Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2022, 10:47 PM   #5581
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I liked it a lot better than the music box doc on hbo, which felt like it was trying way too hard to be woke and blame it on some weird white racial angst. The reality was there was no single cause, it was a perfect storm of #### ups and mob mentality.
The promoters incubated the disaster easily.

250k ppl, zero ground crew because they farmed out the sanitation to private firms who didn't have the man power, no proper security because anti authoritarianism , no safe spaces, no shade, 300 acres of tarmac.

Price gouging, and then sheer indignance from the top two organizers when the ship was sinking.

That show was dead before it even started. Then they plowed through it regardless.

Like when half your production crew are all screaming "you're gonna do what!?" When they handed out those candles. Yeah..

Last edited by dammage79; 08-03-2022 at 10:56 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:07 PM   #5582
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty odd they didn't mention the Metallica set after Limp B where a guy actually died...unless I fell asleep and missed it which is possible
Old 08-03-2022, 11:11 PM   #5583
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Pretty odd they didn't mention the Metallica set after Limp B where a guy actually died...unless I fell asleep and missed it which is possible
Official reports say three people died - Two drug overdoses and a clean up tractor ran over someone in a sleeping bag.

I don't see any mention of a death during Metallica's set, anywhere.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:42 PM   #5584
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Official reports say three people died - Two drug overdoses and a clean up tractor ran over someone in a sleeping bag.

I don't see any mention of a death during Metallica's set, anywhere.
David DeRosia was pulled unconscious from the mosh pit during Metallica's set and died 2 days later in hospital. Its common knowledge there are articles about it everywhere, his mom sued the organizers.

Documentary acts like limp b ended the night for the main stage (Limp B scapegoat angle every documentary needs I guess)...the lineup that night was

Limp B
Rage against the Machine
Metallica

surprised they don't blame Metallica for finishing with Seek and Destroy

Also, rose colored glasses for the original Woodstock where multiple people died, hells angels beat the #### out of people, plenty of rapes to be sure

Last edited by dino7c; 08-03-2022 at 11:48 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 02:28 AM   #5585
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I liked it a lot better than the music box doc on hbo, which felt like it was trying way too hard to be woke and blame it on some weird white racial angst. The reality was there was no single cause, it was a perfect storm of #### ups and mob mentality.
The music box one really bothered me for that, and also hammering on the exploitation of women by the festival and festival goers, while doing it themselves showing about a thousand different women in some sort of nakedness, which had no real need for the narrative
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:46 AM   #5586
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm I guess I should watch that documentary.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:45 AM   #5587
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
David DeRosia was pulled unconscious from the mosh pit during Metallica's set and died 2 days later in hospital. Its common knowledge there are articles about it everywhere, his mom sued the organizers.

Documentary acts like limp b ended the night for the main stage (Limp B scapegoat angle every documentary needs I guess)...the lineup that night was

Limp B
Rage against the Machine
Metallica

Also, rose colored glasses for the original Woodstock where multiple people died, hells angels beat the #### out of people, plenty of rapes to be sure
But the love was supposed to be free tho?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:46 PM   #5588
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It certainly was a trip seeing Rick the Temp and Ed the Sock.
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajr4013 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 11:25 PM   #5589
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You're thinking Altamont. I don't think they were at Woodstock.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 11:40 PM   #5590
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
You're thinking Altamont. I don't think they were at Woodstock.
Happened at both, source? the old man

Altamont was well known as they were actually hired as security

Last edited by dino7c; 08-04-2022 at 11:43 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2022, 10:54 AM   #5591
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr4013 View Post
It certainly was a trip seeing Rick the Temp and Ed the Sock.
What a time to be alive.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-05-2022, 12:16 PM   #5592
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Limp B
Rage against the Machine
Metallica

Yeah, I find it disingenuous to blame Limp Bizkit for that.

Sure, they may not have helped per se, but all they did was their job. They played their music and put on a show, that was probably just a standard set for them.

They're not the ones who boozed and drugged up a quarter-million hung-over, and tired trapped people all day, with high heat, little food and water or bathroom facilities and then ran a musical lineup of up-tempo hard-metal to a disaffected generation.

They keep talking about these events and interviewing the organizers and not really pointing the finger at the right people.

I really wonder if to be an event organizer being a completely out-of-touch idiot is actually in the job description.

Maybe middle-aged white dudes in a downtown office boardroom shouldnt be the ones primarily in charge for designing an event for youths.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 06:30 AM   #5593
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
The Gray Man was enjoyable despite a silly story. Felt like a Bourne rip off with some Russo brothers Avengers style quippy dialog. The action was solid and I appreciated the ending wasn’t as predictable as expected. 7/10.

Did anyone else think Agent 6 must have had the same lawyer as Nic Cage in Con Air? No way should they have gone to jail.
As someone who's a huge fan of the gray man series I agree with a 7/10 rating. Does anyone know why these guys always have to change the story when they do a movie adaptation?

Ryan Gosling was better than I expected as the gray man, but it seemed like they really glossed over his backstory in the movie, which was a fantastic multi book arc in the series. Maybe it was me being let down but it never felt like they did any justice to the "gray man" moniker, for those that haven't read the books did you feel like the movie explained it at all?

Just like the Mitch Rapp movie adaptation (American Assassin) they changed the origin of the main character and I can't for the life of me figure out why they cut out the most important part of the character development.

Recommend both book series!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:49 PM   #5594
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anybody watch the Sandman show? I've watched 8 episodes so far and I'm really enjoying it.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 01:57 PM   #5595
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm 6 episodes through Sandman and loving it as well. Trying not to do a full binge so I can enjoy it longer.

The comic is one of my favourite series. I don't mind the changes they've made and keeps things interesting for people who think they know where it's going.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 02:07 PM   #5596
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

On episode four of Sandman. Great so far.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:58 PM   #5597
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tenet on Netflix >>> Tenet on Crave.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:35 PM   #5598
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Happened at both, source? the old man

Altamont was well known as they were actually hired as security
And I think they actually killed a dude in Altamont

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:36 PM   #5599
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, I find it disingenuous to blame Limp Bizkit for that.

Sure, they may not have helped per se, but all they did was their job. They played their music and put on a show, that was probably just a standard set for them.

They're not the ones who boozed and drugged up a quarter-million hung-over, and tired trapped people all day, with high heat, little food and water or bathroom facilities and then ran a musical lineup of up-tempo hard-metal to a disaffected generation.

They keep talking about these events and interviewing the organizers and not really pointing the finger at the right people.

I really wonder if to be an event organizer being a completely out-of-touch idiot is actually in the job description.

Maybe middle-aged white dudes in a downtown office boardroom shouldnt be the ones primarily in charge for designing an event for youths.
The major issue with organizing festivals is that you need someone with basic sense and practical experience in organizing events who is also somewhat aware of current culture. Harder combo than you'd think to find.

Hippies who have no idea how finance and logistics work have an equally bad record of organizing festivals as middle-aged white dude in downtown offices.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:02 PM   #5600
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I'm 6 episodes through Sandman and loving it as well. Trying not to do a full binge so I can enjoy it longer.

The comic is one of my favourite series. I don't mind the changes they've made and keeps things interesting for people who think they know where it's going.
Patton Oswald is terrible.