Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2022, 09:38 PM   #121
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If Markstrom is still at an .880 level at Christmas, they may as well run three goaltenders. They won't — we saw how it went last time — but at a certain point complacency isn't an option anymore for a team with these aspirations.
I don't see any complacency at all-Markstrom knows he has to be better, and he's battling hard. You can see on the faces of all the coaches and players that they are working hard to turn things around. They won't give up on Marky-like I said, he's looking better already. Once the team in front of him gets it together, he'll be all the better as well.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:13 PM   #122
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
If Markstrom is still at an .880 level at Christmas, they may as well run three goaltenders. They won't — we saw how it went last time — but at a certain point complacency isn't an option anymore for a team with these aspirations.
If it ever got to that (it won't) the Flames would make a trade before settling on a Vladar/Wolf duo. With $6.75 m invested in goaltending already, there is no way they are running with three.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2022, 11:03 PM   #123
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The AHL is also not the NHL

Good on Wolf so far but lets not pretend he could just jump in the NHL and put up a .920% as a starter because he has done so in the AHL

Vladar and Markstrom are in the .800s so far behind this team

Last edited by dino7c; 11-20-2022 at 11:27 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2022, 11:39 PM   #124
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
If it ever got to that (it won't) the Flames would make a trade before settling on a Vladar/Wolf duo. With $6.75 m invested in goaltending already, there is no way they are running with three.

Oh I certainly don't think they'd go with a Vladar/Wolf duo. No chance of that.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:40 PM   #125
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no chance Wolf is in the NHL this season, that's the point

unless injury
Old 11-20-2022, 11:41 PM   #126
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

It'd certainly be very unlikely. Markstrom would have to be doing terribly. Like catastrophic.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:14 AM   #127
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It'd certainly be very unlikely. Markstrom would have to be doing terribly. Like catastrophic.
Interesting situation if Wolf gets called up. You'd think Chechelev will become the no.1 at the wranglers.
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:56 AM   #128
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by complacency here, but there is no way they will run with 3 goalies. All that does is insure that NONE of them get enough work to get rolling. That would be the worst decision the Flames could make.

If they think their goaltending is so bad that they need to make changes, they will run with VLadar. And if that fails, then they would waive or trade Vladar, to bring up Wolf. But there is virtually no chance of this happening. And at that point, the season would be lost anyway.

The only way Wolf sees action this year is if there is an injury. And even then, he would ride the pine. He might get a gift-start later in the season, but he isn't going to become part of the goaltending situation this year.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:07 PM   #129
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is there anyone here watching the Wranglers regularly? You would think with them being in Calgary there would be more of an awareness about who's NHL ready. Even when the AHL team has been elsewhere like Adirondack, Abbotsford, Stockton there's been a guy who's providing scouting reports.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:11 PM   #130
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I've been at every home game. The NHL-ready forwards are Phillips, Zary, and Pelletier. Ben Jones is a Glenn Gawdin-type plug-in guy. Planning on doing up a little article on this exact topic this week.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 01:30 PM   #131
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd hope we see some games this season from these guys...especially Philips as I presume he is gone after this season and no blaming him really.

We usually are hopeful to have some guys that are doing passably well, but if we have 3 guys that are among the very best of the league it would be good to see what they are capable of in the NHL.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 03:24 PM   #132
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have probably watched 70% of Wranglers games and I do agree with Scorp, those are the only ones who are NHL ready. I would call up Phillips if we need someone in the Top 6 to play with Huberdeau, Kadri, Lindholm etc, but I would call up Pelletier if we need a solid winger to play with Backs on the third line. I can see Zary playing on the third line but also being a contributor in the top 6 but I really want him to have more time in the AHL, I think it would benefit him and the Flames more in the long run. If Pelletier and Phillips do not work out, then call up Zary.

I also think that Schwindt is looking better as the season progresses, he has some very good passing ability and got a good shot, I do not think he is ready to be a contributor at NHL level but I can see him competing for a spot next year.
Naitix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 03:28 PM   #133
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Unless Ruzicka slips (he had a rough one last night) you'd think they'd go the Jones route as they need a fourth line fill in more than a top nine as it stands.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 03:52 PM   #134
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I think "NHL ready" is a bit of a stretch when their only competition has been against AHLers. "NHL tryout ready" is a better term. "Ready for another chance to show they can play in the NHL for the Calgary Flames" is an even better one. We're not Arizona or Edmonton.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 04:31 PM   #135
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

That's a weird semantic line to draw. I think all of those functionally mean the same thing. Otherwise, no prospects without NHL experience could ever be considered NHL-ready (but some of them very much are).

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 04:43 PM   #136
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I think "NHL ready" is a bit of a stretch when their only competition has been against AHLers. "NHL tryout ready" is a better term. "Ready for another chance to show they can play in the NHL for the Calgary Flames" is an even better one. We're not Arizona or Edmonton.
Of the 3 mentioned, 2 haven't played a game, 1 has played 1 game. I don't know where you pulled another from.
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:53 PM   #137
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindtravellee View Post
Of the 3 mentioned, 2 haven't played a game, 1 has played 1 game. I don't know where you pulled another from.
In terms of chances to show they can play in the NHL, training camp would be the precursor that allows me to use the word "another."
Old 11-22-2022, 09:32 PM   #138
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
That's a weird semantic line to draw. I think all of those functionally mean the same thing. Otherwise, no prospects without NHL experience could ever be considered NHL-ready (but some of them very much are).
"NHL ready" infers they're ready to play in the NHL... like, there are no questions and nothing to prove. They had an excellent camp and during their chances (in preseason) to play against other NHLers, they showed they could handle the uptick in opposition skill. These players would be on the team if it weren't for either a cap or roster related reason.

I'm just saying neither of of these guys meet that criteria for me, which is what I mean by ready for another chance vs NHL ready.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:39 PM   #139
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"NHL ready" infers they're ready to play in the NHL... like, there are no questions and nothing to prove. They had an excellent camp and during their chances (in preseason) to play against other NHLers, they showed they could handle the uptick in opposition skill. These players would be on the team if it weren't for either a cap or roster related reason.

I'm just saying neither of of these guys meet that criteria for me, which is what I mean by ready for another chance vs NHL ready.
Quite frankly I think anyone with over 82 games played as an AHL pro is NHL-ready, and in a league where teams actual employ plugs like Rooney for reasons as arbitrary as "your fourth lines should be muckers, not effective hockey players", there is no competency limitation. The question as always comes down to opportunity and fit. The best fourth line Treliving has ever put together was Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway so I see no reason to use the aformentioned arbitrary logic to determine who is NHL ready.

Are there players on the Wranglers who should be on the Flames' Top 12?

Yes.

No Doubt About It.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 09:41 PM   #140
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
"NHL ready" infers they're ready to play in the NHL... like, there are no questions and nothing to prove.
Agreed.

Quote:
They had an excellent camp and during their chances (in preseason) to play against other NHLers, they showed they could handle the uptick in opposition skill. These players would be on the team if it weren't for either a cap or roster related reason.
Why is this a criterion in the definition of "NHL ready" when players more often make the jump directly from the AHL after having been cut from training camp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote