Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2022, 06:42 AM   #121
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I'm not sure if Vladar was really any better than Markstrom would have been (and Vladar let in a goal that Markstrom would have been chastised for) but for me I just felt more confident in him. And those saves in the 3rd when it was still 4-2 only bolstered that feeling. Wonder if the team felt the same way.
Yeah, making timely saves is everything. And he did exactly that.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 07:19 AM   #122
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
If Florida misses the playoffs, does Montreal get the 1st?
Here's the only condition I see on Florida's pick:

If the Panthers’ 2022 first-rounder, previously dealt to Buffalo, ends up being a top-10 pick, the 2023 selection goes to Buffalo instead.

Obviously, that 2022 pick did not end up top 10, since Florida made the playoffs last year. So, right now the 2023 pick is unprotected from what I can tell
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 07:36 AM   #123
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Blasty jerseys are amazing, intimidating on the ice. love to see them!
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:45 AM   #124
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The Tkachuk and Monahan trades involved the 2024/2025/2026 draft picks, so this year's results won't have any impact on which pick moves.
You sure?

Doesn't it likely move the clause on the 2023 pick they traded with team X back a year and with that a ripple effect to the Calgary pick?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:53 AM   #125
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some encouraging things in that game:

1) We won the goaltending battle. Vladar said he had it pretty easy, but there were a few key saves, the saves on Tkachuk were huge, and there were a few good ones when it was 4-2 and a goal would have put the game in doubt. Like with PPs, timeliness is more important than the stats

2) They were on their toes - at least in the 1st and 3rd periods. And they generated chances off the rush.

3) Multi-point games from Huberdeau, Mangiapane and Dube - just what the doctor ordered. I thought that was Mangiapane's best game this year, he was engaged and effective.

The biggest concern with this team for me, other than the goaltending, is the breakout. The do the same thing over and over, and it is completely ineffective. The Dman throws it to the winger on the half wall, who has his back to the opposing defenseman, which allows that defenseman to pinch, cutting off the breakout and keeping the puck in the zone. Some shifts, they go through this same sequence 4 or 5 times. They really need to be more creative with the breakout because right now it is causing them to spend way too much time in their own zone.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 08:02 AM   #126
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was fortunate enough to get tickets to the game last night.

Scoring early and lots rocks.
Black jerseys rock.
Booing/Cheering/Booing Chucky rocks.
Killer goaltending rocks.

Stupid trumpet guy - eat an entire bag of penasia.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:03 AM   #127
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
You sure?

Doesn't it likely move the clause on the 2023 pick they traded with team X back a year and with that a ripple effect to the Calgary pick?
No, Florida's 2023 belongs to Montreal from the Chiarot trade. It could have moved to 2024 if the pick from the Reinhart trade had moved to 2023, but it didn't. There are no further conditions on it.

Florida's 2024, 2025, and 2026 first rounders are all still up in the air between Philly and Calgary/Montreal, but their 2023 is locked in.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:20 AM   #128
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sam Bennett Sucks
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:49 AM   #129
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
No, Florida's 2023 belongs to Montreal from the Chiarot trade. It could have moved to 2024 if the pick from the Reinhart trade had moved to 2023, but it didn't. There are no further conditions on it.

Florida's 2024, 2025, and 2026 first rounders are all still up in the air between Philly and Calgary/Montreal, but their 2023 is locked in.
Yikes, no first round pick for them for 4 straight years, and two of them for rentals that are already gone. Better hope your scouts find some diamonds in the rough...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:52 AM   #130
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Flames were smart not to fall for Tkachuk's #### especially with the big lead. Like the puck flip on Zadarov and he just skates away. Tkachuk feeds off that stuff and they gave him nothing...likely a game plan.
Classic Tkacchuk.

It's easier to see his faults, now that the rose colored glasses are off. I liked what he brought to the team, and would've rather still had him here, but he's an extremely selfish player. Not in the sense of shoot first before pass kinda thing, obviously, but like as smartest person in Edmonton said in the ATL, he always lets big moments get to him. Until he matures, he's never going to be a playoff performer. He wants to do it all, be the star, and he lets his emotions get to him, which he can't seem to reign in.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:02 AM   #131
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Was fortunate enough to get tickets to the game last night.

Scoring early and lots rocks.
Black jerseys rock.
Booing/Cheering/Booing Chucky rocks.
Killer goaltending rocks.

Stupid trumpet guy - eat an entire bag of penasia.
Solid Louis CK reference.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 09:11 AM   #132
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely enjoyed this win! Good to see the offense break out, even with a listless 2nd period.

Great performance by Vladar. Don't really care that Markstrom makes more or is "Sutter's guy". Who gives a flying fark. Start Vladar again and ride the hot hand. Flames can't really afford to be waiting for Markstrom to right his ship while being a bubble team. Ride Vladar as far as he can go until Markstrom starts proving his worth, whether that be in practice or as more of a back up role.

Hilarious to see the fan's reaction towards Tkachuk. Boo him while he's playing ,but standing O at the tribute. That's how it should be done. Will still miss the guy though. Very conflicting hearing the 'Dome rain boos on him, but all in good fun.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 09:31 AM   #133
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Some encouraging things in that game:

1) We won the goaltending battle. Vladar said he had it pretty easy, but there were a few key saves, the saves on Tkachuk were huge, and there were a few good ones when it was 4-2 and a goal would have put the game in doubt. Like with PPs, timeliness is more important than the stats

2) They were on their toes - at least in the 1st and 3rd periods. And they generated chances off the rush.

3) Multi-point games from Huberdeau, Mangiapane and Dube - just what the doctor ordered. I thought that was Mangiapane's best game this year, he was engaged and effective.

The biggest concern with this team for me, other than the goaltending, is the breakout. The do the same thing over and over, and it is completely ineffective. The Dman throws it to the winger on the half wall, who has his back to the opposing defenseman, which allows that defenseman to pinch, cutting off the breakout and keeping the puck in the zone. Some shifts, they go through this same sequence 4 or 5 times. They really need to be more creative with the breakout because right now it is causing them to spend way too much time in their own zone.
I am encouraged as well, but still lots to clean up. We won the goaltending battle pretty clearly, but we still lack some cohesiveness in moving the puck up the ice on the rush (and breakouts as you mention).

Their zone entry on the PP is just pathetic though. Without Johnny, they really need to improve that part of the game.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:36 AM   #134
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't recall if it was pre-game or post-game but Tkachuk mentioned that other former Flames players have been booed by the Saddledome before. I only recall Fox and possibly James Neal; I don't believe Bennett, Rittich, Brodie, Gio, or any other former players in recent memory getting booed in any meaningful way.

Looking ahead, I can see Johnny getting the same treatment when Columbus rolls into town, only a louder ovation and probably louder boos. That said, I don't think anyone particularly cares about Gudbranson returning (lol).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:48 AM   #135
Dr. Pepper
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Props to the ladies that showed up for warmups and went to the glass with a sign that said "Chucky, I thought Panthers were supposed to be quick"
Went with my bro to the game who has very nice season tix (1st row balcony) - sat right beside her - we were trying to get her on the jumbotron all game - no dice (as far as we could tell). Her family paid big bucks to go to this game to troll Chuckster. #worthit

Also - game observations. Darth Vladar stole this game guys. Lots of grade-A chances from the tabbies he turned aside. He's just better than Marky right now. We need Marky to return to form eventually as I think he may have a higher ceiling on ability - but in my mind Danny deserves the bulk of starts until Marky gets more steady. I think the Flames may agree based on the last 4 games. But this game could've easily been a 5-4 or 5-5 game late.

Jerseys - LOTS of love for both the alternate blasty they played in tonight in the dome - tons of them being worn at the dome. Also LOTS of love for the reverse retros - also quite a few of them at the dome tonight. I might get one of those - I have to see how the RR's look on the ice first.

And lastly - shout out to the 2 guys sitting next to me who showed up with classic red chucky flames jerseys to start the game, clapped for him during the tribute (as did I) - then in the first intermission went and bought new Huberdeau jerseys (one got a RR, and the other an alt Blasty). Hilarious. Tip of the hat gents - well played.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:28 AM   #136
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Pft. Still went in WWWEEEEAAAAKKKK. Give me a goalie who gets 82 shutouts or else they have a mentality and preparation problem. Weak!
And still they're contract will be an anchor in the last couple of years.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:59 AM   #137
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
This needs a Blasty version.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 12:51 PM   #138
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I don't recall if it was pre-game or post-game but Tkachuk mentioned that other former Flames players have been booed by the Saddledome before. I only recall Fox and possibly James Neal; I don't believe Bennett, Rittich, Brodie, Gio, or any other former players in recent memory getting booed in any meaningful way.

Looking ahead, I can see Johnny getting the same treatment when Columbus rolls into town, only a louder ovation and probably louder boos. That said, I don't think anyone particularly cares about Gudbranson returning (lol).

Dion Phaneuf.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 01:16 PM   #139
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was saying gooo-dbranson.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:07 PM   #140
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but what was the crowd chanting with about 3+ minutes left in the third? Couldn’t make it out on TV.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote