Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2024, 11:24 AM   #3841
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are things about quantum mechanics and potentially dimensionality we don't understand. It's probably unwise to say that FTL communication is totally impossible. But impossible with our current understanding of physics and the universe.

Is it possible without violating causality in some way? Hm.

The thing about the warp drive is that it seems to preserve a universal frame of reference- in the show. I.e. if you drive away from earth at warp factor 9, turn around and drive back at warp factor 9 after a light year, you don't wind up at past earth (unless you also whip around the sun a few times on the way lol). This is not how it would theoretically work in real life, where indeed you could wind up backwards in time. But, wouldn't this be outside of your light cone? I don't know.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 11:26 AM   #3842
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or maybe, because you're creating a sort of singularity with the warp bubble, you could consider exiting the warp bubble as akin to exiting a black hole in another universe?
Relevant youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6akmv1bsz1M
Old 05-02-2024, 11:30 AM   #3843
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh, simulation is glitching as Space time just released a video on the link between this and entanglement yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rogm_lpVZYU

I am going to watch it at lunch.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:17 PM   #3844
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
There are things about quantum mechanics and potentially dimensionality we don't understand. It's probably unwise to say that FTL communication is totally impossible. But impossible with our current understanding of physics and the universe.

Is it possible without violating causality in some way? Hm.

The thing about the warp drive is that it seems to preserve a universal frame of reference- in the show. I.e. if you drive away from earth at warp factor 9, turn around and drive back at warp factor 9 after a light year, you don't wind up at past earth (unless you also whip around the sun a few times on the way lol). This is not how it would theoretically work in real life, where indeed you could wind up backwards in time. But, wouldn't this be outside of your light cone? I don't know.

Agreed, at some point all of our laws of physics and general science will inevitably change or evolve.

While people consider the laws of physics to be absolute. There are subsets of those laws that change over time. Remember too that the universe is constantly changing, so that in itself will change reactions to the change.

I remember reading a popular mechanics article that talked about the universe itself being the key element of change and because the universe is not constant, it does force a evolution of the absolute laws.

Also the humans that are defining these laws are fallible. All it takes is a bad day after a night of vodka bombs for someone to forget to carry a 9.

Also remember that according to understanding, that cars at one time was an existential threat to survival because the human body couldn't maintain its cohesiveness if it travelled at greater then 50 mph.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:02 PM   #3845
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just finished Season 4. Again with some very strong episodes, including Family (the Picard winery), Reunion (the return of K'ehleyr and K'mpec), The Wounded (Cardassians!), Clues (makes no sense on re-watch but was pretty good at the time), Qpid (I am not a Merry Man!), The Drumhead, (a non-Trumpian witch hunt) and a great finale in Redemption.

Awesome guest stars again, with the return of Elizabeth Dennehy, George Murdock, Suzie Plakson and Tony Todd, as well as giving us David Ogden Stiers and Bob Gunton.

Other high points saw the making of O'Brien as an actual character, the expansion of the Klingon story and thus Worf's, the best Lwaxana episode (admittedly not a high-bar to clear). We see the Cardassians get introduced, as well as the Trill (although differently then they would show up on DS9), and the removal of Wesley, who I liked as a kid, but he was so snotty in his final episode as a regular. Also the introduction of Lursa and B'etor, who would go on to last as villians until Generations.

Low points included one last Wesley-saves-the-day, a bit of a let-down to THe Best of Both Worlds, and the introduction of both Alexander and Sela.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 05:28 PM   #3846
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was hoping in the future that they would make O'Brien into a serial killer.

Pretty much the lowest ranked guy on the ship, stuck in the tranporter room by himself. Asked to scrub Barclay DNA out of the holodeck emitters.

"Fix this, Clean this, beam this, I'll show you all"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 06:19 PM   #3847
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Sela as a low point is a bit of a shock. I thought they did a great job with that.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:26 PM   #3848
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sela itself was a fine idea. The execution, namely in that they did nothing with her after this and Unification, is a whole other thing.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote