair of earbuds they may not be compatible with the aptX LL. Your surface probably already supports it.
I'm using a set of Jaybird Runs
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
I'm using a set of Jaybird Runs
Looks like they are not aptX LL compatible and designed for listening only rather than watching in-sync video.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/jaybird/run

Quote:
The Jaybird Run earbuds have more latency than typical Bluetooth headsets which makes them poorly suited for watching movies and gaming.
edit:
Looks like none of Jaybird's products use aptX. Don't know if you can use their app or something to adjust the settings on the earbuds to try and lower the latency by turning some options off.

Last edited by sureLoss; 01-28-2019 at 11:04 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: