Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2023, 09:53 PM   #3421
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Mike Flanagan Netflix series go anything like odd/even Star Trek movie trends, we're in for a banger with his next show
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:57 AM   #3422
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
If Mike Flanagan Netflix series go anything like odd/even Star Trek movie trends, we're in for a banger with his next show
Midnight Club wasn't well received. And he's moved over to Amazon think to do a new series adaptation of The Dark Tower.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:14 AM   #3423
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, based on their adaptation track records, the only people I would trust with a Dark Tower series would be Flanagan or Darabont.

Then we can all pretend the movie didn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:03 PM   #3424
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on, how have I not heard of ‘The Devil’s Hour’ until now?! Really good.

And ironically with the last few posts, Flanagan fans should really like it.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:19 PM   #3425
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Midnight Club wasn't well received. And he's moved over to Amazon think to do a new series adaptation of The Dark Tower.
On a Flanagan kick, I'm working though 'Midnight Club' right now.

It seems on the surface to be a little 'Young Adult-y' but I dont perceive anything 'bad' about it, in fact I'm really enjoying it, much like Midnight Mass, Midnight Club plays with some pretty heavy themes.

I can see it being a little weird for some people, its definitely deep and thought provoking, its Flanagan after all.

You can see where he draws a lot of inspiration from King. He really likes taking themes and scenarios and slowly weaving the supernatural into it.

I'd say if anything, Midnight Club is underrated, but I'm only 2/3rds of the way through yet. I'd say its worth a watch. I'll give it a rating when I'm done.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 01:47 AM   #3426
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I watched the first three episodes of the new Night Court, and yeah, it pales in comparison to the memories I have of the original series. That said, my opinion is tempered by the fact that the original series took quite a while to really find its footing. A lot of people don't remember this, but the only cast members who were on the show from the beginning to end were Harry Anderson, John Larroquette, and Richard Moll. I don't think they really hit their stride until Markie Post () joined the cast, and that didn't even happen until the third season!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:36 AM   #3427
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved Night Court. Remember it so fondly. And I expect it was actually pretty bad, like almost every other 80's sitcom. I might watch the new one, but I doubt it.
The best part of memories is that it's not usually rooted in reality.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:17 AM   #3428
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 episodes in to Poker Face so far and I'm liking it. Seems like it will be a true serial -- story of its own for each episode, with elements of a larger overarching story being sprinkled in.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:38 AM   #3429
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, so I finished 'The Midnight Club.'

I would say that its pretty standard 'Flanagan Fare' in that it takes its themes and gradually weaves in some paranormal and otherworldly elements in a very 'Kingian' style.

As for The Midnight Club itself? It plays with some heavy themes, but overall I'd say I really enjoyed it. It didnt feel as though it had the same gravity as Midnight Mass, but it was still really good.

I dont think anyone let it down, but I could see a hesitancy to want to continue with it (it has been cancelled AFAIK).

I'd say its a good 7/10.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-28-2023, 12:48 PM   #3430
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would probably rank the Flanagan series in order of their release, although I have been a fan of all of them. Definitely disappointing that Midnight Club was cancelled- although I think it started to go down hill a bit on the last couple episodes of S1.

1/ hill house
2/ bly manor
3/ midnight mass
4/ midnight club
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 01:28 PM   #3431
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
I would probably rank the Flanagan series in order of their release, although I have been a fan of all of them. Definitely disappointing that Midnight Club was cancelled- although I think it started to go down hill a bit on the last couple episodes of S1.

1/ hill house
2/ bly manor
3/ midnight mass
4/ midnight club
Yeah...the overall theme that I'm getting, and its pretty clear just looking at that list...is that Flanagan works in limited doses.

He has a story to tell, he composes what he wants to happen within a framework and then executes within that plan.

I dont think he's a guy you go to for anything long-running. He has a planned beginning, middle and end.

Realistically a second Season of Midnight Club? It could have been done, but a lot of what was there was mined already. You could have a mostly new cast for another season? Pretty much the same with all them. He essentially wrapped them up and moved along.

Old 01-28-2023, 05:53 PM   #3432
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

White Lotus might be the most interesting uninteresting show I've watched. I think I like it, but it might be boring. I can't decide.

If it hadn't been for the hook at the very start I'm not sure I would still be watching.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:13 AM   #3433
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah...the overall theme that I'm getting, and its pretty clear just looking at that list...is that Flanagan works in limited doses.

He has a story to tell, he composes what he wants to happen within a framework and then executes within that plan.

I dont think he's a guy you go to for anything long-running. He has a planned beginning, middle and end.

Realistically a second Season of Midnight Club? It could have been done, but a lot of what was there was mined already. You could have a mostly new cast for another season? Pretty much the same with all them. He essentially wrapped them up and moved along.
Mike has a blog post somewhere that explains what Season 2 would have been.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:02 PM   #3434
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I watched the first three episodes of the new Night Court, and yeah, it pales in comparison to the memories I have of the original series. That said, my opinion is tempered by the fact that the original series took quite a while to really find its footing. A lot of people don't remember this, but the only cast members who were on the show from the beginning to end were Harry Anderson, John Larroquette, and Richard Moll. I don't think they really hit their stride until Markie Post () joined the cast, and that didn't even happen until the third season!
Similarly I watched all ten episodes of That '90s Show this weekend. And yeah, it pales in comparison to the memories I have of That '70s Show, but... you know what? I don't give a ####, it was fun. It was fun seeing Debra Jo Rupp (who apparently barely aged in the last 15 years) and Kurtwood Smith reprise the roles of Kitty and Red Forman. It was fun seen cameos by Topher Grace, Laura Prepon, Ashton Kutcher, Mila Kunis, Tommy Chong, Wilmer Valderrama, Don Stark and Jim Rash. It was fun watching a show about a group of kids just... having fun!

I love dramas as much as anyone, but sometimes you just need a break from that. That '90s Show perfectly capitalizes on my memories of both That '70s Show and of being a teen in the '90s and hanging out at my grandparents' in the summers.

Spoiler!
Old 01-31-2023, 06:25 PM   #3435
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

https://deadline.com/2023/01/king-of...235245072/amp/

King of the Hill is back
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 06:58 PM   #3436
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Saladin Patterson (The Wonder Years, The Last O.G.) will join the production as executive producer and showrunner. 3 Arts’ Michael Rotenberg and Howard Klein, and Bandera Entertainment’s Dustin Davis will serve as executive producers.

<...>

“Yeah, man I tell you whot man, that dang Ol’ Greg, talking about O.G. and then that Mike Judge … Inspirations, man … the original show, dang ol’ classic … Got my kids, man, walking around talking about ‘That’s my purse! I don’t know you!’ Feeling blessed, man, I tell you whot ‘Feel so Good’ is a great song, I don’t care what no-dang-body says …” added Patterson in an appropriate statement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 09:42 PM   #3437
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll never not laugh at Mike Judge's inspiration for Boomhauer's voice:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 10:22 PM   #3438
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I'll never not laugh at Mike Judge's inspiration for Boomhauer's voice:
Here's the actual voicemail that Mike Judge kept

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 10:28 PM   #3439
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

That's amazing! I thought 100% that was a made for talk show story that didn't actually happen.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 10:34 PM   #3440
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Here's the actual voicemail that Mike Judge kept

If that had been me I'd be contacting Mike Judge to claim that beauty.