Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 11-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #3101
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hamilton has had really good partners, Chara and Gio, maybe he tops out as a Shattenkirk type of player. Furland is what he is, a 20/20 player with 3-5 fights a year.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #3102
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope Ferland slows down a little bit, i don't want him to be TOO expensive when he signs in Calgary in the offseason.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #3103
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
I hope Ferland slows down a little bit, i don't want him to be TOO expensive when he signs in Calgary in the offseason.
Well if he does become expensive he won’t be signing here. With the current group of forwards he is second line at best.... just my opinion.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #3104
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland can play half a season elsewhere thanks
Old 11-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #3105
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Wayne Simmonds would still be a nice pick-up this year, perhaps a hired gun going in to this season's playoffs?

(Most of his $3,975,000 cap hit will have been paid out by then.)

You would think if that deal went down there would've been some discussion to Simmonds re-signing with the Flames.

Wayne has had a great start to the season, 6 goals in 11 games.
Our right side is good. No need to give up good assets just to push neal down the lineup
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #3106
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Ferland can play half a season elsewhere thanks
Don't know about that, he might be really breaking out. He's getting 3.5 shots per game this year, compared to 1.8ish last year. That's quite the step forward. Still hitting, playing on the pp, not looking out of place with great players. I could see 30-30 from ferly this year and a $5mish payday for 5+ years. He's good.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 01:13 PM   #3107
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Giordano now with 15 points in 14 games (2-13-15), while Hamilton is sitting at 2-3-5 (one less game). Wonder who's missing who?
Tyler Dellow has a pet theory...

dellowhockey‏Verified account @dellowhockey Oct 3
I have a pet theory that Mark Giordano actually has aged, we just couldn't tell because Hamilton was an upgrade on Brodie.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #3108
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
Tyler Dellow has a pet theory...

dellowhockey‏Verified account @dellowhockey Oct 3
I have a pet theory that Mark Giordano actually has aged, we just couldn't tell because Hamilton was an upgrade on Brodie.
Guys like Dellow & Craig Button & Kent Wilson navel gaze Hamilton ignoring his warts. Yeah he gets puck on net, skates well, & has a great outlet pass. But they ignore his mindless play & that he ghosted the Flames for 7-10 days after the season was done last year.

Kent’s articles are increasingly becoming hot garbage on the Athletic. It’s full of constant negative narratives. I think what clarified to me how terrible his articles are is how excellent Darren Haynes work is. He presents information that is insightful.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 01:44 PM   #3109
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ agreed.

Kent Wilson. Ugh. I stopped reading his stuff years ago because of a pet theory that stats drive his narrative, and he doesn’t watch hockey because he is looking at his computer while the game is at best on in the background. Fine, he is trying to make a livelihood out of it. Good on these guys for making a living due to the amount of time they spend with data.

But in the data - information - knowledge spectrum, I don’t see a sufficient understanding of the game they are trying to describe via measurement, to graduate to the knowledge level

They are like grinders that think they can be top liners.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #3110
Metro Gnome
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
^ agreed.

Kent Wilson. Ugh. I stopped reading his stuff years ago because of a pet theory that stats drive his narrative, and he doesn’t watch hockey because he is looking at his computer while the game is at best on in the background. Fine, he is trying to make a livelihood out of it. Good on these guys for making a living due to the amount of time they spend with data.

But in the data - information - knowledge spectrum, I don’t see a sufficient understanding of the game they are trying to describe via measurement, to graduate to the knowledge level

They are like grinders that think they can be top liners.
My guess is I watch far hockey than you.

I played hockey for eight years as a kid. I coached hockey as a young man. I scouted it. My brother played for the Alberta Selects. My father ran the Bow Valley Hockey Association. I've met with teams regarding my work. I have contemporaries now working for teams in their analytics departments. I built an entire online Flames publication from practically nothing.

I have a particular niche I fill in the hockey publishing/analysis world, so that's the angle I write from. I built that niche from on my own time through more than decade of work, often after or between other jobs I work to pay the bills. I don't think it's unfair to say that the way hockey is talked about and analyzed now in the media in general has changed, in part because of my work.

I'm okay with people not liking the stats angle. Charts and standard deviations aren't for everyone. I accept that I am more about criticism than optimism as well. But I'll be damned if people sitting on a message board who have never meaningfully contributed to hockey thought or analysis get to sneer that I don't watch hockey or that I "don't understand the game."

I'm not perfect but I'll stand behind my long body of work, including many of the predictions I've made over the years. And if anyone would like to engage me in debate over the specifics of my efforts or a particular conclusion, that's great. But the potshots at my effort level, or general knowledge...I put a lot into who I am and what I've built. I'm also proud of it and I do the best work I can.
Metro Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #3111
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hold on. Metro Gnome is Kent Wilson or is this some sort of meta take on what he would say?
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #3112
steveo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Hold on. Metro Gnome is Kent Wilson or is this some sort of meta take on what he would say?
that's Kent.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #3113
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
This thread has just become a lot more interesting!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #3114
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Love ya, Kent!

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #3115
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has dellow followed up on his Gio pet theory? A lot of hockey has been played since Oct 3rd.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:43 PM   #3116
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
that's Kent.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 03:47 PM   #3117
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
Don't know about that, he might be really breaking out. He's getting 3.5 shots per game this year, compared to 1.8ish last year. That's quite the step forward. Still hitting, playing on the pp, not looking out of place with great players. I could see 30-30 from ferly this year and a $5mish payday for 5+ years. He's good.
Lets wait and see...he really dried up last season.

If he puts up the numbers you say he will likely get 6+

wouldn't be for me on a long term deal
Old 11-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #3118
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Damn son, well played Mr Wilson.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #3119
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

I also haven't read Kent Wilson for quite some time other than the times he's rushed to defend himself on this site!
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #3120
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Gnome View Post
My guess is I watch far hockey than you.

I'm not perfect but I'll stand behind my long body of work, including many of the predictions I've made over the years. And if anyone would like to engage me in debate over the specifics of my efforts or a particular conclusion, that's great. But the potshots at my effort level, or general knowledge...I put a lot into who I am and what I've built. I'm also proud of it and I do the best work I can.
Good for you. I myself watch far and near hockey.

I am a big fan of stats and their potential value.

Congratulations on your decades of effort, and work, I am glad you are proud of it, and that you stand behind it. You should be.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote