Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2022, 09:36 AM   #301
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I hope Gallo isn’t the buy here. He’d be a detriment if anything. Bench, sure, flyer. Also Kenley signed in Boston. Would have been a great back end with him and Romano. $16M per for two seasons. Nice deal.
Will be interesting to see how Kenley holds up with a pitch clock. He's super slow so he will have to adjust and it might throw him off.

Old dog, new tricks, and all that.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 09:39 AM   #302
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yankees are after Rodon, Mets are still in on Senga despite already having signed Verlander and Quintana.

Like #### off already.

Mets already have a payroll over $300 million and are still looking to add. Their luxury tax right now would be over $30 million alone.

Getting ridiculous.

Senga was #1 on my wish list this off season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 09:42 AM   #303
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That’s what you get having a corporation as owner instead of some rando rich billionaire. One just has more hoops to go through to release money for big FA spending.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:46 AM   #304
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read somewhere that Shapiro stated the other day that he doesn't see getting into luxury tax territory being an issue. They might not get there this off season, but they are apparently more than willing to spend.

It's starting to look like attracting free agent talent to TO might be a bigger problem than paying for it.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #305
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

It IS surprising that athletes don’t want to come here. Taxes, weather, family all seem to play a part. I guess the extra early prep for airports over a long season are a real pain so I could see that wearing on someone. Though it seems like some would take a trash city like Philly over a world class city like Toronto. That ti me is puzzling.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:09 AM   #306
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'd think weather from April to September in Toronto wouldn't be an issue for anyone. If anything, the weather in Texas in that same timeframe seems like it would be more of an issue.

Definitely taxes are a huge one, though. And having to bring family across the border. Some aspects of Toronto/Canada are more appealing for players who are not from the US, though. Hopefully they can use that to their advantage a bit here.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 10:10 AM   #307
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Where do you see the news about Gallo from Heyman? It doesn’t look like it’s on his Twitter feed.
It's Callo your honor. Woosh.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 10:22 AM   #308
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
It's Callo your honor. Woosh.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 12:58 PM   #309
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cardinals signing Contreras another bad break, as takes a prime trade candidate out of the mix.

Lots of off-season left but things certainly not falling the Jays’ way.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:47 PM   #310
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1600624151223566337
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:09 PM   #311
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of money being thrown around. And I'm oddly ok with the Jays being passengers so far. Some of those contract are going to age very poorly in the hopes of a couple banger seasons. And I think the most value might be the Verlander deal based on how short it is.

Still curious about the trade market. And Nimmo would be a very interesting piece depending on the contract. But baseball ain't hurting for cash that's for sure.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 05:22 PM   #312
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
A lot of money being thrown around. And I'm oddly ok with the Jays being passengers so far. Some of those contract are going to age very poorly in the hopes of a couple banger seasons. And I think the most value might be the Verlander deal based on how short it is.

Still curious about the trade market. And Nimmo would be a very interesting piece depending on the contract. But baseball ain't hurting for cash that's for sure.
If the Jays have any hope to make an impact in the playoffs they have to spend

Starting pitching is not good enough and clearly they need an left handed outfielder

Guessing trade is the route for the fielder, however pitching will be an issue
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:28 PM   #313
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

No chance they leave pitching as is. It’s bound to get better but if they really want to take it up (which they should) they really have to bump everyone down. Get a no doubt ace, you slide fringe starters to the bullpen, and with Ryu and Kukuchi there, combined with even a mediocre Pearson, and the bullpen looks alright. Legit one move can make waves with pitching but it’s gotta be at the top. OF really shouldn’t be that hard to get to work out. I’m most concerned about championship calibre offence at 2nd and 3rd, and the defensive capability at SS. I really wish they drop Bichette to 2nd. Solves an issue.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:24 PM   #314
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Apparently they tried to extend Bo last offseason but that didn’t pan out. I guess problem with signing sons of baseball stars vs poor people is that it’s harder to entice already rich people with team friendly deals.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:19 PM   #315
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Apparently they tried to extend Bo last offseason but that didn’t pan out. I guess problem with signing sons of baseball stars vs poor people is that it’s harder to entice already rich people with team friendly deals.
Something about Bo tells me he’ll say all the right things but he’s savvy and will seek max money. Nothing wrong with that as it’s his prerogative. If the jays don’t think he can they should look to maximize a return when the time comes. Vlad I have full confidence would take a small discount if the figure is in the ballpark. His longevity is another question. We’ll see what happens in a year but I can see the roster looking very different in a couple years.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:33 PM   #316
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL

Nimmo re-signs with the Mets for EIGHT YEARS

$20 million per

These contracts are nuts and the Mets payroll is embarrassing
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 07:43 PM   #317
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

8/162 for a resign. If that is home team discount I shudder to think what the Jays would have to pay. Likely 8/180 or 10/200. Both would be way too much.

And on the Mets they’re all in for sure. They’re up to 328 million. But it’s the Mets of course so they’ll find a way to screw it up.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:16 PM   #318
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s no fun watching your team on the sidelines as these big time players get signed. But I truly believe you have a much better chance of building a winner by avoiding these gigantic contracts. There should be lots of value left now.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:20 PM   #319
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least it’s all the NL teams going crazy for once

Rogers will need to realize they need to spent in the $220 range to have a chance going forward
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:24 PM   #320
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The issue now is each guy who gets taken off the board creates more demand for the remaining good free agents. I'm not so concerned at the guys who have signed elsewhere, but that the Jays will have to overpay for someone now. As a fan it's very easy to say it doesn't matter, just get it done. But these affect the team in later years when certain players need to be signed, but can't because of payroll constraints. Brantley seems like he could be acquired at a low cost and term, and that is very intriguing to me. Rondon seems to be the only marquee pitcher left, and I have no confidence they'll pay his price (whatever that may be). Seems more and more likely their moves will be done through trades exclusively.