Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2022, 12:52 AM   #441
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Yeah Pillar other than one year couldn’t hit for beans yet everyone loved him.
I'd rather have more wins then flashy plays and Kevin Kiermaier isn't going to get us more wins. I'd be happy to have him if he was a Tapia replacement but as a regular player he's a injury-prone guy with a substandard bat.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2022, 10:18 AM   #442
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Teo would get us a couple wins wheee his bat would put a close game out of reach and KK will give us a couple wins where he makes a good play to seal a win. I think people just don’t realize how bad our outfield defence was last year. Our infield D was fine but outfield was rough.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 05:54 PM   #443
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really hoping todays report of the Jays keeping all three catchers is true. As amazing all three guys did last year there are questions as to consistency and the future of who will be the guy. Really hoping they hold off doing anything there until next offseason.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 06:39 PM   #444
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just think there is a lack of a team other than maybe Houston who really needs a catcher right now. But midseason say a key injury or two happens. That might drive up the price on catching and let us get a better deal. Plus it insured us more against our own injuries and Kirk and Jansen have not been the best at staying healthy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2022, 01:14 PM   #445
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
I just think there is a lack of a team other than maybe Houston who really needs a catcher right now. But midseason say a key injury or two happens. That might drive up the price on catching and let us get a better deal. Plus it insured us more against our own injuries and Kirk and Jansen have not been the best at staying healthy.

Without going through team by team, I'd think Toronto has a better catcher than 90% of the means out there. Would make sense for any team to have a competitive advantage at a hard position to fill. So personally I'm surprised someone hasn't ponied up the arm and leg to get one of their guys. I'm almost ecstatic management hasn't short changed themselves and sold one for a reliever-type role. The sum of all three for this upcoming year are smart to keep, so again, good move by management not to jump.
Old 12-18-2022, 02:32 PM   #446
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There was only one catcher traded this year and that was Murphy with Oakland. They return was really bad though but it’s hard to know if that’s Oakland being Oakland. They like to trade their stars for marginal returns. But if that was a legit trade offer that was the best out there then yeah I say hold on. Right now it’s more a FA market than a trade market.
Old 12-18-2022, 05:00 PM   #447
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Brantley back to Houston. I liked the bat but he didn’t fit at all defensively. He’s have had to take up a lot of DH time.
Old 12-19-2022, 01:28 PM   #448
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Oh, I think they sold a bit low on Teo but he was wildly inconsistent. With him I think it's mental as his highs are very high, and his low slumps are very low. As a fan how could we not be happy they moved on from him? I'm just a little surprised that the upgrade wasn't really one. I'm totally fine with the philosophy of cheaping out on OF, but I don't think they've really upgraded yet overall as a team. There are still changes coming, but with every passing day more teams solidify their lineups. I do trust management but my initial thoughts after a sense of urgency at the end of last season, expected a bit more by this point. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy they've steered clear of all those big contracts this off-season, but I'm also not too happy they've lost out on certain guys like Kenley.
I agree with moving on, and I agree that he was wildly inconsistent, along with being a defensive liability. But I think there is also another reason: I think they felt they needed to separate him and Vladdy, as things were just a little too comfortable in the dugout. Having fun, and having a team that is close, are great. But sometimes, things can be a little too loose and too comfortable. I think they would like to get Vladdy a little more focused on being a good pro. Moving Hernandez will force Vladdy to grow up a bit - hopefully.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2022, 01:43 PM   #449
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

From what I’ve read of the three outfielders we see as the fun loving ones (Springer, Teoscar, Gurriel) it’s Gurriel who is the clubhouse leader there. Sounds like he’s a glue guy behind the scenes. Teoscar and Springer seem to be a bit more relaxed and such. Springer of course isn’t moving and has great post season numbers. Teoscar was the obvious one to move.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:37 PM   #450
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gurriel is also coming off an injury and a year with low power numbers. I don’t think they wanted to sell low on him. From what I’ve read, it seemed like the negotiations on a new contract for Teo were not going well either.

I personally liked the deal for Teo. Helped buttress the bullpen, added a much needed young arm who could be developed or used as trade capital, and freed up some dollars.
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2022, 02:49 PM   #451
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I agree with moving on, and I agree that he was wildly inconsistent, along with being a defensive liability. But I think there is also another reason: I think they felt they needed to separate him and Vladdy, as things were just a little too comfortable in the dugout. Having fun, and having a team that is close, are great. But sometimes, things can be a little too loose and too comfortable. I think they would like to get Vladdy a little more focused on being a good pro. Moving Hernandez will force Vladdy to grow up a bit - hopefully.
Oh I really didn’t like the feel of their behind the scenes bumming around during games they were getting blown on. I’m personally not serious guy but there comes a time and place where you have to work a little harder and really take in the magnitude of a ####ty situation and they kept it a little too loose at times. So I fully agree that that may have been a small factor in the decision to dump him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Gurriel is also coming off an injury and a year with low power numbers. I don’t think they wanted to sell low on him. From what I’ve read, it seemed like the negotiations on a new contract for Teo were not going well either.

I personally liked the deal for Teo. Helped buttress the bullpen, added a much needed young arm who could be developed or used as trade capital, and freed up some dollars.
The dollars saved are a big deal but I don’t think most teams would think of him as overpaid. He has power to do damage but was no plate disciplined at all. Personally was not a fan of the return but I guess the market was not there for him for whatever reason.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:17 AM   #452
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are we really saying getting rid of Teo was good because he was too much fun in the dugout? They are playing a game almost every day and there are going to be blowouts. I'd rather a happy, fun mood on those days knowing it's a whole new game tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:36 AM   #453
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well it’s a factor but I think fairly minor. The main reason is we needed to improve our OF defence and that means moving Springer to RF. Teo has never been good in LF so he was easily the casualty there. Would I have liked to get more for him sure of course but I think Swanson is quite good. But improving our OF defence and moving Springer to a spot where he can be more healthy is important. Our DH is loaded enough (Vlad, Springer, Kirk) that we couldn’t really make Teo the fulltime DH either.

Edit: I think if Teo was around still that we still get KK. So saving the 14 million probably helps us get the budget to sign Bassit.

Last edited by Kasi; 12-20-2022 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:47 AM   #454
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Are we really saying getting rid of Teo was good because he was too much fun in the dugout? They are playing a game almost every day and there are going to be blowouts. I'd rather a happy, fun mood on those days knowing it's a whole new game tomorrow.
I would think he was moved as the lineup was extremely right handed heavy and it was a issue last season

Jays had to change it up to acquire more LH hitters

I would also guess, he might of been really difficult to resign
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 10:53 AM   #455
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

From what the FO has been saying I think the two main reasons are defence and being a vet who can help the team with his leadership. Obviously without a move to acquire a LH hitter you can’t say subtracting your 3rd or 4th best hitter is a bonus.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:27 AM   #456
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moving Teo was about improving the outfield defense and saving some money in the process. This was the last year of arb for Teo and he was starting to get very expensive to keep around, like to the point where he's not likely to provide enough value to make up for it.

The Jays were the top offensive team in the AL last year, and that was with Vlad's production really tanking last year from the previous year. They can afford to lose their 3rd or 4th best hitter if it's going to improve team defense and allow them to re-allocate money into pitching.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 11:32 AM   #457
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ken Rosenthal is reporting the Jays are in on Michael Conforto which would be a solid signing. But the Rangers are in on him too so we all know he won't sign with the Jays.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 01:06 PM   #458
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well no it just means the Jays have to pay more. Sadly it is what it is. To beat other teams for FA we have to offer more money or more term. (Or both) I don’t ever recall a player taking less to come here. Whether it’s Canada or taxes or the cold or whatever a premium is always required here.
Old 12-23-2022, 08:42 AM   #459
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conforto signed with the Giants, 2 year 36M

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/san-francisco...deal-1.1897158
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 02:03 PM   #460
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp: