Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-11-2021, 02:26 PM   #1
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Adam Ruzicka

22 years old, 6'4" and 202 lbs.

He has started the AHL season on a tear scoring 12 points in 9 games. He has shown progression in each of the 2 previous AHL campaigns and seemed to progress each year in junior. He played 3 NHL games last season, getting one assist and a +2 rating. He has also been mentioned as a possible member of the Slovakian Olympic team this year.

So is this guy ready to start learning in the NHL?
Old 11-11-2021, 03:01 PM   #2
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very promising that he's putting up the numbers. Is footspeed holding him back? Can he use his size effectively in a bottom 6 role?

The flames will run into injury problems this season. Gotta think he's high on the call up list. Hope he gets another cup of coffee this year.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:36 PM   #3
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

He didn't look very good in his NHL stint last season, but that's to be expected I guess. Definitely looked slow.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Dube moving to the wing, might make sense to call up Ruzicka for an opportunity to play in the NHL.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was worried about his progress last season, he got a ton of points in a few games (4gp 12p) early in the season but had a pretty lack-luster year outside of that (24gp 9p). Looking at just the box scores this year, it looks like he's really benefited from Pelletier being added to the team, so it's hard to say who's really stirring the drink there.

I think he needs to marinate in the AHL some more to build confidence and try and keep building off his current play. For all his strengths he's still a pretty fragile prospect, but if he keeps it up he'll be a strong candidate for later season call up.

Last edited by Matata; 11-12-2021 at 09:16 AM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:06 AM   #6
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

He needs to play with skilled players. Look no further than Bennett. No point in bringing him up to play on the fourth line.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #7
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he's a tweener. Will score at the AHL level but doesn't have the skill set and ability to play at NHL pace.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 02:34 PM   #8
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think he has all the tools and if can push himself he’ll get to the show. Should make his Olympic team.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:58 PM   #9
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is he more than a new Jankowski ?
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #10
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
He didn't look very good in his NHL stint last season, but that's to be expected I guess. Definitely looked slow.
I thought the Lucic-Ruzicka-Phillips line looked outstanding. 0.53 xGF 0.12 xGA (82% xG) in 9:13 icetime

I would have loved to see that whole line get more runway this year in meaningful games.

Lucic and Phillips really complemented each other and Ruzicka seemed to fit in like a glove.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2021, 02:07 PM   #11
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only issue I have had with Ruzicka is 'effort'. He is turning it around. He is definitely not a tweener lol. He seems to be much more consistent with his effort, and if he keeps it up, he will be an everyday NHL'er. 2nd-3rd line centre I would say. I wonder what Sutter can do with him over the course of a season. Eventually there will be injuries and perhaps he will get some runway to show what he can do.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:19 PM   #12
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think he's a tweener. Will score at the AHL level but doesn't have the skill set and ability to play at NHL pace.
This is based off of what, the 3 NHL games he's skated in thus far? Ruzicka has quietly put up 20G and 36 points in his last 39 AHL games. These are big numbers for any player let alone one of his stature and moving him along should definitely be explored by the big club.

With this team getting nothing offensively from it's bottom 6 there isn't much to lose and a lot to gain here. Nobody is suggesting he's a star in the making but he certainly could carve out a role similar to players like Lewis, Ritchie, Richardson and Pitlick with a much higher upside in terms of finishing.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 11-18-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote