Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2021, 01:47 PM   #5321
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I used to think Chapelle was funny, then he went after my thing, now I just don't know...
green text?

I love that he made fun of Trumpers, Trans, Gays, Blacks, Whites, Jews, all in the same special

people on both sides were all
Old 10-20-2021, 01:02 PM   #5322
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Just watched the Chappelle special. I didn't find it all that funny honestly. It had moments, and I'm a huge fan of his other work, but he just focused to much on the LGTBQ thing, to the point it verged on bullying. I actually thought he had a good point about issues with race no taking precedent in the USA during the last special, and the jokes he made on the issue were pretty funny.

I don't think Chappelle has lost it in any way, he just needs to come up with some different material. He's leaning too far into the controversy he created from his previous specials. Chappelle it at his best when describing the absurdity of the situations he gets himself into. I found the bits about Kevin Hart from his last special hilarious. He's great pointing out the absurdity of people with overzealous politics too, but this latest special just felt like he focused too much on the one issue.

Chappelle also likely sees it as a way to attack back at the people who were, at least partially, responsible for the suicide of Daphne Dorman. That's more of a serious conversation that Chappelle needs to have and doesn't make the best fodder for a comedy special.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 01:08 PM   #5323
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

This provides some good context for the terrible English acting in Squid Game. It's hard to blame the actors too much when they have zero context for the characters and the editors won't even use the best takes

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...quid-game-vips
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 01:32 PM   #5324
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Watched Chapelle's last special, and he's treading into insufferable territory now. He obviously gets off on being controversial and his ego is the size of a small planet. I hope he takes a few years off now, his current schtick is getting very old
He did state at the end of the special that he won't discuss the topic again until he's able to laugh with the LGBTQ community. Hopefully, that means he'll stop making content on the issue and even engage with the LGBTQ community. I think he has some very fair points within his content about cancel culture and race relations in the USA. I do think he also needs to admit he's been wrong on some stuff too and just back off.

His biggest point is about competing rights between minority groups and civil liberty rights. There's very valid points to make there, but you always have to be respectful of the groups who have their own suffering. Discrimination isn't a contest where the most discriminated group gets to attack the other groups.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 02:43 PM   #5325
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I don't think Chappelle has lost it in any way, he just needs to come up with some different material. He's leaning too far into the controversy he created from his previous specials. Chappelle it at his best when describing the absurdity of the situations he gets himself into. I found the bits about Kevin Hart from his last special hilarious. He's great pointing out the absurdity of people with overzealous politics too, but this latest special just felt like he focused too much on the one issue.
Yeah exactly. I still think he's got it too, I wasn't offended by it or anything like that. It just didn't really feel like a standup special to me.

Especially these days with how crazy everything is with Covid and politics everywhere, I value a good laugh before bed more than ever, that's what I was looking for with this. Kind of an escape from the absurdity of the world before dozing off (Norm wormholes have been great for this). Instead it felt like getting pulled through it yet again. Fair enough if that's what people like in a comedian; debating political & social issues. It's just not what I'm looking for at all, I don't recall him being like that back in the day either.

Hopefully he goes back to his roots as you mentioned and gets away from the battle, I don't think he's washed or anything like that. Perhaps he just need a break.

Last edited by Sainters7; 10-20-2021 at 02:45 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 03:02 PM   #5326
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Watched Dave Chappelle special and wow that was the worst comedy I have ever watched.

Dave Chappelle has been my favorite comedian ever but that was just lazy bad comedy.
I found this as well - it’s one thing to be offensive, to push boundaries yadda yadda.

I had never seen a Dave Chapelle special as witless and lazy as this one.

It certainly bolstered my belief that otherworldly success and fame is the enemy of comedy.

And this was what, his 4th Netflix special?

I get that he was away for a long time, but nobody has 4 specials worth of interesting things to say in a 3 or 4 year span.

Tell some jokes, guys. Disappear into the material. If they can’t find you, they can’t dislike you.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:13 PM   #5327
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I found this as well - it’s one thing to be offensive, to push boundaries yadda yadda.

I had never seen a Dave Chapelle special as witless and lazy as this one.

It certainly bolstered my belief that otherworldly success and fame is the enemy of comedy.

And this was what, his 4th Netflix special?

I get that he was away for a long time, but nobody has 4 specials worth of interesting things to say in a 3 or 4 year span.

Tell some jokes, guys. Disappear into the material. If they can’t find you, they can’t dislike you.
Thing is, Chappelle didn't give a #### about being offensive or dislikable. This was a keystone special with respect to his contract with Netflix. Respectfully disagreeing with it being lazy and witless, this was the most thoughtful and provoking special he has done.

This was the 6th special he has done for Netflix, and it's a comprehensive experience. Consider that most top comedians produce a special every 2 years. 6 specials in 5 years, recognizing he took a 10 year break between 2005 and 2015, it felt in line (if not a bit light).

I would suggest people appreciate The Closer in the same way they appreciate Life is Worth Losing by George Carlin. It's the same energy.

I don't blame people for being disappointed. This isn't a typical stand-up comedy special. Norm Macdonald is universally praised by fans and the comedy community for believing in a joke regardless of what people think about it. Dave Chappelle is condemned for it.

Chappelle is shining a hard, bright light on society and privilege today and everyone is upset because he included a few trigger words. I'm thankful to experience his comedy in relative real-time. Something genuine in a world of insincerity is very refreshing.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 06:59 AM   #5328
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

A thread with a bunch of stuff being added in November. Tiger King 2? Good to see the Bourne movies added.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1451170206089371651
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:25 AM   #5329
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Only seasons 1-5 of Everybody Loves Raymond? What the F am I supposed to do after I burn through those in a weekend?
Old 10-21-2021, 10:41 AM   #5330
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Only seasons 1-5 of Everybody Loves Raymond? What the F am I supposed to do after I burn through those in a weekend?
find a good show to watch.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 11:29 AM   #5331
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
A thread with a bunch of stuff being added in November. Tiger King 2? Good to see the Bourne movies added.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1451170206089371651
Looking forward to F is for Family considering cartoons are the only ones allowed to make jokes these days

Big mouth too

The people protesting outside Netflix offices should be protesting Tiger King 2
Old 10-21-2021, 03:10 PM   #5332
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
considering cartoons are the only ones allowed to make jokes these days
Lol what?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:14 PM   #5333
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Lol what?
Been living under a rock? People are picketing the Netflix offices trying to get Dave Chappelle taken off netflix.

Meanwhile South Park, Family Guy, F is for Family, ect. have said much worse

Never in a million years could you do a show like Big Mouth if it wasn't animated

South Park is nominated for an Oscar yet Kevin Hart can't host because he told a gay joke

I enjoy that animated shows can still push the envelope

Last edited by dino7c; 10-21-2021 at 03:21 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:14 PM   #5334
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Chappelle is shining a hard, bright light on society and privilege today and everyone is upset because he included a few trigger words. I'm thankful to experience his comedy in relative real-time. Something genuine in a world of insincerity is very refreshing.
This post is the same energy has hipsters who pick the most obscure album in a band's catalogue as their favourite, and then say "it's just too deep for most people to appreciate."
Old 10-21-2021, 03:17 PM   #5335
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Been living under a rock? People are picketing the Netflix offices trying to get Dave Chappelle taken off netflix.
None of their demands included removing Chappelle from the service. Try again, sparky.

https://screenrant.com/netflix-walko...-demands-list/

Quote:
Now, Netflix employees have moved forward with their walkout and rally, which over 100 protesters participated in. While their demands weren't initially clear, organizers read out a list of asks that will be presented to Netflix's CEO Ted Sarandos, including removing all references and imagery of Chappelle inside the workplace, acknowledgment that The Closer has caused harm to the trans community, and more investment in trans content on the platform. Read the the protesters' full list of demands below, per Deadline:

Eliminate references/imagery of Chappelle inside of the workplace, including but not limited to murals, posters, room names, swag;

Acknowledgement that the special causes harm to the trans community and Netflix’s responsibility on it so we keep the conversation around transphobia evolving internally;

Trans and non-binary content investment
Investment in trans or non-binary content on Netflix comparable to our total investment in transphobic content, including comparable investment in the promotion of content

The comparable class of investments should include but not be limited to works produced by Dave Chappelle (such as the investment in “The Closer” and “Sticks and Stones”), Ricky Gervais’ After Life, etc.
Investment in multiple trans creators to make both scripted and unscripted programs across genres;

Revisit internal processes on commissioning and/or releasing potential harmful content, involving numerous and diverse parties that can speak on its harm, including consultation on 3rd party venders;

Revisit the ERG role in conversations around potential harmful content and develop materials to ensure we have the best in class regional support on complicated diversity issues
Hire transgender content executives in leading positions and promote and inclusive environment for them;

Recruit trans people for leadership roles in the company (director, VP, etc) and promote and inclusive environment for them;

The ability for Trans* employees and allies to be able to remove themselves from company promotional content (e.g. allyship videos, etc.);

A disclaimer before The Closer specifically saying it contains transphobic language, misogyny, homophobia, and hate speech;

Boost promotion for Disclosure and other trans-affirming titles in the platform.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #5336
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This post is the same energy has hipsters who pick the most obscure album in a band's catalogue as their favourite, and then say "it's just too deep for most people to appreciate."
Cool. Thanks for the feedback.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 03:25 PM   #5337
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
None of their demands included removing Chappelle from the service. Try again, sparky.

https://screenrant.com/netflix-walko...-demands-list/
Some of those demands are ridiculous...also, employee's aren't the only ones out there, there are certainly people calling for it to be pulled down. (and people saying STFU its a joke)

The fact that we are even talking about it proves my point sparky...animated characters can make jokes without major backlash. I enjoy those programs.

You say what lol but know exactly what I'm talking about
Old 10-21-2021, 03:29 PM   #5338
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some of those demands are ridiculous...also, employee's aren't the only ones out there, there are certainly people calling for it to be pulled down.
So what? People call for things to be made illegal, cancelled, etc., all the time. It doesn't mean you're no longer allowed to do those things just because some people yell about it.

Quote:
The fact that we are even talking about it proves my point sparky...animated characters can make jokes without major backlash.
Good point. South Park, The Simpsons, Family Guy, etc., have never faced any controversies whatsoever. Definitely not Big Mouth either.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...troversy.html/
Old 10-21-2021, 03:37 PM   #5339
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maid is actually really solid, forgotten in the squid game hype
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 05:23 PM   #5340
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So what? People call for things to be made illegal, cancelled, etc., all the time. It doesn't mean you're no longer allowed to do those things just because some people yell about it.

Good point. South Park, The Simpsons, Family Guy, etc., have never faced any controversies whatsoever. Definitely not Big Mouth either.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...troversy.html/
Difference is south park/big mouth ect. keep pushing...comedians are often forced to back off.

Kevin Hart is canceled at the Oscars, Rosanne taken off the Rosanne show of all things.

I don't care if you agree or not, I enjoy animated stuff because they cross the line instead of tip towing around people looking for something to be offended by.