Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #4701
bigtmac19
Franchise Player
 
bigtmac19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Exp:
Default

Holy cow I just watched Athlete A on Netflix. I knew of this story but not the depth of it. So disturbing and disgusting.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 11:11 AM   #4702
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

And if you want to further be disgusted watch the doc on HBO. It’s probably similar content but delves into how USA gymnastics was not only complicit but actively covered up his abuses. So did Michigan State. It’s ####ed. Those people deserve to die. Seriously.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #4703
Matata
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Exp:
Default

The new netflix movie "Cuties" criticizes the overt sexualization of little girls by.... overtly sexualizing little girls. Netflix is taking a lot of heat, #CancelNetflix was the #1 trend on twitter, until twitter manually removed it. Their stock price dipped a bit, but is already recovering. They were facing a lot of pressure not to release it, but released it anyways and it sounds like it's way worse than initially feared, people are claiming scenes in the movie fit the legal definition of child porn and US congress is now looking into it. I get grossed out looking at blurred images of the movie in articles about so I cant confirm how bad it actually is, but my SO and I are grossed out enough to be cancelling our account.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...s-b432131.html
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #4704
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Yeah I’ve read the descriptions and it’s messed up. Kids dancing like they’re auditioning for the sequel to showgirls wearing nothing but a skimpy leotard.

To make it worse, apparently there are a ton of shots where the filmaker (a woman I believe) zooms in super close to the children nether regions to like “see isn’t this practically child porn!” While basically making pedo material while they’re at it. So ####ed up.

Between this, and Disney publicly lamenting the fact their CCP indoctrination movie isn’t doing well because they explicitly supported the region of China that is conducting an active genocide, and Amazon being literally pure evil, I don’t feel real good about any of the streaming services right now.

I should add, a lot of sources are claiming this is part of the QAnon conspiracy BS and the whole Pizzagate, Hilary is part of a child sex ring etc. In which case, that’s equally ####ed.

I may have to just watch it to make an informed opinion.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-12-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #4705
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Ok I’ve seen all I need to see. IMO it is definitely exploitive and not “gritty shocking” like Kids or Bully or Thirteen etc.

what ####ing parents read that script and were like “oh you want to put my 12 year old in a tube top and daisy dukes and have her dance like Cardi B? Sure, how much?!?”
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:07 PM   #4706
zamler
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

Quite the up/down vote ratio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0O7lLe4SmA

.....wait this movie is rated for mature audiences. WTF? It gets even better (worse) RT critics generally LOVE the movie, 3% audience score
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cuties

This should prove that these so called critics are sick, sick people.

Last edited by zamler; 09-12-2020 at 05:11 PM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:16 PM   #4707
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player
 
WhiteTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Ok I’ve seen all I need to see. IMO it is definitely exploitive and not “gritty shocking” like Kids or Bully or Thirteen etc.

what ####ing parents read that script and were like “oh you want to put my 12 year old in a tube top and daisy dukes and have her dance like Cardi B? Sure, how much?!?”
I was wondering much the same thing. "Are folks over-reacting to this? It can't be that bad, can it?"

I caught a 2 minute clip of the supposedly final dance, in the blue outfits from the original shot.

I was so disgusted and uncomfortable I couldn't finish watching that CLIP! I can't think of a single other movie I have ever had that kind of reaction to.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #4708
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Seeing how Netflix marketed the movie, that poster is so suggestive I won’t even post it here, definitely swayed my opinion a bit.

Watching the first dance scene I could find, it seemed intentional but part of the story. The closeups were framed intentionally with cuts back to the little girl to clearly show us that it’s meant to be her eyes we’re seeing thru and how she’s being influenced by these other girls.

Then I skipped to the dance that is set to a song called Bum Bum? And is with all girls and basically a 2 min music video with no artistic merit whatsoever. It’s feels like it’s meant to push the definition of artistic film vs child porn. It’s just gross. And not gross in a “makes you think” kind of way. More like I shouldn’t have clicked that, I wonder if I should clear my search history and preemptively contact the FBI.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #4709
zamler
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

What/who is the target demographic for this movie? Who wants to watch this?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:23 PM   #4710
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I was wondering much the same thing. "Are folks over-reacting to this? It can't be that bad, can it?"

I caught a 2 minute clip of the supposedly final dance, in the blue outfits from the original shot.

I was so disgusted and uncomfortable I couldn't finish watching that CLIP! I can't think of a single other movie I have ever had that kind of reaction to.

I was the same as you, I got less then a minute into that and left, it was disgusting and creepy and they had the smiling older judges watching along.



I felt really dirty.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:36 PM   #4711
btimbit
Franchise Player
 
btimbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SW Calgary
Exp:
Default

Yeah I checked it out just to see what the big deal is.

The criticism is deserved. Who actually wants to watch this?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:23 PM   #4712
Yamer
Franchise Player
 
Yamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Red Deer
Exp:
Default

I watched it and I can understand the criticism, but I do believe it is a major overreaction. The unabashed sexualization was kind of the point; it was supposed to make people uncomfortable. It made me cringe. We should be uncomfortable and reflecting on how young girls are and want to be sexualized at such an early age, despite them not being able to comprehend how problematic that is for them. How they chose to get that message across was visceral, but I don't see the call for the level of outrage. These competitions are happening in the manner they're depicted in the movie...that should be where the conversation starts.

It's strange that people are complaining about scenes like the condom balloon but don't make a fuss about the film Good Boys. That was a coming-of-age comedy that was rife with its sexual overtones. Frankly, I've seen worse from the US version of Shameless, which routinely sexualized and showed nudity of children as young as 13 (nudity was of 18+ actors).
__________________
"It's a great day for hockey."
-'Badger' Bob Johnson (1931-1991)

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:57 PM   #4713
Nyah
First Line Centre
 
Nyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Kilt & Caber
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I watched it and I can understand the criticism, but I do believe it is a major overreaction. The unabashed sexualization was kind of the point; it was supposed to make people uncomfortable. It made me cringe. We should be uncomfortable and reflecting on how young girls are and want to be sexualized at such an early age, despite them not being able to comprehend how problematic that is for them.
I have to strongly disagree. This is like saying that it's okay to abuse animals when making a movie about animal abuse. These child actors cannot comprehend how their art is going to carry on through their lives. I've watched parts of the movie and it's really, really gratuitous. There's no reason to zoom in and linger the camera on an 11 year old girls bum while she's twerking on the floor. There's no reason to show a kid twerking and showing how she can move her hips to an older man. No reason for a pre-teen girl to whip her pants down on film and take a photo of her crotch. Literally no reason at all...I don't give a #### what the context is. It's exploitative.

I feel like the subject matter is absolutely something that needs to be talked about, but it needs to be done without exploiting young girls, probably in the form of a documentary. It's hard to think about, but this is absolutely going to be used grossly by pedos. Adult actresses are able to reconcile and understand how some scenes they chose to be a part of will be used and re-posted. These girls are pre-teens. We aren't even talking about teenagers, these girls are children...kids.

What bothers me the most about this is that people on Twitter have made this out to be a QAnon thing. It's like you can't object to the gratuitous over sexualization of girls without being a Q supporter?? Gross.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:05 PM   #4714
zamler
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
We should be uncomfortable and reflecting on how young girls are and want to be sexualized at such an early age, despite them not being able to comprehend how problematic that is for them.
Reflecting? What? So the only way to "reflect" is make a movie showing under age girls in sexual ways? WTF? And you think pedos will give a toss what the context is apparently supposed to be? Next you're going to tell me being a pedo is the same as sexual preference.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #4715
Yamer
Franchise Player
 
Yamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Red Deer
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I have to strongly disagree. This is like saying that it's okay to abuse animals when making a movie about animal abuse. These child actors cannot comprehend how their art is going to carry on through their lives. I've watched parts of the movie and it's really, really gratuitous. There's no reason to zoom in and linger the camera on an 11 year old girls bum while she's twerking on the floor. There's no reason to show a kid twerking and showing how she can move her hips to an older man. No reason for a pre-teen girl to whip her pants down on film and take a photo of her crotch. Literally no reason at all...I don't give a #### what the context is. It's exploitative.

I feel like the subject matter is absolutely something that needs to be talked about, but it needs to be done without exploiting young girls, probably in the form of a documentary. It's hard to think about, but this is absolutely going to be used grossly by pedos. Adult actresses are able to reconcile and understand how some scenes they chose to be a part of will be used and re-posted. These girls are pre-teens. We aren't even talking about teenagers, these girls are children...kids.
Well, no, that's not really the same. I think our interpretation of abuse and exploitation are much different. However, I agree that it if it were me I would have approached the subject matter from the medium of a documentary. I would guess it wouldn't get near the attention a cinematic film would, and I'm assuming the producers were going for a broader appeal.

And yes, there are reasons for that type of cinematography and no, they're not for the reasons most are seeing. That's not the audience's fault, though, because that's what the camera is intending. It's where the characters are wanting you to look. It's inevitable when children are permitted and encouraged to perform in a such a highly sexualized environment. Again, that isn't saying that it is right (it's not). There's a myriad of reasons why these competitions and marketing of sex and adulthood towards children is damaging. The characters clearly don't understand the impact of their wardrobe and hyper-sexualization. I would give the child actors more credit, though. It's disingenuous to proclaim there's no reason and the children are simply being exploited.

I consume a lot of media, so perhaps I'm desensitized to a greater degree than most. Still, I don't see this film warranting the outrage it is receiving and I feel just as uncomfortable with certain blockbusters and primetime television. Of course, they don't get the same attention (understandably), but I still feel gross watching implied underage nudity in a transparently sexualized context on Showtime.

It's not my kind of film for sure, but I would hold the line on calling it pedophilic or exploitative. Pedos are not going to Netflix to produce, distribute, and consume material. I would expect this is pretty vanilla fare for those kinds of people.
__________________
"It's a great day for hockey."
-'Badger' Bob Johnson (1931-1991)

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #4716
btimbit
Franchise Player
 
btimbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SW Calgary
Exp:
Default

You can shine a light on it without doing exactly what you're trying to expose

I'm not about to shout down netflix on twitter or cancel my subscription in faux outrage, but I can't deny, the film is ####ed
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 09:19 PM   #4717
Yamer
Franchise Player
 
Yamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Red Deer
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Reflecting? What? So the only way to "reflect" is make a movie showing under age girls in sexual ways? WTF? And you think pedos will give a toss what the context is apparently supposed to be? Next you're going to tell me being a pedo is the same as sexual preference.
I never said this is the only way to call attention to this aspect of society.

Pump the brakes. I know this is extremely upsetting for anyone with a conscience, but I would greatly appreciate you not putting words in my mouth or interpreting my intentions, especially regarding this topic.
__________________
"It's a great day for hockey."
-'Badger' Bob Johnson (1931-1991)

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 09:27 PM   #4718
zamler
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I never said this is the only way to call attention to this aspect of society.

Pump the brakes. I know this is extremely upsetting for anyone with a conscience, but I would greatly appreciate you not putting words in my mouth or interpreting my intentions, especially regarding this topic.
I don't accept any defence of this film, don't accept any context where it's "not that bad". Am not going to apologize for that. And I think I took your words exactly as they were written and did not misinterpret them.

There is no "pump the brakes" for me here.

In fact reading your post again, if anything I am under reacting to it.
Quote:
I watched it and I can understand the criticism, but I do believe it is a major overreaction. The unabashed sexualization was kind of the point; it was supposed to make people uncomfortable. It made me cringe. We should be uncomfortable and reflecting on how young girls are and want to be sexualized at such an early age, despite them not being able to comprehend how problematic that is for them. How they chose to get that message across was visceral, but I don't see the call for the level of outrage. These competitions are happening in the manner they're depicted in the movie...that should be where the conversation starts.

It's strange that people are complaining about scenes like the condom balloon but don't make a fuss about the film Good Boys. That was a coming-of-age comedy that was rife with its sexual overtones. Frankly, I've seen worse from the US version of Shameless, which routinely sexualized and showed nudity of children as young as 13 (nudity was of 18+ actors).
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:28 PM   #4719
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
You can shine a light on it without doing exactly what you're trying to expose

I'm not about to shout down netflix on twitter or cancel my subscription in faux outrage, but I can't deny, the film is ####ed
This is my issue. It’s not that the film is provocative or handling a sensitive topic.

It’s that the film is obviously sexualized and exploitive. The exact things it’s pretending to analyze and expose.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 09:33 PM   #4720
Nyah
First Line Centre
 
Nyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Kilt & Caber
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
And yes, there are reasons for that type of cinematography and no, they're not for the reasons most are seeing. That's not the audience's fault, though, because that's what the camera is intending. It's where the characters are wanting you to look. It's inevitable when children are permitted and encouraged to perform in a such a highly sexualized environment.
Children should never be permitted/encouraged to perform highly sexualized content, full stop. Especially on film where it'll be distributed to the masses. It's not the audience that's missing the point, it's whoever thought that gratuitously showing kids doing just that was an acceptable way of telling a story. It's not and most of us recognize that, it's objectively not an overreaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
The characters clearly don't understand the impact of their wardrobe and hyper-sexualization. I would give the child actors more credit, though. It's disingenuous to proclaim there's no reason and the children are simply being exploited.
I would argue that it's disingenuous of you to assume that these 11 year old girls recognize the risk they're being put in. That they know exactly how their scenes will be used by the grosses of people. You say that pedos won't pay attention to stuff like this, but it's a hell of way to fly under the radar way to get their preferred content (I literally can't even type out the detail of the content because it grosses me out so much). It's fully promoted and endorsed by Netflix.

Abuse and exploitation are different, i'll give you that. But when you have a handful of young kids sexually exploited on film it's hard to see that line. They were made to perform and be sexual for entertainment. I'd argue that's abusive.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:05 PM.

Calgary Flames
2023-24




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021