Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-28-2022, 07:33 AM   #241
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

in looking at the standings the flames are now done about a quarter of their season and they averaging about 1 pt per game. Additionally, they have now have a couple of teams to jump over.

outside of those first few games, to me this team has not shown a lot that would lead you to believe that they can do much more than win one game in a playoff series.

seems to me that making the playoffs is real stretch goal for this squad.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:36 AM   #242
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

They'll need a few long winning streaks to cement themselves as a contender. Not out of the realm of possibility but yeah nothing I see with the group as it is suggests this is coming anytime soon.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:42 AM   #243
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. Will need one real long stream or at least a few 5 game streaks. Not looking great so far
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:18 AM   #244
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Yeah. Will need one real long stream or at least a few 5 game streaks. Not looking great so far
West is very spread out this year. The 8th place team (St. Louis) is on a 86 point pace, which is off about 6-7 from most years.

That can change, but if it doesn't the Flames only need to go 30-25-6 to get to 87 points and grab a wild card spot.

To me that's the starting point, and it doesn't require multiple 5 game win streaks. Get 5 games over .500 and then start aiming higher.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:28 AM   #245
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cheering for 87 points
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:47 AM   #246
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Cheering for 87 points
That's a pretty weak assessment of what I said.

Well done.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:48 AM   #247
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Well done.
But it was the most negative take from what your post said so his mission was accomplished.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:53 AM   #248
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
West is very spread out this year. The 8th place team (St. Louis) is on a 86 point pace, which is off about 6-7 from most years.

That can change, but if it doesn't the Flames only need to go 30-25-6 to get to 87 points and grab a wild card spot.

To me that's the starting point, and it doesn't require multiple 5 game win streaks. Get 5 games over .500 and then start aiming higher.
Getting 5 games over .500 is certainly a tall task for a team this disjointed. This run of Huberdeau being a 3rd line player, playing with two players who just don’t have the hands to finish or contribute to chances that Huberdeau generates is not how things should be. There’s a lot of chatter about the team finding ways to lose, but I almost put it closer to “the team is choosing to lose” with the structure of its lineup. They aren’t setting themselves up for success, and as a result they aren’t having success.

Now that the team is back home I’m dying to see Huberdeau returned to Lindholm and Toffoli. I’d also really like to see Mangiapane reunited with Coleman and Backlund, as that line just worked last year. That leaves Ruzicka, Dube and Kadri to form the other top-9 line - and who knows, maybe that will click.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 08:54 AM   #249
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well done.
good thing it was not an assessment of what you said.

My 30 page dissertation will be available at 5pm.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:04 AM   #250
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
good thing it was not an assessment of what you said.

My 30 page dissertation will be available at 5pm.
It wasn't though.

"Cheering for" was disingenuous when I set that as the bar to make it, and then talked about aiming higher.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:05 AM   #251
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was not implying that you were cheering for 87 points
Old 11-28-2022, 09:05 AM   #252
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Getting 5 games over .500 is certainly a tall task for a team this disjointed. This run of Huberdeau being a 3rd line player, playing with two players who just don’t have the hands to finish or contribute to chances that Huberdeau generates is not how things should be. There’s a lot of chatter about the team finding ways to lose, but I almost put it closer to “the team is choosing to lose” with the structure of its lineup. They aren’t setting themselves up for success, and as a result they aren’t having success.

Now that the team is back home I’m dying to see Huberdeau returned to Lindholm and Toffoli. I’d also really like to see Mangiapane reunited with Coleman and Backlund, as that line just worked last year. That leaves Ruzicka, Dube and Kadri to form the other top-9 line - and who knows, maybe that will click.
I'm not that pessimistic.

I think a run of 6-2 or something is right around the corner, too many numbers are bound to level off.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:06 AM   #253
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I was not implying that you were cheering for 87 points
Well you replied to me.

Maybe there's something between what you did and your 30 page submission that would be a little more clear?
Old 11-28-2022, 09:08 AM   #254
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well you replied to me.

Maybe there's something between what you did and your 30 page submission that would be a little more clear?
it was simply a comment and more of a reflection on how low the bar has fallen for this team.

This group probably has one or two seasons to get the most out of this core and this is where we currently stand.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:08 AM   #255
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me what is important is that:
- They make the playoffs (obviously)
- That they start to progress towards playing better in time for the playoffs.

If you believe in Sutter, he will demand a level of discipline that he believes will give the group a chance to succeed in the playoffs. So you have to get to that dance, and then are you arriving with the level of buy-in and consistent execution required to go on a run.

They are fortunate that the west, at the bottom, is weak this year. It is buying them time to get their poop in a group.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 09:09 AM   #256
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
it was simply a comment and more of a reflection on how low the bar has fallen for this team.

This group probably has one or two seasons to get the most out of this core and this is where we currently stand.
But you'd have to be pretty negative to think that's the bar for the team. That's the bar for the West ... all I said.

You get to that bar and then you aim higher.

You're dropping the team bar on your own.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:09 AM   #257
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The bar hasn't fallen. But some anticipated and accepted that there would be a period of adjustment.

Just because this is where things currently stand, doesn't mean they will stay that way.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:10 AM   #258
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team would have to raise their own bar to reach 87 points so I don't think I'm the one dropping the bar
Old 11-28-2022, 09:18 AM   #259
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
The team would have to raise their own bar to reach 87 points so I don't think I'm the one dropping the bar
Nope ...

I doubt very much the team's success bar has slid all that much from the beginning of the season. They're not throwing in the towel and accepting mediocrity.

The standings aren't the bar, the internal expectations are.

Just you talking about 87 points being a bar.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:11 AM   #260
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
... not really. They're a bad season or two away from looking like San Jose.
It would have to be a decision that I’m not sure they would embrace but after 2024/2025 they only have Kadri, Huberdeau, Coleman, Weegar, Andersson, and Markstrom signed. I doubt they do it but they trade Hanifin, Andersson, and Lindholm they can rebuild.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote