Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2022, 05:31 PM   #221
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huberdeau Kadri Lindholm
Ruzicka Backlund Toffoli
Mangiapane Dube Coleman
Lucic Lewis Ritchie

Didn’t Lindholm play RW at one point?

Figured try and get your best players on one line to see if it could create a spark. Third line put all of the underachievers??

Try bringing up AHL guys next? Look at trades as a last resort??

Something has to change to try and generate some offense. Not sure what to do with the powerplay.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:11 PM   #222
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Sutter would consider playing against some teams that aren’t very good as opposed to all of these good teams we’ve been playing.

Could help some guys gain some traction.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:14 PM   #223
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
If teams call you asking for any of your players. You accept those offers.

Rooney or Dube hit waivers.
Huh?

You trade any player and for whatever the other team asks?

Some pretty shrewd GMing there!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2022, 06:16 PM   #224
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Huberdeau Kadri Lindholm
Ruzicka Backlund Toffoli
Mangiapane Dube Coleman
Lucic Lewis Ritchie

Didn’t Lindholm play RW at one point?

Figured try and get your best players on one line to see if it could create a spark. Third line put all of the underachievers??

Try bringing up AHL guys next? Look at trades as a last resort??

Something has to change to try and generate some offense. Not sure what to do with the powerplay.

Change...I figure that if Sutter was an NFL head coach every down/play would be "fullback up the middle".
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:23 PM   #225
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Yeah, I meant as a finish. That's also kind of my point, that even if Markstorm plays like his average self the rest of the way this will be a terrible season for him. At least in my eyes .905 would make Markstrom one of the worst starting goalies this season.

I hope Markstrom finds his game and gets a couple of shutouts to bump up his numbers, but that doesn't seem likely with the way we have been playing D this season. I know the team's expected goals against are among the top 10 teams, but it seems like we give up a lot of grade A chances against relative to a low quantity of shots.
Flames are top ten in high danger against so that's not true.

If Markstrom gets back to average Markstrom the rest of the season the Flames will be fine. Doesn't really matter how the season starts it's how it ends right?
Old 11-27-2022, 06:28 PM   #226
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don’t see anything in Markstrom’s game to provide confidence that he will trend back up to his long term stats. I’ve said it before even his highlight reel saves seem to be more luck than skill. His low save percentage stats certainly are troublesome but it’s the bad goals game after game. Bad timing. Momentum killers.

If I’m Sutter I’m starting Vladar every game for the foreseeable future.

Re Sutter it seems many have lost trust. That’s fair. I wonder what the meetings have been like among all of the coaches. There’s some good brain power among the assistants. I doubt they are on the same page as Sutter. Do any of them have the nads to question Sutter?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:41 PM   #227
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny watching Sunday Night Football and comparing Rodgers and Markstrom. Both with terrible numbers this year compared to their averages. And Rodgers just tosses an awful pass that’s intercepted by the Eagles who get a TD on the very next play.

No guarantees in sports.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:56 PM   #228
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

If Markstrom gets back to average Markstrom the rest of the season the Flames will be fine. Doesn't really matter how the season starts it's how it ends right?
If the Flames are top ten in high danger chances then I'm starting to question the legitimacy of high danger chances, lol. In all seriousness, though, what are they in high danger chances after the amazing start to the year?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:06 PM   #229
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To clarify, you are saying that the Flames are top 10 in high danger shots against, as in, they have allowed among the fewest high danger shots against.
Correct?
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:31 PM   #230
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if some of you don't watch many other teams.

Flames don't allow much...it seems worse since so many have ended up in the net. Goalies bail teams out, it's their job.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:35 PM   #231
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah with the schedule being so odd, some injuries to key players ... some rough goaltending to start the season people are pretty quick to fire a coach and trade members of the team's core.

Wonder if they'll retract any of this silliness when the Flames win 7 of 8 against middling teams and start their way up the standings?
The odd thing to me is that after the trade and the signing, it seemed like it must have been 85-90% of this forum was preaching patience because of the removal of our two stars and insertion of 3 new guys and acknowledgement that it will take time. I don't know, maybe their version of time was 2-3 weeks max? It would seem that there has to be a segment of this group who are now unhappy after they themselves were expecting some growing pains.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2022, 07:36 PM   #232
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I just don’t see anything in Markstrom’s game to provide confidence that he will trend back up to his long term stats. I’ve said it before even his highlight reel saves seem to be more luck than skill. His low save percentage stats certainly are troublesome but it’s the bad goals game after game. Bad timing. Momentum killers.

If I’m Sutter I’m starting Vladar every game for the foreseeable future.

Re Sutter it seems many have lost trust. That’s fair. I wonder what the meetings have been like among all of the coaches. There’s some good brain power among the assistants. I doubt they are on the same page as Sutter. Do any of them have the nads to question Sutter?
I’m sure Muller does
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2022, 07:37 PM   #233
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I wonder if some of you don't watch many other teams.

Flames don't allow much...it seems worse since so many have ended up in the net. Goalies bail teams out, it's their job.

Roger that, either goalie has got to start stealing a few. Vladar kept his team in it in Carolina...if he does not get the start after that perfomance heads need to roll.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:50 PM   #234
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I was looking at 5 on 5 chances against, so that's my bad. There the Flames were 9th in expected GA according to moneypuck.

I agree with you that it a season is a marathon and not a sprint, and I really want you to be right. That said, this team looks a lot more like the versions that missed the playoffs following a good season. I try to stay positive, but everything seems worse when the Flames are losing.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:55 PM   #235
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
To clarify, you are saying that the Flames are top 10 in high danger shots against, as in, they have allowed among the fewest high danger shots against.
Correct?
The Flames are 23rd in High Danger Shots against in all situations with 75 high danger shots against, so they allowed among the most high danger shots against. NJD are first with 43 high danger shots against. In all situations the Flames are 18th in expected goals against per 60 with 3.23GA/60.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:59 PM   #236
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I just don’t see anything in Markstrom’s game to provide confidence that he will trend back up to his long term stats. I’ve said it before even his highlight reel saves seem to be more luck than skill.
He makes a lot of fortunate pad saves along the ice.

I don't consider it luck, but I do think those kinds of saves have less value than saves that are elevated, because any Chad Johnson type can make those.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:37 PM   #237
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

xGF vs xGA to date

Flames in the upper right quadrant which is good

https://twitter.com/user/status/1596912183505727488
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 07:25 AM   #238
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Correct?
Correct.

9th at 2.45 / 60
Old 11-28-2022, 07:29 AM   #239
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
The odd thing to me is that after the trade and the signing, it seemed like it must have been 85-90% of this forum was preaching patience because of the removal of our two stars and insertion of 3 new guys and acknowledgement that it will take time. I don't know, maybe their version of time was 2-3 weeks max? It would seem that there has to be a segment of this group who are now unhappy after they themselves were expecting some growing pains.
Nobody has to be patient. Doesn't really matter if they are or not any way.

I'm not a big reaction guy. I don't plan cup routes and I don't throw the baby out with the bath water after a loss.

They're not fun to watch right now. They don't look creative at all. They need rebounds or good bounces to create offence. They're not getting the big save. Their special teams are in decline.

Not fun hockey at all.

But when I see the schedule break down and the team PDO ranking it's pretty jarring. You can always pick the due for a fall or due for a rise clubs by stats like that and 9/10 you'll be right.

The Flames are going to be playing a lot of middling teams going forward. If they still struggle they could be in trouble. But if they win say 7 of 8 it doesn't mean Sutter is a genius and that all the players are suddenly on the same page ... just things leveling out.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:31 AM   #240
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know a lot is being said about depth, and goaltending being issues - which I think is valid. However, I really think one of our biggest problems right now is that Huberdeau hasn't found his game yet. We lost Tkachuk and Gaudreau - Huberdeau was supposed to replace Gaudreau's offense and Weegar would help strengthen the back end while adding some offense to compensate for losing Tkachuk. To an extent, I think Weegar has done that. Without Gaudreau being the driver on offense, and so far Huberdeau has not come close to taking on that responsibility we have a pretty neutered and disorganized offense. I do think Huberdeau will find his game, but until that happens I think we're going to struggle.

Edit: Forgot Kadri - I think he has lived up so far in adding some toughness and offense that we lost with Tkachuk.

Last edited by VilleN; 11-28-2022 at 07:33 AM.
VilleN is online now   Reply With Quote