Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2022, 08:42 AM   #201
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Another 75 bps hike this morning. Overnight rate is up to 3.25%. Sounds like more rate hikes to come in the future as well...

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/2022/09/...se-2022-09-07/
I think the next one we see will be back down to a .25 . Then my bet is they taper it off entirely. As was mentioned above, leading indicators seem to point to us being past peak. Too much gusto on the interest side could tilt a bunch of homes into insolvency without being necessary for the larger economic picture.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 08:53 AM   #202
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank #### I'm locked in for four more years.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 08:55 AM   #203
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I think the next one we see will be back down to a .25 . Then my bet is they taper it off entirely. As was mentioned above, leading indicators seem to point to us being past peak. Too much gusto on the interest side could tilt a bunch of homes into insolvency without being necessary for the larger economic picture.
From an uneducated monetary policy perspective I doubt there will be a drop between now and the start of 2024. My best case scenario prediction is a plateau at 4%.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:05 AM   #204
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Will there be any effect on the crazy housing market? Things have cooled slightly, but most bigger markets in the country are still crazy.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:17 AM   #205
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, I definitely got boned and made the wrong choice when I renewed my mortgage last year. I took the 5-year variable at prime minus -1.26% with a net interest of 1.19%.
The fixed being offered at the time was in the low 2%'s I think.

My strategy was that I could save money for a while and beat the fixed rate, stomach a few eventual increases, and still be ahead which obviously backfired. I had no idea rates would go up this much and this quickly.

This has resulted in a $400/month increase in payments which fortunately our family can stomach. However there are many families who will have to take a serious look at their spending and finances.

If I try to fix it now, the rates are much higher so may as well ride it out I guess (unless we think it will go even higher).

Last edited by dubc80; 09-07-2022 at 09:22 AM.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 09:28 AM   #206
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Two announcements remaining for 2022 - Oct 26 and Dec 7. Looking like we'll end the year around 4.00%, about 50bp higher than most experts believed when making projections back in early summer. For reference, our BOC overnight rate has only been at 4%+ for 2 of the last 20 years - 2006 and 2007, where it bounced between 4.00-4.50%.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:39 AM   #207
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Such a move had been widely anticipated, with Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) executive director and senior economist Karyne Charbonneau indicating to Canadian Mortgage Professional in the wake of the Bank’s last announcement that the policy rate was likely to peak at 3.25%.
“We don’t think there’s space for this type of hike [one percentage point] anymore,” Charbonneau said in July. “So probably 0.75%, maybe in September, and then take a break… We think that by then, the economy will be slowing significantly on these higher interest rates and still-high inflation.”
https://www.mpamag.com/ca/mortgage-i...A-DB3FF4CE2FC9

Hopefully the bolded comes to fruition and the BoC pauses to see how inflation numbers look over the next few months. A lot of families already struggling with these rate increases.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #208
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I renewed in January for a three-year variable rate at, like, nothing. Then, chaos ensued. My timing could not have been worse…. Sigh. Hoping it doesn’t go higher, this is nuts for someone that lives on their own right now.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 10:07 AM   #209
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I renewed in January for a three-year variable rate at, like, nothing. Then, chaos ensued. My timing could not have been worse…. Sigh. Hoping it doesn’t go higher, this is nuts for someone that lives on their own right now.
Also nuts for someone living with a family. I had planned 1.5-2% of increases over the first year since I renewed in March. Didn't expect things to go this wild this quick. It will be interesting what happens in January as I am sure there are a lot of people struggling with lines of credit now.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 10:23 AM   #210
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Will there be any effect on the crazy housing market? Things have cooled slightly, but most bigger markets in the country are still crazy.
Houses in my area (Greater Victoria) are still slowly moving. Prices have dropped off quite a bit since June. My house has been listed since June and not a single offer. Some other comparable houses have sold for quite less than what we're listed for. It's almost like it become illegal to buy a house all of a sudden.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:25 AM   #211
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to qualify @ 7% now, $1MM mortgage = $6653/mth for 30 year amortization.

Having said that home prices will not go down materially.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:32 AM   #212
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Double edit: completely botched this math

Last edited by The Fonz; 09-07-2022 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #213
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
You have to qualify @ 7% now, $1MM mortgage = $6653/mth for 30 year amortization.

It would actually be 2% above contract or the benchmark rate, whichever is higher. And it would be 25 years, not 30. Assuming you’re going with a lender that follows those guidelines. Some credit unions and other lenders do not.

But 7% probably is in the right range for the qualifying rate that would be used for most people based on current rates.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:44 AM   #214
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

Really depends a lot on the area that the houses are located in. I think we'll definitely see slides in outlying areas, that tend to be more linked to local salaries and actual affordability. Affordability for working families has definitely taken a hit.

I don't think we'll see that major crash though. The housing shortage issue only gets worse every day. The drop off we'll likely see will probably see things get closer to the way they were pre-pandemic. Then things will slowly start to creep up again as salaries go up. We'll also likely to see fixed rates drop below prime again, as the bond market changes.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:45 AM   #215
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It would actually be 2% above contract or the benchmark rate, whichever is higher. And it would be 25 years, not 30. Assuming you’re going with a lender that follows those guidelines. Some credit unions and other lenders do not.

But 7% probably is in the right range for the qualifying rate that would be used for most people based on current rates.
Yeah I think the 7% is the current qualifier, doesn't take into account today.

I use 30 because I'm being extremely generous. You can still get 30 year on high ratio loans.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #216
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Really depends a lot on the area that the houses are located in. I think we'll definitely see slides in outlying areas, that tend to be more linked to local salaries and actual affordability. Affordability for working families has definitely taken a hit.
A familiar refrain. Mostly wrong though.

Quote:
I don't think we'll see that major crash though. The housing shortage issue only gets worse every day. The drop off we'll likely see will probably see things get closer to the way they were pre-pandemic. Then things will slowly start to creep up again as salaries go up. We'll also likely to see fixed rates drop below prime again, as the bond market changes.
Bond rates are contingent on prime, not the other way around.

And let's keep some perspective here. The prime rate is now only 3.75%. Hardly the stuff of panic. But whoo, people suck at finances.

Regardless, it takes years to quell inflation. Years, boyos. Last time this idiocy happened it took two decades before rates normalized in Canada.

Last edited by Shazam; 09-07-2022 at 10:52 AM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:59 AM   #217
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
And let's keep some perspective here. The prime rate is now only 3.75%. Hardly the stuff of panic. But whoo, people suck at finances.
Isn't Prime up to 4.7% today?
Old 09-07-2022, 11:00 AM   #218
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I think the 7% is the current qualifier, doesn't take into account today.

I use 30 because I'm being extremely generous. You can still get 30 year on high ratio loans.
7% is not the benchmark and HR is limited to 25 years. Has been for a while.

BoC left the benchmark at 5.25 last I checked. Since it’s contract +2 or benchmark, they don’t really need to raise it. Not unless they see rates going so much higher that an entirely new benchmark is required.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:08 AM   #219
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Isn't Prime up to 4.7% today?
People seem to be confusing terms. Prime is set by each FI individually. As the BoC rate goes up, so too do most FIs raise their prime rate because it costs them more to borrow money.

Prime is usually the same at all FIs but can be slightly different from time to time. Not usually longer than a day, as they all tend to mirror changes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 11:09 AM   #220
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
7% is not the benchmark and HR is limited to 25 years. Has been for a while.

BoC left the benchmark at 5.25 last I checked. Since it’s contract +2 or benchmark, they don’t really need to raise it. Not unless they see rates going so much higher that an entirely new benchmark is required.
7% seems right then if it's rate + 2%, most fixed 5 year rates have been hovering around 5%.

Most people still get a fixed rate mortgage from the big banks.

Ah, HR is max 25 years. Conventional can be 30.